Nugget Shooter Forums
Geo Joe

Federal Antiquities Act?

If I find a mason jar full of gold coins on federal land, do I have to leave it where I found it? How old does it have to be, to be an antique? 60 years? 100 years?

If I found a jar of gold coins, you can bet your last dollar... I would walk away with a jar of gold coins. :inocent:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Really? You wouldn't leave it for others to enjoy?

9 minutes ago, ArcticDave said:

If I found a jar of gold coins, you can bet your last dollar... I would walk away with a jar of gold coins. :inocent:

No, from memory, precious metals, coins not protected

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Geo Joe said:

Really? You wouldn't leave it for others to enjoy?

I can live with that pain...:evil1:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Image result for its a trap

• Haha 3

Well, no body goes where i go so i dont have to worry about leaving them for someone else to see. 

Just kidding. When I find stuff, I take a photo with it then I rebury it for the next person to take.

• Hmmmmmm 1

I got to find something worth while first , then I can decide......:idunno:

• Like 2

get the law and read it...something most 'crats have not done.

• Like 2

Yes I searched the law but could not find anything about coins. One place says 60 years another place says 100. There was a lot of old ore milling equipment in the way on a claim in Montana, but we were not allowed to move or disturb it,  according to the ranger.

• Hmmmmmm 1

470 kk(b) refers to coins

470bb. Definitions As used in this chapter— (1) The term "archaeological resource" means any material remains of past human life or activities which are of archaeological interest, as determined under uniform regulations promulgated pursuant to this chapter. Such regulations containing such determination shall include, but not be limited to: pottery, basketry, bottles, weapons, weapon projectiles, tools, structures or portions of structures, pit houses, rock paintings, rock carvings, intaglios, graves, human skeletal materials, or any portion or piece of any of the foregoing items. Nonfossilized and fossilized paleontological specimens, or any portion or piece thereof, shall not be considered archaeological resources, under the regulations under this paragraph, unless found in archaeological context. No item shall be treated as an archaeological resource under regulations under this paragraph unless such item is at least 100 years of age 470kk. Savings provisions (a) Mining, mineral leasing, reclamation, and other multiple uses Nothing in this chapter shall be construed to repeal, modify, or impose additional restrictions on the activities permitted under existing laws and authorities relating to mining, mineral leasing, reclamation, and other multiple uses of the public lands. (b) Private collections Nothing in this chapter applies to, or requires a permit for, the collection for private purposes of any rock, coin, bullet, or mineral which is not an archaeological resource, as determined under uniform regulations promulgated under section 470bb(1) of this title

470kk. Savings provisions

(a) Mining, mineral leasing, reclamation, and other multiple uses

Nothing in this chapter shall be construed to repeal, modify, or impose additional restrictions on the activities permitted under existing laws and authorities relating to mining, mineral leasing, reclamation, and other multiple uses of the public lands.

(b) Private collections

Nothing in this chapter applies to, or requires a permit for, the collection for private purposes of any rock, coin, bullet, or mineral which is not an archaeological resource, as determined under uniform regulations promulgated under section 470bb(1) of this title

• Like 1

What Coins ?

Read the first post.......

So the way i read it, coins dont fall under the act?

unless they are 100 years old....

on birth/death certificate person is decedent, deceased, not from mother earth but in the artificial, fictitious corporate world. they have no authority nor jurisdiction over natives on native soil. simple

I only keep relics when hunting private property... simple as that.

• Like 3