Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
watermain

Idaho nuggetshooting

Can anyone tell me if there are any good spots in the desert areas of Idaho to do some nuggetshooting? I'm not looking for specifics, just a general idea. I miss hunting in the desert.

Since you mention the desert areas in Idaho I assume you are talking about southern Idaho. For nugget shooting, most guys I know are driving a few hours further south and hitting Nevada. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, IDdesertman said:

Since you mention the desert areas in Idaho I assume you are talking about southern Idaho. For nugget shooting, most guys I know are driving a few hours further south and hitting Nevada. 

Wait. Theres gold here??

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

^^ Not anymore. I heard that all the nuggets have now been found. :D 

• Haha 3

Perhaps if you could elaborate beyond "desert areas of Idaho" you will get a some better info from folks. That's a pretty big area and a tad vague. Trying to do any nuggetshooting south of the Snake River is going to be a wasted effort except for a few very select areas until you get down into NV. The link that Dakota Slim shared is from my website. Free info and a good start. 

• Like 3

There's gold all over Idaho.  Buy a few books specific to Idaho, and start researching online.  Idaho Geological Survey seems like a logical place to start (https://www.idahogeology.org/webmap).  From firsthand experience I can tell you that Owyhee County has nice gold, plus some beautiful remote and wild country.  I only used a sluice and gold pan there, but I suspect metal detecting might be good, too.

• Like 1

Aha!  Per IDdesertman, maybe metal detecting in the Owyhees wouldn't be so great.  I stand corrected.   

IDdesertman, thanks again. I was thinking of primarily the SW part of the state towards NV. I should have been more specific.

You bet. in the SW part you could try Silver City area but I've never seen much in the way of nugget-sized gold from that area. Not to say its not their but I haven't seen much detectable size gold. Venture south a few more hours and you'll be in nugget country. 

• Like 1

Those Mormon crickets you run over in those desert areas are worth 25 cents each if you can keep them alive and know where to sell them. 

Here's a map that shows where you can find buyers...

http://www.pikeminnow.org/station-directions

• Like 1