Nugget Shooter Forums

Sometimes gold can show up in the oddest places. You wont find it though if you are not thinking like gold. 

Headed over to Wickenburg today for a little fun in the sun :black_knight_standing:.... On the way I passed a large number of cyclists spread out over 20 miles or so. Each group or team had their own support vehicles following closely.... Turns out they are some very serious and accomplished athletes participating in the " Race Across America"....Really cool and I`m glad to have seen some of them.

Heres a link to their up to date current positions on the road.   http://www.raceacrossamerica.org/live-tracking.html

Race across america.jpg

Ok , Back to the gold hunting .....  I managed to get 3 pieces for today, and two of the pieces came from the top of an outcrop...Literally , just an odd place, but it sure was there...The beginning of a new project? maybe so  :89:

To give you a better perspective , here`s a shot of the scene...My red scoop is where the larger piece was beeped.

IMG_1276.JPG

It was extremely coarse gold on that outcrop....I found one more tiny piece a foot below the bigger one. The third , a specimen was found a little ways away down in a gully...

IMG_1279.JPG

IMG_1284.JPG

Hope you enjoyed!  Get out there and find some..:brows:

• Like 14
  • well done 5

Great job Adam. Looks good.

Nice going Adam, looks like corn flake gold.  Bet you were wishing that you were back out racing with those guys.  

Old Tom

• Like 2

Nice perseverance. Those 2 outcrop finds change everything. I'll be in touch.

Right on! nice work hope you keep popping nuggets out of that outcrop zone!

49 minutes ago, boulder dash said:

Nice perseverance. Those 2 outcrop finds change everything. I'll be in touch.

Many rivers here in Ca. used to flow North to South...and parts of those rivers now sit on the top of ridges...what is now a valley, may very well have been a mountaintop at some point in earths geologic past....

• Like 1

Taking a really long distance look back in time one realizes that oceans once may have covered an area that is now dry land.  Thinking like a gold nugget, one then realizes that there are many, many iterations of differing geologic possibilities to explain the seeming randomness of where nuggets are found.  The good news is that sometimes nuggets are found in patches and after several patches are found a larger "rear view" time mirror begins to take shape in the form of an extensive "field" comprised of the many patches.  That is where I usually try to concentrate my efforts.  This is so because by focussing on zones where the gold pops up in bunches the odds then begin to work in my favor.  Sometimes though -- many times actually -- when searching for patches we all encounter the mystifying "lone wolf" nuggets that just seem to defy all explanations.  And that is part of the charm or lore of nugget shooting that makes it, IMHO, such a satisfying and challenging endeavor.

• Like 4

Very nice adam, thanks for sharing your adventure. I forsee more to come from that hillside!

Man...you are so LUCKY. you just stumble on it. :)
WTG.

Tom H.

Very cool, Adam.  Thank you for taking the time to share the pictures and for keeping the fever alive in us.

Thanks for the pics.  Looks like an ancient bench and the gold actually looks pretty dark.  Wonder what it's mixed with.

Way to go adam !!;

I have checked many, many bankside and hillside outcrops like that over the years, but have never had much luck running across nuggets that way (not yet anyway).  And I still do swing over them (ya never know till you do it).  Some guys (like you) are much better at eeking-out those nuggets in those locations, while I am much more adept at taking the "lowpoint" approach within the washes, and reading the wash to use indicators of nugget-drop (catch)-locations.  So I like starting from the bedrock-gut-of a wash with the intent of searching out a nugget-path either on upstream, or tracking it up a feeder-tributary (or outcrop on the bank), or up onto a hillside.  Utilizing the approach that works best for you, based on whatever works at a particular location(s) is the way to go, as long as it provides a given amount of gold.  I agree with TomH;... I think that you must be a gold-magnet, as you seem to just stumble onto it without much effort.  Gary

I found a little patch like that once. All the gold seemed to hang up on the rim of an outcropping. Very weird as I didn't find any gold under it down in the wash were you would expect most of it to be, although I suppose someone could've come by and got them already. If not for some good looking color changes in the soil I probably wouldn't have spent much time in the area at all. Good finds Adam and hopefully more to come from that spot... 

You got it right Adam, and just when you think you've got gold all figured out, you find that new nugget that defies all the rules. the rules as you understand them. every nugget you find is a new learning experience. always analyze why that nugget is there and chalk it up to a new rule learned. I think you have caught on to one of the best secrets in nugget hunting Adam.
AzNuggetBob

17 hours ago, chrisski said:

Looks like an ancient bench and the gold actually looks pretty dark.  Wonder what it's mixed with.

Its just an orange stain, its quite golden when it cleaned up and as coarse as it gets.  The site is not near any creek, so a traditional term of a "bench" would not apply here.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, TomH said:

Man...you are so LUCKY. you just stumble on it. :)
WTG.

Tom H.

I`m waiting for the one that I trip over :brows:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I don't think he is stumbling on to them.

AzNuggetBob

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah, 'stumble' is not how I would characterize what he is doing...

• Like 1

Ahhhh...I think hes just bumping around and really doesn't know what hes doing.  Hes just lucky :poostorm:

Tom H.

• Haha 5

Posted (edited)

As long as you're in gold country, there's often no rhyme or reason for gold being where it is. I've seen this many times and this is another example.

Edited by Morlock

Good stuff ADAM, put a lil sugar on the large one an you'll have a "Frosted Flake" !
Hapy Huntn.

• Like 1

Yep new project me thinks, interesting area.....

Posted (edited)

A few years ago when I was teaching courses on prospecting, nugget hunting with detectors more specifically. It was then I realized how much I had learned/progressed in prospecting,nugget hunting over the years. It was then I realized how naive some nube's/people can be when it comes to prospecting.

AzNuggetBob

Edited by AzNuggetBob
  • Like 1
  • Hmmmmmm 1

Adam I think your doing a great job hitting those benches or bedrock outcrops. those are areas most hunters overlook. many are convinced that all the gold is in the present creek or wash. many don't understand that at one time the bottom or flow of the wash may have been on one side or the other and much higher before the wash eroded down to where it is now, abandoning the gold up high.  Adam I think your going to do well.  :)
AzNuggetBob

• Like 1

Well ... sometimes you find gold where other people have not looked!

Sometimes you find gold others missed.

Other times you don't find gold.

Do I have everything covered now?

WTG

Mitchel

• Like 1