Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
azdigger

Campground Hunt 800....Equinox 800

Went to a campground that is a bit out of the way today. About 5000ft elevation and it was cold there...felt good.

I very slowly hunted all over 3 camp sites that was not busy.

Had a squirrel come sit on a rock about 10ft from me and give me a piece of his mind. I think he wanted a munchie to pay for hunting in his place.

Well all in all I found 23 cents in pennies , 4 dimes ,and one nickel..we wont count the bottle caps and pull tabs.

Looking forward to the 6 inch coil...I could not get too close to the tables or fire pits.

I did good and had fun today.

• Like 6

Hunting areas where one encounters a lot of small modern non-ferrous trash to me is the HARDEST type of metal detecting there is. Ha! Comparable to finding a nugget patch in the midst of a quail/dove hunting lease. My finds are about like what you found with a good handful or two of aluminum screw-caps to boot. Best of luck to you AzDigger  and that 6" coil should help isolate the goodies from the trash and allow you to get somewhat closer to metal structures.

• Like 2

Got the coil ordered , so when it is released I will be inline.  I did find a lot of pull tabs and bottle caps , but I am getting to where I can call them before digging.....it beeped I dig.....works for me

• Like 1

Are you primarily looking at the visual reading in order to call the target before digging along with audio? Most of my past detecting has been using a "beep and dig" type VLF detector hunting older sites. I kept discrimination at 0 and just listened for the non-ferrous hits to emerge from the sea of ferrous. Those older sites weren't infested with all that modern non-ferrous trash which for me makes it a lot tougher. 

• Like 1

I have it set on 5 tones and listen then look at numbers to confirm....works so far . Not 100% but close enough......I just look like a fruit talking to my machine and the ground...:ya:

• Like 2

It is killer on nickles dead on at 13.....

• Like 1

14 and 15 is killer on bottle caps too , I got a nice collection....been finding .22's but they are live.....think it is the lead.

• Like 1

Going back to the campground on Monday....hunting again.

• Like 1