Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
GeoJack

Gold Daze - Family coming

Having my brother, sister, two nieces, two grand nieces up for the weekend for my first "Gold Daze" treat to show them prospecting. They all live down in the city so should be fun.

Have some panning tubs set up, a big bag of classified material from the claim that I will salt with a nice .2g nugget for both the nieces to find. Also have my portable backhoe set up for them to try if they want.

There will be metal detecting on the mine dump material. Set up with a full sheet of plywood raised on cinder blocks off the side of the hill for raking the material out onto and rake down. Small quad trailer fits under the plywood for moving the material to the fill area. Quad rides, rides in the back of my pickup and maybe a hike down to our claim in the canyon.

Have plans on taking them on a tour of our local gold mine, Gold Bug Mine in Placerville and maybe a tour of the California Gold Discovery Park in Coloma which is just over the hill. But that is if they so desire, not to push them into it.

They will be camping on my property so have a "campground" set up.  Should be fun, good moonless night sky to look at the planets and Milky Way.

Any other suggestions for a couple of young and not so young girls first time?

20180613_151744(0).jpg

• Like 6

Sounds Like fun and good memories about to happen.

Hey Rick, can I come and join the fun?

Just kidding. Looks like you have a great weekend planned. Hope you can get them hooked into a great hobby.

• Like 1

Lots of pictures and no phones. :)

Tom H.

• Like 1

Morning started with the 7 yo niece bringing her pan into the house for me to check it for au. She is saving the pyrites or " putting them back to grow bigger" as I have commented on small gold flakes we return to the stream. Star watching resulting in views of Jupiter's moons and the craters on the moon. We have new prospector in our midst. 

• Like 4

Matt, anytime. Campground is open as is the claim(s). 

• Like 2

Sounds and looks fun...

i haven't done this yet with my nieces but when they come up we're gonna "shoot rubber bands at the stars" on a blanket and talk over hot cocoa. You've done a great job creating memories for a lifetime. Well done.

• Like 4

Going underground. Fun time had by all.

20180616_115240(0).jpg

• Like 5

Looks like a lot of fun.

Posted (edited)

Converts. The hook is set. Can't tell you how many hours it took me to find the two / three pieces of gold I put in their pans but the results were worth a lifetime.

35815126_10212540146760463_7991110992958324736_o (1).jpg

Edited by GeoJack
  • Like 5
  • well done 2

The best part, these girls are addicted to electronics and didn't even touch or want to tough their phones / games all weekend. Even got them down for some "hard rock" mining.

35799304_10211433787190880_3410036138457432064_n.jpg

• Like 3
  • well done 1