Nugget Shooter Forums

Hello all, hope your staying cool. It's HOT!! I have a quick question. I was wondering if anyone on here has detected around Rawhide nv. I grew up in Fallon but we always headed to Lovelock and Winnemucca detecting. We tried it once or twice but that was when we really had no idea what we were doing. This weekend is my dads 60th birthday so we are headed down for 4 days to visit. We are thinking of trying Rawhide again on Friday since it is close and in the 90s. Any thoughts? Thanks everyone. 

Well, I have never detected Nevada.  Maybe someday.  But I can tell you that if I did, I would check all the geologic maps I could find of the area and the mines in proximity.  I know you have found gold, so you would know what geology to look for that is similar to where you found gold before.  I have found a few new areas this way.  When you find the areas yourself, it makes it soooo much sweeter.  But yeah, if someone can give you a clue to the area, also, that is just one more piece of the puzzle.

Sounds like you'll be having fun.  Good luck out there, Dan!

Andyy.  

• Like 3

Thanks Andyy. I agree with ya. It's just not my stomping grounds anymore so I figured I would take the easy way out and cheat for some info lol. Guess I was just seeing if anyone has found any detectable gold.

The town of Rawhide is long gone since being devoured by a mine. So I think relics are going to be pretty scarce.

As far as detectable gold, I assume you have the Nevada Gold Placer Deposits  book by Maureen Johnson.  I would check that to find out what kind of production they had and where. That should at least give you some idea.

• Like 2

Yeah the town is gone. I have researched it quite a bit over the last few years but was just curious if anyone on here has detected it. The mine is active but in the closed status due to funds. The open pit sits right on the main placer area. There are outlying areas that I have been looking at and they look really good. I was down there at the geothermal plant for work a few months ago and there are drift mines all over that I never seen when we were poking around there in the past. I think that's where we will go for the day.

• Like 2

Sounds intriguing. Hope you have a successful trip. Post pics of your finds.

• Like 2

Good luck, i have been considering checking that area out also, but so many places and so little time. I hope you and your father find some nuggets! have fun and be safe :4chsmu1:

• Like 1

13N, 32 and 33E looks interesting.

Rawhide.jpg

• Like 1

Call Rawhide mining, maybe the'll let you out for some surface detecting on their load claims.

• Like 1

It's real interesting ground. Very heavy mineralization and decomposing quartz everywhere. 

They found some coarse nuggets at Rawhide, but much of the placer was deep - 30 to 100 feet down and was worked with shafts and drifts along the bedrock. The shallow head of the placer area at Hooligan Hill was mined in the pit and is gone. While the pit is not active, much of the area is still fenced off.

• Like 1