Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ArcticDave

Bacon wood knife scales

I have a small chunk of deadfall Sequoiadendron giganteum that I picked up several years ago. I finally got around to cutting some, and I'm pretty happy with the results. I have a knife that I really like, but I hated the cheapo plastic handles...perfect match!

I slabbed half of one of my treasured chunks and cut out the shape of the scales from a promising slab. After fastening the scales down I finished the final sanding, and sealed the wood with a light coat of shellac, followed with a coat of Johnsons paste wax. It is my first try so it is not perfect...but sure is better than the plastic crap. :D

Yummmm....bacon :brows:

No trees were harmed in the making of this knife handle.

20180611_154640.jpg

20180612_115134.jpg

20180612_115147.jpg

20180613_055041.jpg

20180613_055148.jpg

• Like 2
  • well done 2

VERY VERY nice Dave.....Cool looking

• Thanks 1

Very nice work.

• Thanks 1

Thats great Dave. Nice grain.

I like the look of Iron wood, but its so tough on bits/blades.

Tom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tom I have not tried working any Ironwood. You're right...sure is beautiful. This stuff is easy to work since it is a softwood. It is very dense for a softwood and the ring count is off the charts at close to 100 rings per inch!

There is subtle electric pink banding that does not show in a picture. It is really gorgeous wood. Not that hard to get ahold of either. It isn't cheap...but it is available in limited quantities. 

Reminds me of Cedar. 

Awesome job. Just apply the oil or whatever finish you go with on a normal basis. That's the thing about our environment we live in, very hard on wood handles because they dry out and crack. You probably knew that already. 

Beautiful knife bud.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, homefire said:

Reminds me of Cedar. 

A little more pink than cedar, but very similar to work. Same drastic difference between the heartwood and sapwood too.

46 minutes ago, nugget108 said:

Awesome job. Just apply the oil or whatever finish you go with on a normal basis. That's the thing about our environment we live in, very hard on wood handles because they dry out and crack. You probably knew that already. 

Beautiful knife bud.

It will get taken care of regularly. I already have to do the same with a few leather things.

I need to make a scabbard for it next. I still have the original, but it is just as crappy as the handles were. boorb

• Haha 1

Great work. Have worked lot's of ironwood, used metalworking machines and tools at slow speeds. Beautiful

• Like 1

Very nice Dave, but now you done gone and made me hungry :droolin: , going to make me a BLT!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, wet/dry washer said:

Great work. Have worked lot's of ironwood, used metalworking machines and tools at slow speeds. Beautiful

Thank you Bob. It isn't Ironwood. It's Giant Sequoia from California. It does look a little like Ironwood though. :)

48 minutes ago, Au Seeker said:

Very nice Dave, but now you done gone and made me hungry :droolin: , going to make me a BLT!!!

Hmmm...sounds like a good plan to me!

Nice job Dave. It looks like a Scharde Sharpe finger. great skinnin knife, good steel. I build knives, and most are with with Az. Ironwood burl scales., but I dont want to hijack your thread.

AzNuggetBob

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AzNuggetBob said:

Nice job Dave. It looks like a Scharde Sharpe finger. great skinnin knife, good steel. I build knives, and most are with with Az. Ironwood burl scales., but I dont want to hijack your thread.

AzNuggetBob

Hijack away...I think the thread was about dead anyway.:)

I've saved up several good old files with the intention of making a few knives. I've made several prospecting picks but never a knife. Maybe after the airplane is done I'll give it a try.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AzNuggetBob said:

AzNuggetBob

Iron wood Burls would look so cool! Especially with some light bark with it.

Tom H.

• Like 2

Oh I agree Tom. Not real fond of plastic scales.  :rolleyes:

AzNuggetBob

Posted (edited)

Tom I'm still having a hard time looking at your avatar without laughing. yu know the Bill joke.

AzNuggetBob

Edited by AzNuggetBob
  • Haha 1

Dave Iron wood is a very cool wood. Its one of the very few woods, That sink when you put it in water. I love it . Its full of a very special oil the resits UV rays from the sun, not kidding. I've found it laying out in the hills that was almost white on the out side and when you cut into it, over a hundred years old, its almost like new on the inside. how do you know when you find it ? its also very heavy. Many of the mining mills used for their furnaces because it burned well and long. I'll put up some photos when I get more time. but if you want to make an almost bullet proof knife handle. AzNuggetBob

• Like 3

By all means do put up some pics Bob!

I can't stand plastic scales either. They don't feel right and aren't that pretty. I have seen some very cool work done with cactus, pine cones and corncobs, where the material is cast with resin. You end up with a mostly resin scale though, and I have never been impressed with the longevity of plastic.

Dave here is few shots of my carry knife. no finish on the wood just a little wax. I have been packing this around for years.
AzNuggetBob

my knives 001.JPG

my knives 002.JPG

my knives 004.JPG

my knives 005.JPG

• Like 6
  • wow 1

Thats a helluva pig sticker Bob! Damascus steel is mesmerizing. I like all the brass too. I didn't realize Ironwood was so dark, is that because of the burl? It's beautiful regardless :D

• Thanks 1

Really nice! Love the coffin handle!

This has been my showstopper since 1982.

33.JPG

IMG_0125.jpg

IMG_0127.jpg

IMG_0129.jpg

• Like 5

Terry that is not a knife...its a sword!

It would probably be great for fighting Klingons :worship:

gowron-d2971eec-865d-4b13-a87f-a988428d07c-resize-750.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Glad you like it Dave. but I have to say that bacon wood on your knife looks almost like cedar? but it does look like bacon strips.

My carry knife is one of my first knives. bending that half round brass back strap around the pommel and getting it strait was the hardest part. its silver soldered to the blade and brass guard. The blade is a random rain drop pattern Damascus hot rolled and cold ground steel blade deep acid etched and polished. some times I buy rough hot rolled shaped and I finish grind and shape,acid etch,polish them etc. I used a moto tool with a 45% router bit to cut the edges on the coffin shaped Ironwood scales. the ironwood is darkening with age or dirt, hand oil ? I don't know. I'm going to put up photo's of another one that's similar but with new wood so you can see the great random pattern in Ironwood burl.

Terry now your getting out the big guns . LOL I like the deep hollow grind on your blade and the deer horn handle with the deer head cut out. but dang, How long is it? or should we just call it a half sword? :89:

AzNuggetBob

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AzNuggetBob said:

Glad you like it Dave. but I have to say that bacon wood on your knife looks almost like cedar? but it does look like bacon strips.

AzNuggetBob

Giant Sequoia :brows:

I bet I have one of very few knife scales made from it.

I really would like to see what the fresher burl looks like when you have time. I'll start keeping my eyes open when in the field. I have run into Ironwood in the past, so maybe I'll get lucky and stumble across some deadfall.

Posted (edited)

Another cool wood you guys in Arizona have. Manzanita.  The stuff is Flipping Hard !  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manzanita

Edited by homefire
  • Like 2