Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ArcticDave

Bacon wood knife scales

The ironwood looks great Bob! To be honest though...that filing along the spine to make that flame effect takes the cake :worship:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks Dave. the file work goes all the way around the tapered tang. File work is not something that is really functional. as I understand it, it dates back years ago as something the old forgers/black smiths did to sort of trade mark their blades. file work and inlays dates clear back to bronze age and has been found on many old knives and swords. there are many different patterns. another cool one is that dagger they found in and king tut's tomb. it was forged from a meteorite. love the gold handle and sheath too.

hith-king-tut-dagger-The-iron-dagger-picture-1-resized-E.jpeg

AzNuggetBob

Edited by AzNuggetBob
clean up the spelling LOL

Something else. It looks to me like it had a guard at one time. one can only wonder what it was made of or why it didn't survive?

AzNuggetBob

12 minutes ago, AzNuggetBob said:

Thanks Dave. the file work goes all the way around the tappered tang. File work is not something that is realy funtional. as I understand it,it dates back years ago as something the old forgers/black smiths did to sort of trade mark their blades. file work and inlays dates clear back to bronze age and has been found on many old knives and swords. there are many different patterns. another cool one is that dagger they found in and king tut's tomb. it was forged from a meteorite. love the gold handle and sheath too.

hith-king-tut-dagger-The-iron-dagger-picture-1-resized-E.jpeg

AzNuggetBob

I think the file work adds a nice touch.  Especially with those  brass sheets in there framing the design. Just very well done :thumbsupanim

The gold work on the Tut knife is :WOW:amazing!

I was talking to a friend the other day and I had mentioned I was ready to step it up and start forging my own steel. He told me after I had some practice he wants a meteorite blade. He has a 300 gram nickel iron that he really wants turned into something a special. The King Tut knife was one of the examples I found while researching. There are a few more, and some new stuff from modern craftsman as well.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AzNuggetBob said:

Something else. It looks to me like it had a guard at one time. one can only wonder what it was made of or why it didn't survive?

AzNuggetBob

Glass maybe? That finial on the end looks like glass to me. Could explain why it is completely missing.

• Hmmmmmm 1

Posted (edited)

I'm thinking quartz, and may have gotten dropped and broken off.? those hard stone floors suck. :D

AzNuggetBob

Edited by AzNuggetBob
  • Like 1

The Egyptians were skilled in glass art. That may be quartz on the pommel, but it really looks like glass to me. I found this on an Egypt history website....

"For the Ancient Egyptians glass was regarded as an artificial semi-precious stone and was a costly novelty material, most likely under the control of the royalty and given as presents to the favoured officials. "

Dave I thought about making my own steel. it takes a lot of equipment. I just buy pre-made damascus bar stock. you can find it in a lot of different types even nickel/hi carbon steel. with a lot of different roll patterns.

AzNuggetBob

It doesn't take too much, but it is a big investment in time just to make a few knives. It is just a personal itch that has to be scratched. :)

I have eveything I need minus the forge itself, and I have most of the parts gathered for that. I still need to find and buy some fire clay.