Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ArcticDave

Bacon wood knife scales

I've never made anything from it, but it is a tough wood. I bring home a small bundle anytime I'm up north in the pines. It is a fantastic cooking wood and when used in the smoker, it is extremely tasty.

With all this talk of ironwood lately, I did some research on the darkening effect. It is a known issue with ironwood. The general consensus over in a custom knife forum was that uv plays a big role in how fast ironwood darkens. If you store it in the dark it seems to retain its original color longer. A finish that blocks uv could greatly extend that time. Shellac is very uv resistant and could be worth experimenting with, for those of us that prefer a more natural finish. The good news I read over there, was that the darkened ironwood can be sanded back to the original color fairly easily. Apparently the oxide layer is not that thick.

This is all second hand info, but it seemed pertinent.

Well I can tell you from working with all kinds of wood on a daily basis being a custom cabinet maker for many years is that all woods will darken with exposure to UV light, even most paints will also darken, we have to deal with this with almost every customer when they ask why the cabinet/s next to their windows are darker than their other cabinets after a year or so.

• Like 1

That makes sense then Skip. It appears that if you don't want to keep your piece in the dark all the time, the darkening can either be accepted, or you can refinish every so often. Since it still looks good even when dark (like Bob's knife), I'd probably just leave it alone. :)

Dave that "patina" is actually very desirable to many people, we used a lot of reclaimed wood on some builds and we do little if any sanding on most of this type wood and then we either do a low gloss or flat clear coat or no sealer at all depending on the customer's wishes.

Many times the darkening on older wood is mostly in the clear coat but does go into the wood a bit or more depending on the age of the patina. 

If the reclaimed wood has never been maintained , i.e, repainted or sealed regularly the wood itself with most specics will turn gray as in most reclaimed barn wood.

• Like 1