Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
azdigger

Question about Equinox 800

In prospecting mode , when I ground balance , does the coil need to be moved around like a GM 1000.

Found out how sensitive it was in an air test on a small sample I have...want to do this right.

Thanks

Hey, Rick;

do you have the manual?  You can Gb the manual way or put in tracking and move it around...tracking is what I do and then turn it off when in  park mode...

I probably left tracking on when in gold mode...it would be difficult to track out a target...

fred

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Fred , the manual is a little unclear to me....so I thought I should ask.  never hurts to make sure.

• Like 2

What Fred said.... Just put up a video of my first trip to the desert, I am learning it too. Took forever to get all my prepay orders filled, but now I have one.... Much different than a gold detector and I am experiencing the learning curve with everyone else.

There are two more parts coming to this trip and plan to take it out some more and try some more settings as well as single frequency.

• Like 4
  • well done 1

I watched that video...Great job . Thanks for taking the time to make these videos...been a lot of help to me.

Learning thing I should have known before I tried to nugget shoot.

I saw when you put the EQ in tracking you kind of did the moving bounce like the GM 1000 and that is what I wanted to know.

Again Thanks for your time doing these Videos......Good work on Tammy; part in finding them nuggies.

• Thanks 1

I have been down around Yuma a few times with the e-800...I was very impressed to find tiny quail shot with the 11 inch coil..no gold but that is not the machines fault...

I think this is truly a multi-purpose machine-I like it!

fred

• Like 2

Large learning curve. Too hot for me to travel out in the desert, but I recommend that you first practice in parks, and not to bypass Bill, but do yourself a favor and buy the Minelab Equinox book "from Beginner to Advanced" by Clive Clynick (Clivesgoldpage)

After you get the basics from park hunting try the goldfields. What you will find that is different from parks (besides the trees and grass) is that size does matter. Coins have their own signals dimes 25-26 ,pennies 19 - 21 depending if zinc or copper, nickles 13. Now forget the numbers when looking for gold, dig everything. Small gold will be a 1 (never dig a neg. number when looking for gold, it is iron). then as the size of the nugget increases so will the numbers, about .3g the number climbs to a 3-4, the bigger the gold the higher the number 17,18,19.

But guess what you will dig thousands of brass cases, lead , tin cans left by illegals. Most lead will ring up as a 10.

I found a piece so small it does not register on my scale, it registered as a 1 (same as a gum wrapper) The next piece rang up as a 10, I rubbed and rubbed, it would not shine up even with water. I brought it home and dropped it in vinegar, it was lead I would guess it has been in the ground 300 years or more, the weight equals a 50cal, the area it came from was mined by the Spaniards. In the same area I found a date carved into the walls 1658, farther down the canyon is an "X". Will return in the fall.

IMG_20180519_161106[1].jpg

IMG_20180519_160928[1].jpg

• Like 2

A tip though, when in Arizona use gold 2, iron bias 2 -3, and recovery speed 4. The higher the recovery speed, the less depth you will get

• Like 1

Thanks for the info, I have been hunting local parks and even a freshwater beach....had good luck.

I am not to far from Gold Basin so I can hunt there. I am going to wait until the 6 inch coil comes out.

I will still hunt the tot lots and such.

3 minutes ago, azdigger said:

Thanks for the info, I have been hunting local parks and even a freshwater beach....had good luck.

I am not to far from Gold Basin so I can hunt there. I am going to wait until the 6 inch coil comes out.

I will still hunt the tot lots and such.

The stock coil will find very small gold. I've dug 36 inch holes to be disjointed, and 2 inch holes and found gold, most so far has been within the first 6 inches.Not sure how much more sensitive a 6 inch coil would be.

6 inch mostly for tight places where I want to hunt.

GREAT INFO bc5391 and just what I needed! I am in the learning curve as well and though the EQX 800 will not likely replace any of my other gold detectors I think it will be great to have a coin/relic detector that will nugget shoot well in the toolbox. Are you hunting single frequency or multi in the gold setting?  Ordered the book as well.....

17 hours ago, Nugget Shooter said:

GREAT INFO bc5391 and just what I needed! I am in the learning curve as well and though the EQX 800 will not likely replace any of my other gold detectors I think it will be great to have a coin/relic detector that will nugget shoot well in the toolbox. Are you hunting single frequency or multi in the gold setting?  Ordered the book as well.....

Bill I keep it on multi freq.

• Thanks 1

Guess I might have to order that book too.....I need all the help I can get.    :inocent:

• Like 1

Bill, I just watched your 2nd video on youtube. The equinox does not always have the target at the tip. To pinpoint push that large pinpoint button in the center, draw a line on the ground where the target is and turn the machine 90 degrees, and repeat the pinpoint, draw the line and "X" marks the spot. And not to dig every piece of iron when you get a target push the horse shoe button, if the number is now negative, walk away.(be sure to push the horse shoe button again before detecting.

• Like 2

That is very hard for me {walk away} and for 27 years I have dug all targets when hunting gold :head: It is simply the only way I can be sure and even though the Gold Monster 1000 has very good discrimination I do not use it either. I am so stubborn on this that even if they made a gold only detector tomorrow I would likely still hunt in all metal. :hide:

I do appreciate the tips and thank you!

• Like 4

I agree Bill even though discrimination has gotten much better with the newer machines these days, there is no way to know for sure. often times there can be lead, iron, nails that settled into the same crack or low spot as the nugget and this mix can confuse the detector.

AzNuggetBob

• Like 2

There are many other things that end up in the same hole as nuggets. bullets, chunks of brass, and one of my favorites copper jacketed bullets and coins. just natures natural riffle board. make sure you recheck your holes. Here is something else, once you spend some time out hunting with your machine and learn to understand your machine, you can get a better Idea of what its trying to tell you. and you can't always get that out of manual.
AzNuggetBob

• Like 2

AzNuggetBob, That last post is especially relevant with the Equinox, it has a very particular tonal language.

• Like 2