Nugget Shooter Forums
LowPoint

"Dang, I forgot my camera !"

I was out this morning on one of the drainage washes that flows into Lynx creek.  I was up stream  almost a mile and had just rounded a bend in the wash when I looked up and saw (something) that looked out-of-place right down in the middle of the wash.  It was about 20 yards-or-so upstream.  I could tell that it was an animal of some type, but couldn't tell exactly what???  It was sitting upright (vertical) in a shaded area due to pine trees up on the ridge.  I stopped right off and began staring at it (I was also in the shadow of some pine trees).  I think what caught my eye was it's pointy ears, as it was looking right at me.  I kept staring at it, and it kept staring at me; neither one of us moved.  I kept squinting my eyes trying to figure out just what It was, while I stood frozen-still.  It looked like a mid-size german shepard, only more muscular; and it looked to be about 2 1/2 (or better) foot tall from where I was standing.  It just sat there without moving a muscle.  We must have stared at each other for (what seemed to be) about 2-minutes.  Then I saw it's head move just slightly,....and I recognized it,..."WOW" it was a bobcat, and a very healthy one at that.  In all the years (literally) that I have been hiking in the Prescott National Forest I have never come across a bobcat out in the wild.  I'm sure that they have seen me, but I have never (up till now) ever seen one.  Well, I decided to make the first move, so I began a slow stepping walk upstream toward it (male-female???) I got about 10 steps in and off it went up on the ridge and out of sight.  That dude was definitely muscular, and had been eating well.  Ya never know what you might run across out there, and sometimes it really surprises ya.

I got these two nuggets out of that same wash using my Z-7000.  The smallest one was .12 of-a-gram and down in vertically-layered schist about 4" down.  I kept getting a signal, but my pin pointer couldn't even find it.  I had to use a process of elimination to finally segregate it enough for the pin pointer to pick it up.  This smallest nugget is the second "smallest" nugget that Z has found for me;  the smallest is .10 of-a-gram,................AMAZING !!!!!   Gary

SAM_0309.JPG

• Like 7
  • well done 1

Nice gold and would have loved to see that photo if ya had the camera

Wow..cool! That would have been a great pic.

I always keep my cheap point/shoot in my back pack. Have gotten some cool pics that way.

Glad ya got some gold! :ya:

Tom H.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, TomH said:

Wow..cool! That would have been a great pic.

I always keep my cheap point/shoot in my back pack. Have gotten some cool pics that way.

Glad ya got some gold! :ya:

Tom H.

Yea Tom, the way that cat was closely watching me I don't think that I could have fumbled around and gotten my camera out of my back pack and gotten a shot before it would have trotted off, even if I had had the camera.  It wasn't exactly "A KODAK MOMENT," especially after I started making movements, and towards it.  Oh Well, I've got it photographed in my memory for later retrieval.  :old:  I am glad that it did not show signs of being rabid :yikes: I briefly had visions of it working it's way towards me with evil intent :th_panic:  Such Fun in the great Outdoors.  Gary

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Oh Well, I've got it photographed in my memory for later retrieval. ...........................Thats the best part :)

Wish I had a go-pro running when I had Javalina  jumping all around me trying to get between me and my Quad.
Tom H.

Edited by TomH

I thought you were going to say it was a chupacabra because of the dog type appearance.

Pointy ears?  Maybe a lynx?

• Like 1

Great story, Gary.  And beautiful gold for sure.  The GPZ will get some really small gold. Just be glad you're good at keeping it on the bigger stuff .. LOL

I am just waiting for brain go pro cameras.   My brain will click the picture  it will show up on my camera......  

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, pondmn said:

My brain will click the picture  it will show up on my camera......  

Well Pondmn ... You do have a start on that new brain go-pro  ... your brain has a vivid imagination! :inocent:

7 hours ago, pondmn said:

I am just waiting for brain go pro cameras.   My brain will click the picture  it will show up on my camera......  

Not me,.... I want someone to come up with "visual goggles" that when put on will indicate exactly where gold nuggets, gold hot spots and patches are.  Kind of like the bionic man where you can scan a hillside, creek or stream and the gold will not only be indicated, but it will register the depth as well.  Maybe even have a processor/ camera attached to a drone that will provide GPS Coord's of the locations.  "Whatever a determined-One" can conceive and believe, that same one can Receive,.....time permitting.  :m2c:

Great good and good times. Bobcats can be curious creatures. We've had them just hang out 25 or so feet away and just watch as long as we stayed mellow and out of their comfort zone. Gotta love nature. 

• Like 1