Nugget Shooter Forums
mcgator

Jackass Flats History

Does anybody have any info on how Jackass Flats was named as such? It seems two stage coach routes branched off from this area. Or did some creative individual look to the top of the ridge and think that's a great spot to put a Burro silhouette and crison the area as Jackass Flats. Just some few whiz thoughts while sitting at Chicago Oh are. 

• Like 1

Be sure to grab a Polish sausage whenever you go through that airport. They are great. 

• Haha 1

Hopefully Bill will chime in. He told me the jackass monument was erected by a prosperous prospector that did pretty well for himself in one of the local washes. Apparently he was real fond of his mule.

Whether the name Jackass Flats came from the monument or it was pre-existing I don't know.

Yeah that is how I heard it many years ago he is also the one that put the quartz flag on flag hill. He found an old stream channel behind flag hill and there is still a partial trench there where he dug it out. Erected the mule as a memorial to his old prospecting partner (mule) after it died and the flats was named... Lady that ran the old bottle shop on 60 going into Wickenburg told me the story. Not sure if true or not, but a cool story :2drink:

• Like 6

I was told by some Wickenburg locals that it came to be known as a great Sunday afternoon picnic spot where townsfolk would come after church, each chicken and pick up (specking) big Jackass Flats nuggets and it got its name because there were many burros there (still are)... I thought that Rattlesnake Lil who had the cabin right were the road cross LSD Wash...Still some junk left over there from her cabin.... I also thought she put up the flag on the hill in honor of her son who was killed in the war...Not sure if it was WW1 or 2...There's an old hand dug well across LSD Wash from the cabin site ... It used to be open but someone has locked it up...No telling what's at the bottom of it, but 20 years or so ago the water looked good in it , but down about 30-40 feet to the surface. Cheers, Unc

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Uncle Ron said:

I was told by some Wickenburg locals that it came to be known as a great Sunday afternoon picnic spot where townsfolk would come after church, each chicken and pick up (specking) big Jackass Flats nuggets and it got its name because there were many burros there (still are)... I thought that Rattlesnake Lil who had the cabin right were the road cross LSD Wash...Still some junk left over there from her cabin.... I also thought she put up the flag on the hill in honor of her son who was killed in the war...Not sure if it was WW1 or 2...There's an old hand dug well across LSD Wash from the cabin site ... It used to be open but someone has locked it up...No telling what's at the bottom of it, but 20 years or so ago the water looked good in it , but down about 30-40 feet to the surface. Cheers, Unc

I've noticed the remnants of a foundation right there next to the crossing and wondered what it was.

Likely 5 other stories as well lol.... Wonder if the real info is out there, I tried googling it but nadda....

I thought her name was rattlesnake Annie?

Was warned to keep distance from her. Saw her  outside once beating rugs (35 years ago), we had got turned around and paused the truck to approach her but she saw us and strode into the cabin. We figured she was retrieving her shotgun and we got out of there.

Don't remember the jackass silhouette being there then..

Folks, a mule is half a jackass.

Cool stories I checked some old surveys which didn't show much

6N3W.jpg

7n3W.jpg

Maybe you can find the flats referenced looking into the Owl Mine or Anderson Mill.

48 minutes ago, Edge said:

Maybe you can find the flats referenced looking into the Owl Mine or Anderson Mill.

Thanks Edge!! I like the Rattlesnake Annie name. If you find anything send it my way. 

51 minutes ago, Edge said:

Was her cabin that cement slab by the wash?

I believe so. There's been about a 30 year gap in my trips out there.

2 hours ago, Edge said:

I believe so. There's been about a 30 year gap in my trips out there.

Thanks!!