Nugget Shooter Forums

Went to Holbrook last weekend with Dolan Dave and Richard G. We had a great time and we all had success. Although I only found "Holbrook Peas" Dave and Richard found bigger pieces.

20180519_190241.jpg

First.jpg

Second.jpg

Third.jpg

• Like 4
  • well done 1

Nice ones Eric. Those are about all I get out there as well. Congrats.

Jason

• Like 3

Sorry, we cleaned the place up a few weeks earlier. 😛

Glad y'all made finds!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mikestang said:

Sorry, we cleaned the place up a few weeks earlier. 😛

Glad y'all made finds!

Mike, you forgot these, 168 grams.... some old railroad items, a 1907 barber dime 😛...

Was great hunting with good friends, Richard and Eric. 

Dave

20180521_194924.jpg

• Like 8

Holbrook AZ 5-20-18.jpg

• Like 5

Very nice finds, congrats 

• Like 1

Right on Dave, way to bring home the goods! :4chsmu1:

• Like 2

Nice, Dave!

• Like 2

Excellent scores, Dave...Do you guys use your detectors at Holbrook or just magnet stick? Cheers, Unc

15 hours ago, Uncle Ron said:

Excellent scores, Dave...Do you guys use your detectors at Holbrook or just magnet stick? Cheers, Unc

Thanks Ron, Eric was the first to find some out there with his meteorite detecting eyes, Richard Garcia (kgmrg), also found some excellent pieces. 

You can use a detector, but with no discrimination. As soon as you turn on discrimination, it blanks the meteorites out. Since being next to railroad tracks, there is junk everywhere out there. Easiest is to hunt by sight, and magnet stick.

Dave

• Like 1

I've often wondered about how people hunt Holbrook Dave. Do you get permission from the property owners? Has anyone ever been run off or questioned? I know the area well but I've never been bold enough to work private property without permission. I know the railroad will run you off for working the ROW but I imagine with the clinkers and debris that would be pretty unproductive. Just curious how people handle the situation.

• Like 1

I don't think anyone has ever been able to get a reply from the various property owners in the area.  There are a few occupied dwellings within the strewn field, and the consensus is to give them a wide berth and not disturb their privacy.  Obviously the railroad R/W is off-limits and a no-no to trespass on, but there are two legal ways to cross at each end of the strewn field.  I've never heard of anyone being run off.

• Like 2

It took a minute to recall the right word from the dusty, cluttered, cobwebby attic that serves as my memory, but the word I was looking for to describe the above photos is "neato."  I used to have a wonderful arrowhead and miscellaneous other Native artifacts collection, and I've dug a fair amount of gold, but I've never found even the tiniest speck of space stuff -- youse guys must have felt at least a little bit of wonder and awe when you picked up your first pieces of meteorite.  That looks like a ton of fun, and interesting.  There was a meteorite that exploded over Alaska in early 2000, loud like a sonic boom and it looked like a lightning flash through my library window.  I'd have loved to have found a chunk of that one.

Very nice, y'all.

• Like 4