Nugget Shooter Forums

Well it is getting mighty warm here in the desert :desertsmile: so once again it is time to research promising areas  for the coming cool weather. I actually enjoy hitting the books and maps and have a couple new areas that just finding a trail in is almost impossible. One such place Dave and I had to walk a 12 mile or so round trip a couple weeks ago and man that was a tiring and painful walk for this aging nugget shooter, but there are no passable roads into this area. Hopefully there will be an easier route to try later in the year after it cools off.

Another spot I am actively studying is only 2 miles from an area I have found some amazing gold in the past and has no occurrences of placer gold ever recorded. A hunter told me about a small valley with every wash and several of the slopes covered in old drywash header piles with the fines piles long washed away and they had picked up a couple small nuggets off bedrock in one of the washes. Not being prospectors they never went back to detect or anything else... I was able to find this spot on Google Earth last night and look right at the worked valley and washes, problem is once again no access even by quad through the heavily dissected pediment gravels with sharp cut deep washes full of bedrock waterfall areas.

Looks like allot of walking to get in with the closest trail of any kind a couple miles away :hiker:

Dang, may have to get a horse and mule :knight-horse:

Hit the books folks as the cooler weather will be here before you know it and it is nice to have a hit list made up.

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

Rokon! :)
Tom H.

Yeah...I'm digging the horse and mule idea. That was a long walk. :hiker:

If we rent critters to pack us in there, we should probably rent a cowgirl to take care of the horses...cause I haven't got a clue about taking care of them properly.

Anybody know any blind and mute cowgirls for hire? :25r30wi:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Research pays off if one has the time. Reading those old survey notes is like watching milk expire  but one can get a lot of info from them on old house sites, etc. Used to do this a lot in Nebraska during the Winter.

Notes.jpg

Plat.jpg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, TomH said:

Rokon! :)
Tom H.

Problem is blazing any new trail is seriously frowned upon these days and they do prosecute... Even a Rokon ain't going up this wash and the area it is in blazing trails even in a wash is risking some big hassles with border patrol working the area heavily. Not far from the border.... Open BLM land, but it sees allot of activity with border issues....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mcgator said:

Research pays off if one has the time. Reading those old survey notes is like watching milk expire  but one can get a lot of info from them on old house sites, etc. Used to do this a lot in Nebraska during the Winter

mcgator--just have to comment that cursive is a dying skill.  I grew up reading and writing it, but today's kids are not.  The next generation of prospectors will look at cursive as a foreign language.  Even in the schools that cursive is taught, its not taught like it used to be.  Maybe someone will write an app to read that.

Interesting reading.  I was looking at some stuff by the Hassunyumpa that had notes in cursive.  Nothing guiding me to gold, but that is part of the research like you say watching milk expire.

3 hours ago, Nugget Shooter said:

Problem is blazing any new trail is seriously frowned upon these days and they do prosecute... Even a Rokon ain't going up this wash and the area it is in blazing trails even in a wash is risking some big hassles with border patrol working the area heavily. Not far from the border.... Open BLM land, but it sees allot of activity with border issues.... 

I'm even wondering about maintaining trails.  I'd need heavy equipment to do maintenance in any reasonable amount of time to get my truck through places.  A couple of times I've found my road was undercut after driving a wash and then walking that wash.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, chrisski said:

mcgator--just have to comment that cursive is a dying skill.  I grew up reading and writing it, but today's kids are not.  The next generation of prospectors will look at cursive as a foreign language.  Even in the schools that cursive is taught, its not taught like it used to be.  Maybe someone will write an app to read that.

Interesting reading.  I was looking at some stuff by the Hassunyumpa that had notes in cursive.  Nothing guiding me to gold, but that is part of the research like you say watching milk expire.

I'm even wondering about maintaining trails.  I'd need heavy equipment to do maintenance in any reasonable amount of time to get my truck through places.  A couple of times I've found my road was undercut after driving a wash and then walking that wash.

Couldn't agree more. But these old survey notes for the 1800s are packed with info on old house sites, trails, ruins from many years ago. I've found three caches over the years looking through these notes that have pointed to old house sites in Nebraska and Iowa. Also all the old coins and relics I've found in old corn fields. It does make your eye bleed trying to read it. One journal I read here in AZ seems to indicate an old house site on the Spanish trail amongst other things. Now I just to get the time to get out there.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nugget Shooter said:

Welp...guess the mule/donkey is the answer :)
Tom H.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Week ago north of Yuma in California came out of a wash and headed north. BP turn his flashers on. Pulled over at a safe place, he asked, what you doing out here? Answer, native, prospecting on native soil. He backed up and took off down the highway. Plate post says native. Cops pass me by BP waves me through. It was 115, that day, leaving in the morning for another week out there. Love the heat, don't run ac in my tahoo even though it works. Weigh 105 lbs in summer months, 125 in the winter.

10 hours ago, ArcticDave said:

Yeah...I'm digging the horse and mule idea. That was a long walk. :hiker:

If we rent critters to pack us in there, we should probably rent a cowgirl to take care of the horses...cause I haven't got a clue about taking care of them properly.

Anybody know any blind and mute cowgirls for hire? :25r30wi:

61645.jpeg

IMG_20161107_124548722.jpg

IMG_20171112_151702228.jpg

• Like 2

I had an ad up in theses classifieds for packing, saddle animal and outfitting services. Can get you and your equipment, camp in, haul ore out. Reasonable rates accepted in gold, cash, goods....? Sorry no bottle caps, buttons or kittens accepted.

Cowgirls available with the deluxe package.

Tim

• Like 3

I may take you up on a trip and trade info for critter help..... Remember you will be part of a prospecting trip and that is the trade. Details can be ironed out.

2 minutes ago, Nugget Shooter said:

I may take you up on a trip and trade info for critter help..... Remember you will be part of a prospecting trip and that is the trade. Details can be ironed out.

So, no blindfolds or hot pokers to the eyes? I'm ok with that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

That was your other option..... :112:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Hmmmmmm 1

16 minutes ago, Nugget Shooter said:

That was your other option..... :112:

😵

• Haha 1

In spite of all our technology, a good sturdy mountain horse is still one of the best ways to get around the real remote stuff. It's also one of the most expensive. Nothing works better...except a helicopter maybe.

I did check...just out of curiosity. A R44 helicopter is $700/hr if you look around. Horses are somewhat more affordable than that. 

I gotta say though, the cowgirl in the last picture...looks like she got ran over by the ugly truck! :inocent:

:25r30wi:

Edge...I hope you understood that was a joke. I'm envious. To have the freedom to go where you please is really awesome.  :thumbsupanim

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

We used the Robinson 44 to get clients into the Bradshaw Mountains, near Humbug, and Cow Creek. The problem with helicopters is that they cannot land on BLM land without a permit (which can take up to a year to get), and most pilots will not hover and allow you to jump off the skids (too much liability). Private property like Humbug is no problem, other than the $700.00 an hour, and weight restrictions. When I was a kid, my Dad would trailer the horses to the north end of Lake Pleasant, then we would ride the old Swilling trail into the Bradshaw's to his line shack for a few days.

HeliCon 002.jpg

Edited by Terry Soloman
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Terry Soloman said:

We used the Robinson 44 to get clients into the Bradshaw Mountains, near Humbug, and Cow Creek. The problem with helicopters is that they cannot land on BLM land without a permit (which can take up to a year to get), and most pilots will not hover and allow you to jump off the skids (too much liability). Private property like Humbug is no problem, other than the $700.00 an hour, and weight restrictions. When I was a kid, my Dad would trailer the horses to the north end of Lake Pleasant, then we would ride the old Swilling trail into the Bradshaw's to his line shack for a few days.

I've ridden to Humbug from Pleasant many times, up the Columbia Trail, it's a good haul roundtrip. Had to use French Draw to avoid all the ATVs.

Fewer and fewer folks are going horseback and learning packing.  I string some seasoned pros.

Best to get ahold of me early for outfitting, I'm already booking for elk and deer hunts into 2019.

post-5072-0-77597900-1423083724_zpsjdgw0aos.jpg

P1060503_zpsofihsstw.jpg

1_zpsplfiyksh.jpg

Edited by Edge
  • Like 6

14 hours ago, Nugget Shooter said:

I envy you. I've always thought about doing something like this as well but could never put all facets together.

I hope you can do this and have a successful trip.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ArcticDave said:

In spite of all our technology, a good sturdy mountain horse is still one of the best ways to get around the real remote stuff. It's also one of the most expensive. Nothing works better...except a helicopter maybe.

I did check...just out of curiosity. A R44 helicopter is $700/hr if you look around. Horses are somewhat more affordable than that. 

I gotta say though, the cowgirl in the last picture...looks like she got ran over by the ugly truck! :inocent:

:25r30wi:

Edge...I hope you understood that was a joke. I'm envious. To have the freedom to go where you please is really awesome.  :thumbsupanim

I think Lincoln said if he ever met someone uglier he feel obliged to shoot him. Lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 4:46 PM, Nugget Shooter said:

"WATCH IT BILL",....   The BLM most likely considers these 4-legged critters to be OHV'S, :yikes:  so they will be confiscating them and fining everyone on them for being on their coveted trails :grr01:.....They fine extra for the poop-piles :knight-horse: "YAHOOOOOOO"  

• Haha 1

it is time to research promising areas  for the coming cool weather.

The obvious answer - the higher elevations of the Sierra Nevada in California. Highs tomorrow expected in the low 60s here in Reno.

• Like 2