Nugget Shooter Forums

Well a couple of weeks ago we were out detecting and Dad finds this cylinder with a cap on it.

He gets if home and gets the lid off. Glad he didn't use a cutting torch!

It was full of blasting caps.

And, of course....he wants to blow one up now. Would 12VDC set it off?  Yes, we will have plenty of space away from it and be safe.

Tom H.

SAM_1919.JPG

SAM_1920.JPG

SAM_1921.JPG

• Like 2

Tom those caps look pretty old. they may not go off at all? also that cylinder looks like a mercury cylinder for storage and transport.
AzNuggetBob

• Like 2

Most common are 120 volts AC. Never use a battery. But like Bob said, they look pretty old so who knows what type they are. But I do know, all the ones we use at the mines are AC voltage.

Tom If you take that center plug out of that mercury cylinder and get yourself a piece of drill steel it would make a great rock crusher.

AzNuggetBob

20 minutes ago, AzNuggetBob said:

Tom If you take that center plug out of that mercury cylinder and get yourself a piece of drill steel it would make a great rock crusher.

AzNuggetBob

Already got one of em :)
Tom

35 minutes ago, nugget108 said:

Most common are 120 volts AC. Never use a battery. But like Bob said, they look pretty old so who knows what type they are. But I do know, all the ones we use at the mines are AC voltage.

Ahh...its not worth it. Probably just wait for the next outing and throw them in the fire!  That will liven thing up a bit? :ya:

Tom H.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • wow 1

2 hours ago, TomH said:

Yes, we will have plenty of space away from it and be safe.

What could possibly go wrong? 😉

• Haha 2

Make me a crusher Tom 😀

Posted (edited)

When I was in the blasting business I used the electronic shooters with major capacitor in them, kind of like a taser ... Don't use a battery it's dangerous ... Don't use 12 vdc or 120 AC ... Throwing them in the fire from a distance is probably the best idea...As long as you have sufficient Cabo Wabo to have the right attitude! .... Cheers, Unc 

Edited by Uncle Ron
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Nugget Shooter said:

Make me a crusher Tom 😀 

I already got plans for it Bill, I need a crusher at my place.  

1 hour ago, AzNuggetBob said:

Bob, I think that is what it was fabricated for in the first place, it is a real home made piece.

Those things are pretty old, they have been underground for a long time but they still might explode.  I want to see them go 'bang'.  

Old Tom

• Like 2

Too Cool!! Me, I would just turn them in. Bomb Disposal could have some fun. I used to get some play time doing stuff like that in Iraq. The old container could be made into a ugly lamp for the garage. For the creative mind. LOL

Cheers!!

Mike sends....

• Like 1

Just saw this out on the Internet. Couldn't resist sharing at least.

33186814_354610975061633_6613240889756090368_n.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Old Tom said:

Bob, I think that is what it was fabricated for in the first place, it is a real home made piece.

Old Tom I think you may be correct, they re-purposed everything back then. It does have a lot of history and to tell ya the truth I think it would make a great looking table lamp too. but hey I'm a miner.:Diggin_a_hole:
 AzNuggetBob

• Haha 1

Those look to be 1950s or 60s vintage. They can be plenty unstable and explode without any battery or electricity. They can go off from static in the air such as comes over in a thunderstorm. Dangerous stuff to have around the house to be sure. Much like old dynamite.

• Like 4
  • wow 1

So cool,  Toms. 

Yep, I would just call the sheriff's office and tell them you found them and ask how to dispose of them. Not worth fooling with them.

Posted (edited)

A stern warning at 9:50 for you Tommy!!

Edited by kwah
  • Like 1

Tom.  I have a friend missing two fingers from a blasting cap.   I'd call the police and let them pick them up?

!

15 minutes ago, kwah said:

Don't let the Liberals see this. Cap guns in the house, finger shooting the kid by an adult. All triggers for the liberals. LOL

Had and did the same thing when I was a kid; I'm now checking in as safe.