Nugget Shooter Forums

6 hours ago, Saul R W said:

Those ancients did a wonderful job, gluing quartz between layers of morph. The problem, if you believe that all of those rocks were formed by people, is that you pretty much have to disregard every known fact about geology and the formation of the world about us.

For a somewhat related example, one of my old age methods of keeping Social Security from stealing my dignity involves working with an assortment of dense hardwoods -- Mediterranean briar, morta, various fruit root burls -- and I frequently see what could be viewed as images in the wood grain (I'd see more if I smoked something stronger than tobacco).  I guess those curly bits of burl grain were placed there by neolithic folks, too?  Mole people.

Accusations of condescension aside, there might be a place for a coffee table book on pareidolithica, if you can find the right publisher.  Hats off to d_day for having the stones to use such a word -- I edited it out of a reply up yonder, prior to posting, because I learned the hard way long ago that using eight-bit words in a two-bit town either gets you elected mayor or run out on a rail, or both in quick succession. 

Your wrong about the rocks but you seem to be about the coolest dude ever, well said. Agree to disagree I guess? Honestly though I think this is gonna be proven soon they proved some in England something about sculptures needed to be seen at night or sunset from the southeast. Sorry too lazy to figure out to post links or take good pics of my stuff which would probably help my case. Well written I wish I could buy you a beer.

Greg, I've certainly been wrong before, more times than I can remember.  Ha!  But I'm also stubborn when I know I'm right -- 35 centuries of holding a minority opinion on almost everything of importance has likely hardened and tempered the familial stubbornness with which my tribe started our journey.

Say, as another example of how images can appear without intent, the county animal shelter a few miles up the highway has two larger-than-life stone animals out front, one that looks like a Scottie dog, and the other like a seated cat (maybe I have them mixed up, and the cat is standing and the dog seated -- it's been a while since I paid attention to them).  Both "sculptures" were randomly blasted out of solid limestone at a local quarry, and the quarry owner donated them to the critter rescue shelter.  Neither was formed intentionally, but they were absolutely accidental sculptures created several years apart by dynamite.  Besides being blown up, the dog was also smacked around by front end loaders for a while before it was discovered.  The quarry master kept a section of stone from which the cat separated -- the lines of deposition continue unbroken from host rock right through the cat, so it wasn't some ancient sculpture that had been buried.  I should take photos of them next time I drive to town, and share them with you, maybe Tuesday.  Also, the quarry owner has a collection at his home of various other accidental statuary, not one piece of it intentionally sculpted, just rocks that happened to break a certain way because of explosives and preexisting weaknesses in the rock structure.  In every instance, he was aiming for gravel, not images.

Frank C is right -- you'd probably love Arizona's rocks and minerals.  And especially the genuine artifacts, like metates and arrowheads and pottery.  Once you see the real thing, it's easy to spot a fake, something like a new prospector discovering the differences between pyrite and gold.  

Well, it's about time for me to shut down here.  Shabbat shalom, y'all. 

7 hours ago, Saul R W said:

Those ancients did a wonderful job, gluing quartz between layers of morph. The problem, if you believe that all of those rocks were formed by people, is that you pretty much have to disregard every known fact about geology and the formation of the world about us.

For a somewhat related example, one of my old age methods of keeping Social Security from stealing my dignity involves working with an assortment of dense hardwoods -- Mediterranean briar, morta, various fruit root burls -- and I frequently see what could be viewed as images in the wood grain (I'd see more if I smoked something stronger than tobacco).  I guess those curly bits of burl grain were placed there by neolithic folks, too?  Mole people.

Accusations of condescension aside, there might be a place for a coffee table book on pareidolithica, if you can find the right publisher.  Hats off to d_day for having the stones to use such a word -- I edited it out of a reply up yonder, prior to posting, because I learned the hard way long ago that using eight-bit words in a two-bit town either gets you elected mayor or run out on a rail, or both in quick succession. 

Old timer I hope you make it long enough to see me proved right. I hope I do as well and all the others reading this crap. I find more every single day try to limit the take home to one a day cause it's getting ridiculous. You might know Clovis artifacts      but this stuff is ancient I'm thinking. The rewrite is coming but change takes time. Look up Neanderthal San Diego and you'll get my drift.

All look like common stones/rocks to me.  Like was mentioned before, you can pick them up all day long if you have a good imagination.

The exception being the one with the 3 notches in it.... maybe for scrapping arrow shafts?

They all have both undeniable form and function when you hold them in your own hands. You start to feel the different grips incorporated for both the left and right hands and realize this rock is both art and tool, the thought and engineering behind them is hard for this sapien to believe as well. I looked at these tings for probably three years knowing something was there and only until it was pinching me upside the head did I start to believe. This pic needs to be viewed sideways to see the art made by removal of cortex.

IMG_1673.JPG