Nugget Shooter Forums
mn90403

I Found A Specimen With The Equinox

Last Thursday I went out with a couple of friends for a day hunt.  The first place we stopped they broke out their 7000s and I used the 800.  This area had be raked extensively and I soon tired of that so I headed for the unraked areas.  Just before we left I found a piece of quartz with a reading of 1.  It was consistent and it was not magnetic but it was dusty and I couldn't see anything.  When we made our next stop it was mostly to look at an old header and I washed it off with some tea.  We had a loop handy and sure enough it is golden.  How much I don't know yet because I haven't been able to find my fish scale to weigh it in water.  I went out today and tried to find more but spent a day in the sun with no additional gold.  The sensitivity was about 22 and everything else was default including the multi frequency.  It was down about 4 inches.

Mitchel

IMG_9544.JPG

• Like 7
  • well done 4

Nice beepin Mitch, looks like Rich Hill material.

Posted (edited)

Thats pretty Nice Mitchel ...And  you didnt need a 8000.00 +  dollar machine to find it !    :yesss:

Edited by adam
  • Like 1

Beautiful piece. Today will be a good day to get some sun too, and hopefully some gold! 

• Like 1

Very Cool and a great find! Great to see the Nox can find those.

Cheers!!

Mike

• Like 1

He Mitchell, had you been over the same area with your 7000? or any other detectors? Just curious.....

Posted (edited)

Great find!

In my opinion the GB 2 will find more.

I've found many PI's (4500, 5000, Garrett ATX) can't see this type gold at least in my experience. GB 2 will scream on that area. As I was not familiar with the Equinox prior to this post, I looked it up.

Pretty bold statement "The EQUINOX Series is the all-terrain multi-purpose detector that obsoletes all single frequency VLF detectors".  I'm sure it is a great machine and would love to try one, but...

There will be more.

2013-07-21_15-09-27_911.jpg

Edited by GeoJack
  • Like 1

Bill,

After we cleaned it up and saw the gold we then put it under a 7000/14 and it sees it easily.  It sees it from a farther distance than the 800 also.  I have now gone over that little hill where it was found with the 800 and the 7000 and not found any additional gold.  I'm not done with the area but it is almost 4 hours one way from where I live.

You guys who live on gold or camp on it have it easy at the end of the day.  We have a long drive.

Mitchel

• Like 2

Mitch, good to know the 7000 sees this gold. I had heard that it was able to. Would be interested in renting one for a week or so to go back over my claim and tailings.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mn90403 said:

Bill,

After we cleaned it up and saw the gold we then put it under a 7000/14 and it sees it easily.  It sees it from a farther distance than the 800 also.  I have now gone over that little hill where it was found with the 800 and the 7000 and not found any additional gold.  I'm not done with the area but it is almost 4 hours one way from where I live.

You guys who live on gold or camp on it have it easy at the end of the day.  We have a long drive.

Mitchel

Is an air test the same as testing the same  gold in quartz specimen that might have a halo effect from being buried for perhaps thousands of years?

Air tests are rarely accurate depth wise especially with a PI or ZVT technology detector, but can be useful to see if ya can hear it with different machines. Always different than results when testing a target in it's natural burried state for just that reason.....

We  know most coins, relics that contain silver, copper and other metals often have the halo effect when buried for long periods of time under certain conditions.

Since gold nuggets contain silver and copper, do gold nuggets have the same halo effect even if it is smaller then what you might find with coins? 

• Like 2

Yes they do Morlock and some more than others....

• Like 1

Ok, I have just made my weight measures and it leaves me with some things still to figure out.  I am using this:

http://www.desert-gold-diggers.org/gold/specgrav.htm#Calc

When I put in my dry weight (695g) and my suspended in water weight (430g) it come up with a -8.48g of gold!  Something is not 'right' because we can see gold there.  If the specific gravity of the quartz is changed to 2.60 in the formula then you get +7.19g of gold.  So the quartz from this area (The Dale District) may have a value between 2.60-2.65.  This one is too close to call so ...

It has been suggested to use acid or slice it.  I think slice it may be the way to go.

What do you think?

Mitchel

I have done the weights again to be more precise.  I hung the digital fish scale on a nail rather than hold it.  Now I got 691g dry/431g wet which makes for 5.1g gold according to the calculator.

I won't know until I see more of it by slicing or with acid.

Mitchel

• Like 1

Cool piece. That's like what I find here in one of my spots. Very little gold showing but the inside has a big chunk or solid piece. The 5000 picks them up easily.

That will look good sliced.

I am impressed with Mitchel's 800.  I was with him the day he recovered his specie.  After scrubbing the surface with water to get rid of the surface crud and dust we examined it with a magnifying glass.  We could clearly see gold speckled along both sides of one edge.  We found a spot without any trash contamination (not an easy thing right next to the still intact collar and head frame of a very old hard rock mine) and Mitchel began demonstrating how the 800 consistently registered a "1" when passed over the specie.  I passed the coil of my 7000 back and forth over his specie and was able to get a fairly robust signal from up to 12" or 14" above it.  Then we moved a short distance to an old sorting pile to see if the 800 could pick out an old discard chunk that was hiding its internal gold.  We got excited when the 800 began consistently  registering a "1" over one particular spot.  Unfortunately the source of the signal turned out to be a very old crumpled up small wad of aluminum foil.  That evening at my place it was pitch black outside so we took a powerful LED flashlight of mine and "candled" the translucent slab of specie.  By so doing we were able to make out what appeared to be an internal gold inclusion that was approximately an inch or so from from one point to another.  The milky quartz, however, was not clear enough to allow visual verification of whether or how much of the gold mass was interconnected.  A conductivity test should settle that question.  Now I want an 800 because there are many, many discard piles in places near to where I live and I can foresee some enjoyable hours spent trying to ferret out some hidden "micro nugget" gold!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sounds like a very versatile detector. 

Mitchel, that is an impressive find!!  The first thing that came to my mind was that it would look good sliced.  But .then again, it looks good as is, too.  Hope you find more

• Like 2

On 5/22/2018 at 1:12 PM, Morlock said:

We  know most coins, relics that contain silver, copper and other metals often have the halo effect when buried for long periods of time under certain conditions.

Since gold nuggets contain silver and copper, do gold nuggets have the same halo effect even if it is smaller then what you might find with coins? 

Add to those other metals the fact that some nuggets have iron staining, and while it is hotly debated, whether there can be a halo effect, I definitely believe there is.

Most gold prospectors have experienced the lost nugget syndrome.  Nice little target in the ground, you break up the matrix, get it out of the hole, and chase it around in the darn pile of dirt for 15 minutes.  Even when you finally get it, it just doesn't sound as good as it did when it was in the ground.

Doc

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, DOC said:

Add to those other metals the fact that some nuggets have iron staining, and while it is hotly debated, whether there can be a halo effect, I definitely believe there is.

Most gold prospectors have experienced the lost nugget syndrome.  Nice little target in the ground, you break up the matrix, get it out of the hole, and chase it around in the darn pile of dirt for 15 minutes.  Even when you finally get it, it just doesn't sound as good as it did when it was in the ground.

Doc

Exactly Doc Your breaking up the halo effect if you over dig the hole. in other words dig past the nugget before you realize its out of the hole. If you dig down to the nugget and just pop it out you get the best halo effect under it.  also I seem to pick up the best halo effect with a mono coil and a PI.
AzNuggetBob

• Like 3

We would like to get some HF.  Does anyone know where?

As to Doc's and others 'halo effect' some of my recent reading from JP and others about the 7000 seems to call this effect 'tracking out' rather than halo.  I think there has to be some of both.  In the case of the 7000 semi-auto has been added so that 'track out' does not happen as often while a detector ground balances and is supposed to be better than manual GB.

For those of you who use the GB2 or other technology without auto or semi-auto ... do you get a 'halo effect' with those detectors?

I'm mostly a beach hunter with various detectors like the SE Pro, 3030 and now the Equinox and I sometimes 'lose' a target at the beach in wet and dry sand after I start digging it.  This can be with and without GB.  Some say it is orientation and some say the salt 'halo effect' but all I know is it happens.

Mitchel

12 minutes ago, mn90403 said:

We would like to get some HF.  Does anyone know where?

It might be easier to find someone who already has it and would be willing to process it according to your instructions for a fee.

• Like 2

I found a place selling 1 liter for $75.

Bill recently used some so he could give us an idea of his handling precautions.

14 minutes ago, mn90403 said:

I found a place selling 1 liter for $75.

Bill recently used some so he could give us an idea of his handling precautions.

What the percentage, the higher the concentration the more dangerous it is?

Material Safety Data Sheet, this is for 47% to 51%.

http://wcam.engr.wisc.edu/Public/Safety/MSDS/Hydrofluoric acid, 49%.pdf