Nugget Shooter Forums
Mayhem253

Can anyone help me identify

Can anyone tell me what type of Amber this is and approximately what it's worth 

1526109404586-530367516.jpg

15261094443961659626020.jpg

15261094613931066686748.jpg

1526109549674857388101.jpg

1526109599511-720589883.jpg

• Like 1

Better photos in natural light would be better to tell more about the piece.

Do you know where it was found, need to know how much it weights?

Amber type is usually dependant on where it's from and then with a color description and if it has any inclusions, the most common is Baltic amber, amber seems to sell for up to $10 a gram for good pieces, could also go for more depending on other factors.

• Like 2

I'm thinking you've got some coral there rather than amber. 

• Like 1

It looks like  mexican fire agate but is an extremely large piece.   It also looks a little like amber but the shape is not common.  Do you get fiery reflections with light shining on it.  if so it is definately fire agate

• Like 3

If it's translucent, I don't think it's fire agate. Amber would be my guess based on translucency.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pondmn said:

It looks like  mexican fire agate but is an extremely large piece.   It also looks a little like amber but the shape is not common.  Do you get fiery reflections with light shining on it.  if so it is definately fire agate

Pondmn
You may be correct. I didn't even think of that when I first looked at it. especially with the outside nodual shape it has. but it does appear to have been polished or tumbled?
By the color Im thinking Mexican opal.
We were down in Mexico one time and a local showed me a deposit of this white rock he referred to as opal? one piece we found was about a foot long x 5" thick. at first I thought it was some type of marble. but it did have a skin on it like many opals do, It didn't have any color at all other than a glassy white. but I was still hesitant about it being opal. I didn't have any hardness scribes with me, we were hunting nuggets. so I just packed it home and put it on the mystery rock bench for awhile. (my desk) :D
Well I finaly got around to testing it one day, ground of a small side section, no color.I cut off one end with a rock saw to see if it had any layering from a right angle and get a clean window on it. and it turned out to be white Nephrite jade.
sometimes ya just never know until you test it.
AzNuggetBob

• Like 2

Something else, I don't see any bubbles?

AzNuggetBob

• Like 1

The surest test for amber is the scent test.  If it's amber, rubbing it with your thumb will release a wonderful pine scent -- so would sprinkling a tiny bit of powder in a candle flame.  Amber holds that distinct pine scent seemingly forever.  I have late 18th century smoking pipes that probably had many pounds of rank tobacco smoked in them, and a gentle rub of your finger and thumb on the amber bit/stem will still bring out that pine scent.  Also, even though it's no longer sticky, the surface can still feel slightly sticky when you warm it with the friction of your thumb rubbing on it. 

If it's amber, and relatively crack free on the larger portions, it could be quite valuable.  I used to work with amber occasionally , but no longer.

The quality of light passing through certainly look like amber to me, but the smell test would make it certain.

• Like 1

Pricewise, Gems and minerals are so much dependent on quality and size.  I'd actually look on Alibaba or EBay to see what a ballpark figure would be.

https://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?fsb=y&IndexArea=product_en&CatId=&SearchText=amber+stone&isGalleryList=G

• Like 1

Look up pictures of Mexican fire agate rough.  I have a piece the size of a silver dollar.....  Based on the size of the one pictured it might be quite valuable.   It should reflect green, yellow or orange fire when hit with light.  Just my two centavos which is less than two cents.😵

• Like 1

I found it when unloading a shipping container at my warehouse 

Im fairly positive its amber 

Here' more pictures 

As far as weight goes not sure don' have a scale that can read it.  

Id say between 1lb 5lb

1526458370652327303287.jpg

1526458406452-678265681.jpg

1526458428926-298283914.jpg

15264584586541838787143.jpg

1526458510021-1172408347.jpg

On 5/12/2018 at 3:20 PM, d_day said:

I'm thinking you've got some coral there rather than amber. 

I just saw my phone autocorrected copal to coral. I think it's probably copal.

It could also be a piece of man made resin or pine tree resin.

• Like 1

Some of the new pictures make me think it is not fire agate.  I agree it could be man made resin as there has been some going around to be passed off as fake amber.  If you take a hot pin and poke it and it smells like petroleum or chemical it is most likely fake resin....