Nugget Shooter Forums
Alwaysdirty

Bumblebee trail closures, HELP NOW! need comments by 5/22

1 hour ago, Saul R W said:

Back on topic, I certainly hope Chrisski is correct, and that recent federal appointees will turn the bureaucracies around and stop the TMPs and other encroachments on our right to use and enjoy the land.  It takes a lot of push to overcome inertia and reverse course for any of the alphabet soup gang.

I am still struggling with the route to take to contact these guys.  The AMRA seems to be devoting its efforts to fighting the dredging ban in California, but not in spending effort into fighting barring driving on wide open, empty federal lands.  I do believe it NEEDS to be brought to the BLM / DOI attention with more than just an E-Mail form an individual, but environmentalist groups are well organized and funded, we're not.

I'm willing to take any ideas.  I've got time and energy for this.  I would think this would be more of a fight for the four wheeler ATV / UTV crowd, but I get those are more get together clubs to go riding, and not organized in a way to protect access to those trails.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2018 at 2:30 PM, chrisski said:

I'm willing to take any ideas.  I've got time and energy for this.  I would think this would be more of a fight for the four wheeler ATV / UTV crowd, but I get those are more get together clubs to go riding, and not organized in a way to protect access to those trails.

Chrisski, I applaud your willingness to get involved. I'll help if I can, but I must warn you that my efforts in this area go back 15+ years and I'm weary and jaded. For many years, I've attempted and failed to get the off-road crowd, hikers, bikers and even some miners to realize the importance of the 1872 and related mining laws as the only way to gain a "right" to access. If we find a better communicator than I, (you maybe?) maybe we can have success in forming an alliance of sorts with some of the other interested parties. PM me if I can help.

Later...Jim P.

Jim, IMO there's enough organizations out there already, part of it would be getting them involved.  If these already existing organizations can't take on this task, our access will go away.  I consider the preventative fire closures in AZ a type of land grab.  I also believe the BLM public comments page falls on deaf ears if done by individuals, but if done by a group has a chance.

I may contact Public Lands for the People.  By title alone, this should be there main issue.  When I look at that AZ BLM TMP plan, the BLM plans to seriously restrict motorized access to most of their land.  I can only imagine they will do this in all the other states.  Rather sad.  I remember riding a dirt bike along unrestricted trails along public lands.  Seeing the restrictions done to the  Hassunyumpa TMP is worrisome.  I'm getting a bit old for those rough adventures, but I believe strongly that my kids and others in their generation deserve the opportunity.  Nothing in the long run is being ruined by motorized trail access.

I do think the pool of people able to join an organization like "Allow Access to our BLM lands," is too small to support another organization.  I see how little funding some of our non-profits have, and I don't want to take away from them with yet another hat to put the limited donations in.  Without access to thousands of dollars to lobby and fund court cases, makes the change difficult, but the time is best for it with our environment.  Raising awareness is a first step, but Pro-Bona volunteer law work will only go so far.

pm me the name, address for the supervisor that is pushing these restrictions, will send him/her a courtesy post. worth a try, that way you good natives won't be harmed. if me successful, will post it on the forum.

Posted (edited)
On 6/1/2018 at 1:42 PM, chrisski said:

Jim, IMO there's enough organizations out there already, part of it would be getting them involved.  If these already existing organizations can't take on this task, our access will go away.  I consider the preventative fire closures in AZ a type of land grab.  I also believe the BLM public comments page falls on deaf ears if done by individuals, but if done by a group has a chance.

I may contact Public Lands for the People.  By title alone, this should be there main issue.  When I look at that AZ BLM TMP plan, the BLM plans to seriously restrict motorized access to most of their land.  I can only imagine they will do this in all the other states.  Rather sad.  I remember riding a dirt bike along unrestricted trails along public lands.  Seeing the restrictions done to the  Hassunyumpa TMP is worrisome.  I'm getting a bit old for those rough adventures, but I believe strongly that my kids and others in their generation deserve the opportunity.  Nothing in the long run is being ruined by motorized trail access.

I do think the pool of people able to join an organization like "Allow Access to our BLM lands," is too small to support another organization.  I see how little funding some of our non-profits have, and I don't want to take away from them with yet another hat to put the limited donations in.  Without access to thousands of dollars to lobby and fund court cases, makes the change difficult, but the time is best for it with our environment.  Raising awareness is a first step, but Pro-Bona volunteer law work will only go so far.

This might be worth looking into if you have the time. The BLM has an advisory board with members that represent interests outside of the BLM and they have vacancies here in AZ. Later...Jim P.              https://www.blm.gov/get-involved/resource-advisory-council/near-you/arizona

Update: just found the deadline for nominations this year, it's today, June 4th. Start working on next years application.

Edited by Jim P.