Nugget Shooter Forums

Hello all,

I got bored and took the 2.5 grams of fines from the last speci and made another button. Ended up weighing 1.9 grams at the end. I'll add this one to the big one soon. Take care everyone. 

Dan

20180506_181017.jpg

20180506_180934.jpg

20180506_173927.jpg

• Like 8
  • wow 1

Nice...  I have a little fines waiting for a bored day too!!!  Purdy!!!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NvAuMiner said:

Nice...  I have a little fines waiting for a bored day too!!!  Purdy!!!

Thanks Doug. I just use the torch and a potato. It works good.

• Like 2

Nice little slug of gold :)
Tom H.

• Like 1

Always fun to do, melting. I like the little propane crucibles too.

• Like 1

So can you give a bit of an explanation of the potato? Do you use a torch like a plumbers torch wit MEP gas?  Any direction would be appreciated. Thanks 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fishing8046 said:

So can you give a bit of an explanation of the potato? Do you use a torch like a plumbers torch wit MEP gas?  Any direction would be appreciated. Thanks 

So all I do is get a potato and drill a 1 inch hole in it about 1 inch deep. Just turning your drill bit with your hand works. No need for a drill lol. Then I just use my oxy/acetylene. I hear the potato until it chars the hole black. Then I just put in about a gram at a time. Just don't get it too hot because it will begin to precipitate the gold and it bounces out of the potato. Not the most scientific way but it works pretty good.

• Like 2

You may want to consider using a flux. If your using something as hot as a welding torch you can vaporize some gold if you get it too hot. the flux will also absorb some of the lessor metals copper,zinc,tin,iron,lead, and quartz,. so your button by weight and size is going to shrink. but it will clean up and be a higher Karat. I use a mix of powdered salt, soda ash and borax. in that order as you heat it. BTW don't quench it, let it cool on its own. as it cools it will draw and float more impurities out. you can flip it out of the crucible,tater,or what ever your melting it in with a metal tool, tweezers etc once it solidifies. Its better if you melt small amounts of gold in a bone ash cupel with a little litharge. remember if your using a torch heat it up slow or you may crack the cupel or clay dish. If you cant find some of these materials, borax will work but won't work as well. you can find it at most grocery stores.
AzNuggetBob

• Like 2

Yes Borax cleans more than clothes. :89::4chsmu1: AzNuggetBob

• Like 3

Thanks 

I think I will try it with MEP gas and a plumbers torch.

21 hours ago, AzNuggetBob said:

Yes Borax cleans more than clothes. :89::4chsmu1: AzNuggetBob

Yep.  Borax (plain, unscented) is also useful when forge welding iron.  Borax or fine, clean sand work well for keeping the O2 away from your work pieces, but Borax forms a glaze at a much lower temperature, which is beneficial.

Also, the trick to making the old car-battery-jumper-cables-and-coat-hanger welding method actually work for an emergency repair was flux, and Borax was the best, so if your bumper fell off on the way to the laundrymat, you were golden.

• Like 3