Nugget Shooter Forums

Hey everyone, I found this piece in a ghost town here in Nevada. I have seen these band looking things before. If it is a band, what did it go on?? Thanks for any help ID'ing...

20180505_165419_1525565349673_001.jpg

• Like 3

Can you post better photos of the symbols on the side.

Does a magnet stick to it?

• Like 2

I'd like to see a better pic of the icon-looking shapes on the sides. The top one appears to be an arrow, the middle a star, and the bottom I can't quite make it out. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I could be wrong, but I believe it's a pipe-stem band from a square-stemmed smoking pipe.  Some makers/repairers used funky fake hallmarks on cheap silver-plated nickel.

Edited by Saul R W
dratted typo
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Like this, except square stemmed (and thus a square stem band).

pipe998.jpg

pipe999.jpg

Edited by Saul R W
Yet another dratted typo
  • Like 3

Sorry for the mess of posts, but that's what age does to a guy's technical skills.  Okay, here's what I'm talking about, except this pipe is a Peterson, so the hallmarks and the silver band would be genuine.  Anyway, it's square.

pipe4698.jpg

• Like 3

OR !  All you guys could just say " I dont have a clue" !  Thanks for pointing out the obvious 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hmmmmmm 1

5 minutes ago, adam said:

OR !  All you guys could just say " I dont have a clue" !  Thanks for pointing out the obvious 

You're welcome Adam!!

I can say you post isn't any better than our, just as pointless, other than to start a little friction, Hmmmmm. :idunno:

We may not know what it is but with a little more info we maybe able discover what it is.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, adam said:

Just trying to be helpful, youngster.  Those bands fall off regularly when the stem is pulled off for cleaning, and if the briar has shrank in dry air.  I've replaced many hundreds of missing bands on estate pipes, and installed many hundreds more to cover and repair cracks in briar pipe shanks.

• Like 6

Thank you everyone for the help.

Saul, those symbols do look the same, you might be on to something, thank you. Here is another pic of symbols.

Dave

20180505_211125.jpg

• Like 5

They do look the same. I think Saul nailed it. 

Cool find Dave.

• Like 5

Adam's cynicism notwithstanding, we have it nailed now.  It's from a tobacco pipe made by CPF (Colossus Pipe Factory), owned by Kauffman Brothers and Bondy in New York City.  The pipe to which that band belonged would have been made somewhere between ~1890 and ~1910.  Stories I've heard relate that the chicken or turkey was a jibe of sorts at the Brits and their more stuffy hallmarks.    Here's the nearly exact twin to your band, but from a round-stemmed pipe.

pipe7885.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

To continue a point I cut off somehow, it's not actually a chicken but an eagle, and the story about the chicken/turkey was urban myth.  The pipe was meant to commemorate the Army, Navy and Marines.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • well done 1

53 minutes ago, pairadiceau said:

Well done Saul!

Thanks, Pairadiceau.  It was pure fortuitousness that DolanDave posted a photo of an obscure object belonging to one of the very few subjects about which I actually happen to know something.  By one means or another, my mother's side of the family has been involved in the making and/or selling of tobacco pipes for something like 13 generations, including me.  My grandmother's half brother (not one of my gold prospecting uncles) wrote the book on identification of manufacturers of antique and obscure pipes, really the only authoritative book ever written on the subject.  I'm researching and writing an updated edition, racing the clock before senility steals my interest in everything but Depends and hard candies (any day now).

Some miner or ranch hand or snake oil salesman was really, really disappointed to lose that little scrap of metal.  He might have replaced the band with a nice baling wire wrap to keep the stem tenon tight in the shank.  Poor fellow.

• Like 3

Thanks Saul, you nailed it and I was in the clueless category :00000067: 

• Like 3
  • Hmmmmmm 1

Posted (edited)

Thank you Saul,

That date 1890-1910 is right on to the place in Nevada I found it, Delamar, Nevada. During its heyday, primarily between 1895 and 1900, it produced $13.5 million in gold.

Thats cool it was right down your alley, pipes. You and your family have a lot of history in pipes, thats awesome !!!

Dave

Edited by DolanDave
  • Like 3

Incredible ID Saul! 👌

• Like 1