Nugget Shooter Forums
Rod

Chasing the source - vuggy type specimens

Some friends and I recently found a wash that produced good nugget and specimen gold. At this point, I don't believe there is a target left the wash as we've detected it and dug it out so thoroughly with a variety of detectors but at the same time I know all too well that no one gets it all. This wash is quite long and has some impressive hand stacking in it too, but that's another story for another time. The pics here are some of the last specimens that I recovered from the headwaters of the wash, basically from where the original pocket dig is. Sure wish I could have detected the original pocket while it was intact.In case you're wondering, yes the wash also had some great fine gold in it, key word being "had". We vacuumed this wash quite clean. Finally bought a new camera too today so these are some halfway decent photos. Enjoy, it's out there kids! 

vchase13.jpg

vchase12.jpg

vchase11.jpg

vchase10.jpg

vchase9.jpg

vchase8.jpg

vchase7.jpg

vchase6.jpg

vchase5.jpg

• Like 9
  • well done 2

Awesome chunks Rod, Good job.

• Like 1

Nice stuff Rod!

• Like 1

Rod 

That stuff doesn't look like it traveled very far

• Like 1

Hope you get to the source Rod....congrats..

Dave

• Like 1

Thanks guys. The old timers got the source long ago, we just found what they missed as we chased the gold (float) right up to the original dig. Good times. 

Well heck....about 80 yrs too late :)

Least you figured it out and know what went on.....there could be another vein close by?

The monster might sniff it out...or a GPX.
 Good luck

Tom H.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TomH said:

Well heck....about 80 yrs too late :)

Least you figured it out and know what went on.....there could be another vein close by?

The monster might sniff it out...or a GPX.
 Good luck

Tom H.

Only 80 years Tom 😀 We don't believe that any other gold bearing veins are crossing this particular wash, at least not near the top of the wash near the dig. We've pounded the area with a variety of detectors, coils, and settings, including using grid lines, so I'm fairly confident in that assessment. Have not been able to see any visible gold in the original dig's host rock but it's the same host rock as what you see here. Pockety type gold can be funny like that, rich near the surface. Might punch down deeper into the original dig a few more feet sometime but if there was anything of size within detector range we'd have heard it. Hopefully a small stringer will show up within a few hundred yards, no gold found on the other sides of the hill or in the other washes in the area yet. 

• Like 3
  • Hmmmmmm 1

Very impressive Rod.  I really like specimen gold.  Fun to look at and to crush.  Taking a hand lens to a specimen, one can really understand how gold might form in the vein and why there is so much micro gold and dust found in placers.  This is what prospecting is all about, fun and rewarding.

Bob

Rod: Those photos of yours taken with your new camera are better than "halfway decent."  I'd say the photographer deserves some credit for the composition.  Real talent isn't easy to hide.

Posted (edited)

😀 Righteous fantastic finds for sure-John

Edited by Hoser John