Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MeteoJuice22

Is This A Space Rock?

Here's another one, also very corroded found in different area. How can I tell the difference between a "meteorode" and scrap? It does appear to be rusted steel

IMG_20180331_103759387.jpg

IMG_20180331_103756934.jpg

IMG_20180331_103804863.jpg

You can file a smooth window and then try to etch it with ferric chloride.  You could also have the window show with an XRF gun and see if there is nickel present.

• Thanks 1

Very heavy. about 60 grams, highly magnetic, kinda seems like it could have flowlines but it's quite weathered. Found in Washington county, wisconsin

On 4/29/2018 at 11:48 AM, MeteoJuice22 said:

Very heavy. about 60 grams, highly magnetic, kinda seems like it could have flowlines but it's quite weathered. Found in Washington county, wisconsin

Juice - it looks like hematite to me, did it leave a red streak when you filed the window?

It's extremely magnetic, streak test on outside of stone is orange streak but interior scratches a light grayish black

I have a lot of hematite samples and this is very unlike them but I will not eliminate the possibility. I have also never heard of hematite being detected with a low grade metal detector. Especially a small stone

It could be magnetite.

It's for certain not hematite, but I think it could be some sort of magnetite. How could I determine if it is magnetite or not @Morlock

52 minutes ago, MeteoJuice22 said:

It's for certain not hematite, but I think it could be some sort of magnetite. How could I determine if it is magnetite or not @Morlock

A piece of magnetite can be turned into a permanent magnet.  As a kid, we did it using two methods.  The first was to rub a strong magnet against the magnetite, in a single direction, like striking a match over and over 30 or 40 times.  The second method, which works but can ruin your specimen (but it still aligns the atoms and makes it magnetic), is by striking it sharply with a hammer (it takes a number of tries sometimes).  I don't think there's any other natural substance that can be so magnetized. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MeteoJuice22 said:

The easiest way is a simple streak test. It should be  grayish black on white unglazed porcelain with perhaps some minor variations.

• Thanks 1

The streak test is indeed grayish black and also sparkly lol. does this mean a for certain magnetite specimen?

Here is another shot of the window. There is a shiny inclusions near the center of a brighter metal. Is this also a characteristic of magnetite to be jumbled with other minerals?

IMG_20180508_193850112.jpg

Yes, mixtures are common.

It is not a meteorite.

billpeters

• Like 1

9 hours ago, billpeters said:

Yes, mixtures are common.

It is not a meteorite.

billpeters

The yellow is most likely limonite. The interior.... mostly magnetite with a little hematite.

• Like 1