Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Boorx4

Another Surprise

Greetings everyone,

Well, we finally go a relatively cool and not so windy day yesterday here in southern AZ. so I was able to take my Gold Monster 1000 out for one last walk for the winter season cauz' "The Heat is On" probably for good until late October.

Decided to try once more, a little patch area that my pardner's son found.  He got two nice pieces with his Minelab 7000 a few weeks ago.  The area was pretty clean except for the ten thousand or so hot rocks.  I did find two pieces of aluminum and a big piece of lead.  I also came across a pea size stone that looked like every other hot rock in the area (dark brown with the same texture)  It was trying to give a positive (gold) indication, but I was skeptical.  Just through it into my junk pocket.

This morning I looked over my junk from the day before, just to be sure every thing is just that, junk.  I saw the little hot stone and decided what the heck, so I put it in the mortar and pestle, crushed it up and dumped contents into a gold pan.  Out came a small piece of gold. Really???  I mean REALLY!!!  😊 That was a surprise.  Gold in hot rock material!

At least I ended the hunting season without the old skunk-a-roo.

Happy hunting everyone,

Bob

James' Patch.JPG

• Like 9
  • well done 2

Bob: Thats cool! :ya::yesss:

Great story.

Now, you cant tell me you wont sneak out for a morning or two during the summer? I know how bad the itch can be :)
Heck, Your a couple of degrees cooler than us up here in PHX.

Tom H.

• Like 1

Amazing story

• Like 1

The motto of this story is dig up all your hot rocks and crush with mortar and pestle. 😉

• Hmmmmmm 1

Greetings all,

Thinking more about my post above.  Most VLF detectors, especially the Gold Bug 2 would have heard the target but as just another hot rock and would have been discarded or kicked aside.  But I have been making it a habit to watch the meter on all my target hits when using the Gold Monster 1000.  If I had been using my Gold Master 3, this target would have been dismissed as just a small hot rock.

The target hit (indicating possible gold) is proof positive to me that the Gold Monster 1000 has quite an advantage over other VLF detectors. I'm hooked.  Just an after thought.

Bob

• Like 2

I'm glad you posted this because I have a number of ironstones and hot rocks that I want to crush but keep procrastinating.  Now I'm motivated.  If I don't do it quick I likely will have forgotten where they came from.

• Like 1

I have crushed 2 small rocks one quartz and one a grey material that the GM 1000 indicated a non-ferrous target on and both had gold in them when crushed. Normally hot or cold rocks will bounce to the left on the top bar indicator, but these went right so I kept them. I always am in all metal and did not think to try the discrimination on them.... I have found a couple places where there was so much trash etc. that I used discriminate, but there is a large loss of sensitivity in this setting as with all beepers with discrimination.

I agree the Gold Monster's ability to indicate whether it thinks a "hot rock" is ferrous or not is an advantage....