Nugget Shooter Forums

Does anyone know if the WSPA is still around? If so, who to contact for more info?

Posted (edited)

Not sure if posting links is permitted here.  If you Google "WSPA gold" the website comes up top of the results.  It looks sorta inactive.

Edited by Saul R W
typoo
  • Like 1

Yes, I think they are still around but have no contact information. There's probably a waiting list to get in though.

• Like 1

New president for the WSPA David Zirklebach    (David Z) 

714 420-6890

picobusman@yahoo.com

• Like 2

WSPA website has had no up dates since 2015 ...My opinion, having been one of the charter members, WSPA became kinda like an amateur, ego driven insiders' club...Too many rules and restrictions and secrecy...I cancelled after my first year ... The club does not appear to exist any more, but I'm sure that some WSPA folks are on Bills and/or Robs forums...Cheers, Unc

• Like 5

Yep I have no clue what is up with them, I was asked some months back to consider coming back and helping rebuild the club, but they did not like my ideas. Not sure what has happened since....

We joined for just 1/2 year, promo to join in Aug with renewal in Jan. Eh? Didn't care too much for that shenanigans. Nice meeting some of the members but left after one outing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Uncle Ron said:

WSPA website has had no up dates since 2015 ...My opinion, having been one of the charter members, WSPA became kinda like an amateur, ego driven insiders' club...Too many rules and restrictions and secrecy...I cancelled after my first year ... The club does not appear to exist any more, but I'm sure that some WSPA folks are on Bills and/or Robs forums...Cheers, Unc

X2

• Like 3

yes, the WSPA is still around.  I don't know nor care why some folks have a burr in their pants regarding WSPA.

True, the WSPA has never been what the original founders envisioned. It may or may not survive...like all things, WSPA will live or die...not a big dea;l just the way it is. 

I miss having Bill as a member and others...but it is what it is.

A web-based Association is difficult to keep going. IT is still going...

I like every body I have met in the WSPA; some more than others...

Fred

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I tried to negotiate with the current officers some and got no where, would love help keep it alive Fred, but my help was rejected after a couple members reached out to me. I have no opinion one way or the other and was willing to help, but...... :inocent: Hope you guys can iron things out and not give all that hard work up because a few seem to take offence at any offer to rebuild. Take care my long time good friend..... 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I was member number #44 in 2007. Even went to Bill's house to give him my dues check. I was just wondering as I'm looking for new places to hunt. Rye Patch area has too many controversies to get caught up in. Reads like too many egos want it for them selves. Now you guys have me wondering about WSPA too. Thanks for all the info.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

No worries, Bill.

I was to be Pres this year but my health got in the way. I do not like politics at any level...I understand your view and certainly respect it and you.

Ron, there is no organization of any kind that does not have these issues...join up and take your chances....

fred

Edited by fredmason
  • Like 2

WSPA is alive.  It is more 'private' than public and probably better that way.

Every month there is a 'find of the month' and there is also a 'give away' type of contest.  That keeps people coming back.

There are 4-6 outings each year with a coin hunt and the club has a couple of claims.  Most of the time the membership is maxed out and there is money in the bank.  The real problem is that people are busy with their lives and don't have time for building club value.  I wasn't one of the original members but have been a member for a few years now.  I'm on the board and things are just kinda going along.  There are fewer and fewer claim owners who want to open up their claims to a bunch of club members.  Where should it go and who should lead it is a problem for many clubs right now.

We've had a couple of Southern California Clubs come close to folding for lack of leadership and participation.  Organizing miners and prospectors is about like herding cats.  Everyone has an attitude and an idea but at some point you have to take votes and move together and that is when you start to lose members who disagree. 

As Fred says WSPA 'is what it is.'   He was going to be President which would have been good for most of us but David has also done a good job.  I like my WSPA membership.  Don't judge a group based upon those you disagree with.  If someone can dislike or disagree so be it.  

If someone has a really good idea and it is not accepted by a group, it probably makes sense to incorporate another non-profit and start another group.  I belong to several so I can use the claims.  I'm much more of a follower than a leader.

I wish Kevin and Bill would start a new group.  I'm ready to join.

Mitchel

• Like 4

With a cap of 100 members, WSPA isn't as big as some other prospecting groups, and therefor the level of WSPA Forum posts also suffers as a result. But many of the more active members of WSPA post here as well. Yeah, me included (WSPA#87). As for "secrecy," well, gold does that to many people..... :) "He who has found the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow is best advised to keep to his own counsel." HH Jim

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Jimmy M said:

As for "secrecy," well, gold does that to many people..... :)

Sounds like Paranoia and Greed to me.....

Like most clubs , I would bet that only 5% of the members actually put good effort into finding gold, and the rest stand around BS`ing...

I do like the idea of limiting membership though..

Edited by adam
  • Thanks 1

Adam, I rarely see you post the GPS of your gold finds andy more.  😉  Everyone has their 'spots' and they aren't going to tell anyone (even a good acquaintance) about them ... except a few of their best friends.  Then they tell a few and soon ...  What if your 'spot' is on a club claim you belong to, will you share that?

There are a few people who I will say share their experience and gold.  (Some just share their experience!)  The 3 gentlemen I know who share their gold and experience are Swifty, Micronugget and Lucky Joe.  Two of those 3 are still in WSPA.  These men have put me on gold and told me how to find it recently.  Another guy who has put me on gold in the past is Bill.  There of course are other people you run across who say 'come on with me' to a spot but that is a one off sort of thing.  Sometimes there can be others who don't want you to know.

I have my favorite beaches to hunt around here.  As it turns out some of my friends consider those same beaches to be THEIR beach!  haha  You try to get there before they do.  It is just part of the game you play now of getting there first.  That is human nature like fishing or hunting.

Why do we need people in clubs who rarely use it?  We need to share the expense or we just like them as people.  We are social ... trying to share valuables.  That can be difficult if you don't like to be a teacher.

Mitchel

• Like 2

I was charter number 25 and left because of one member who was vice president at the time and headed up the forum also. I, like others, liked most of the guys there but what happened to me was just not right. And like Bill S. I would be interested in perhaps helping to rebuild. There are still some good folks in the group ... and Fred M. always had a fresh hot breakfast ready for Max, my the 1 year old black lab! You spoiled him Fred!!! 😉

• Thanks 1

On 5/3/2018 at 11:50 AM, Mike Furness said:

I would be interested in perhaps helping to rebuild

There`s nothing to rebuild, as its just low key

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments everyone.  Mike, you were one of the reasons why I joined WSPA.

Most clubs like WSPA, GPAA, PCSC, OC49ers, SPMA and even QMDC are run by strong leaders who volunteer.  They get the support of the majority of the members until such a time they 'retire' by rule or they get 'burned out' and quit, they die or another strong volunteer comes along to direct the club.  Succession in the eyes of the founders is practically impossible these days for civic groups, churches or fraternal organizations let alone a gold prospecting club.  They are always looking for a dynamic leader who will encourage participation and drag others with them.

WSPA has a few lifetime members, claim holding members and paid members which make up the total.  Non-claim holding members are limited and pay an annual fee.  We are now at a point of renewal for the year.  If you would like more information about that you can contact me or another member and we'll be glad to forward your name to membership for consideration.  

We do not think of ourselves as having to rebuild but we are always willing to consider membership input that can make the club work better for all of us.  Times change and we need to be forward looking and not dwell on the past.  

Mitchel

• Like 1

Mike, why let one person ruin your fun....the dog needs a hot breakfast now and then....

no body gets along with every body all the time....btw, former members do not have to approved.

fred

• Like 2

On 5/4/2018 at 11:45 PM, mn90403 said:

Times change and we need to be forward looking and not dwell on the past.  

Mitchel ... Happy for you that you find the club beneficial. I would still be there probably if not for the actions of one individual who was censoring my posts on the closed forum because I disagreed with the direction things were going. I don't believe that censorship for an opposite opinion to 'leadership' is something that needs censorship ... but in reality should be encouraged and in many cases can lead to future growth of the organization. 

• Like 1

That also depends on the reason for censorship my friend.... We run into that here and the recipients of mod and admin attention feel the same as you express. Hard subject to address as a moderator, administrator, or site owner. In my opinion it is always best to have a fail safe installed and mine is Skip and our Mods who will and do point out my and all of our actions they believe are a result of feelings and not for the simple enforcement of rules. You do not have to like the administration/Moderators here to participate., but you must follow the simple rules we have laid out..... I was lucky early on and had Rod Fitzhuge helping me learn to run a (back then) Board and he taught me well that censorship is wrong, but following your own guidelines is essential.  Sorry Rod likely butchered your name 🤐

Anyway all serious actions at a public have to be discussed by a NON-BIAS governing crew, unless there is a direct attack to the forum or owner. We try hard we really do and Skip or the Mods have no fear of telling this forums owner he is wrong.....

Anyway just some tips to anyone wanting to run a public or private forum, people are allowed to express their opinion unless being a genuine asshole in my opinion.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Nugget Shooter said:

Sorry Rod likely butchered your name 🤐

All good my friend - Fitzhuge it is - as in huge nuggets! 🙂 We've come a long way together over the years on the interwebs 😉 

Edited by Rod
Typos

I would add, that the head of the forum here, has allowed Skip and the mods the leeway to speak from their various points of view - and we mods are a varied bunch but I have never felt I was being reigned in or expected to do anything but tell it as I saw it.

I was also a board of directors member with WSPA and without a doubt expressed some points of view that were not in the majority and was never told to do otherwise.

Some of the original intent that was behind the forming of WSPA has modified over time; the result of membership growth, added responsibilities arising from decisions regarding how claims are handled and a deepening of club legal responsibilities that led to changes in what is expected from the membership (hold harmless agreements etc.) to name a few. Leaders who have different ways of running things will also change the way a club is perceived - especially acute when viewed by the original membership. Groups like WSPA almost always evolve over time from their original characteristics, it's pretty much inevitable.
(Also, doesn't "Skip and the mods" sound like they should be a rock group or something?) 

anyway fwiw...

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

It took a lot of work to get the WSPA off and running and I'm sure it takes work to keep it going.
It was -- and still is -- a good idea. Like Flak says, changes were inevitable.