Nugget Shooter Forums

1 hour ago, FlakMagnet said:

(Also, doesn't "Skip and the mods" sound like they should be a rock group or something?) 

Well this forum in reality is about rocks.....gold, meteorites, minerals are all rocks so I guess we are a "rock group" or at the very least...something!!  :brows:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

This will be my last comment by way of explanation for leaving WSPA so that there is no dispute as to what happened. There was an incident that took place by a couple members and I sided with the 'offending' party on one aspect of the situation as a possibility of what 'may' have happened. Playing devil's advocate of sorts. The one and only moderator/administrator took  that as me being a 'rebel' and making an 'undesirable' comment so was told all future posts would be delayed until they could be read by the admin/mod and he decided 'if' they were acceptable for the group to see. No warning, no penalty box for me ... just censorship for which I would not stand! So in order to stay true to my moral core I had to leave the group. End of story ... I still have many friends in the group and hold no ill will toward the club. 

• Like 5

I've been with WSPA since the beginning -- member #5.  Over the years I've observed different styles from different folks; totally normal to expect in any volunteer group.  Sometimes you get folks who tend to row together; then the "ship of state" plows onwards and stays pretty much on course.  Other times a few who are responsible for tending to the helm may row more vigorously or less vigorously than the others; then the ship may tend to bob and drift.  Meanwhile, the general membership seem to enjoy the cruise and catch plenty of fish regardless of course adjustments.  As Fred commented, "It is what it is..."  Over time a number of folks entirely unconnected with this forum have discovered WSPA, adding new flavors to the soup and making me want to remain a member.

• Like 4

A little humor...I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member 🙂 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I have nothing but good things to say about WSPA. I attended the last two Southern Arizona outings and I met some nice folks and found some nice little nuggets. The setting and steak cookout on the second day of the outing is hard to beat. I recommend the club to anyone who’s looking for an alternative to the big clubs like GPAA and Roadrunners. The WSPA outings were just about meeting up and detecting for gold. There’s no bingo, cake walks, karaoke etc.

They don’t have a ton of claims but the ones they have are in good areas. I’ve seen some nice gold come out of the ones here and in California. 

• Like 4

My experience was that it was a group of a few experienced people who were willing to help and a bunch of nice but inexperienced folks who just wanted someone to put them on the gold without having to work for it. A lot of clubs are like that - few good contributors, and a majority who just want the benefits. Its easy for the contributors to burn out. And like most spots, the good gold is gone quickly. The only WSPA claim I ever found gold on was the one I contributed to the club - and I would guess that claim has contributed a lot of the gold found by WSPA members over the years. Pounds of gold were found there at one time - but no more as its been beat really hard and the last time I visited, there were open craters everywhere. A lot of newbie members that have no concept of filling in that 18 inch hole they just dug.  Finding good spots is a lot of work and few want to do that very hard exploration work then give the good gold over to folks who cant or wont do that hard exploration work. I started with a good attitude, but eventually my attitude turned sour and I left.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmmmmmm 1

18 hours ago, Reno Chris said:

My experience was that it was a group of a few experienced people who were willing to help and a bunch of nice but inexperienced folks who just wanted someone to put them on the gold without having to work for it. A lot of clubs are like that - few good contributors, and a majority who just want the benefits. Its easy for the contributors to burn out. And like most spots, the good gold is gone quickly. The only WSPA claim I ever found gold on was the one I contributed to the club - and I would guess that claim has contributed a lot of the gold found by WSPA members over the years. Pounds of gold were found there at one time - but no more as its been beat really hard and the last time I visited, there were open craters everywhere. A lot of newbie members that have no concept of filling in that 18 inch hole they just dug.  Finding good spots is a lot of work and few want to do that very hard exploration work then give the good gold over to folks who cant or wont do that hard exploration work. I started with a good attitude, but eventually my attitude turned sour and I left.

Chris, didn't you contribute 2 claims to the club? One in NV and one in CA?

• Like 1

Chris, didn't you contribute 2 claims to the club? One in NV and one in CA?

Yes. Of the two, the California claim produced far more gold.....

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Reno Chris said:

Yes. Of the two, the California claim produced far more gold.....

And didn't a couple members claim all the land around that CA claim -- for themselves?

Edited by Dakota Slim

Hey, Slim;

where are you hiding?  I hope you are doing OK.

fred

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, fredmason said:

Hey, Slim;

where are you hiding?  I hope you are doing OK.

fred

Hi Fred. I'm still out west. Doing ok. :olddude:

#I'd crawl from Jungo all the way to Rye Patch -- maybe even Gold Basin -- for a bowl of your chile verde!

Edited by Dakota Slim
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Me too Slim 

• Like 2

Me three !

• Like 3

On 5/19/2018 at 12:40 AM, Reno Chris said:

My experience was that it was a group of a few experienced people who were willing to help and a bunch of nice but inexperienced folks who just wanted someone to put them on the gold without having to work for it.

That is a little harsh.  At some point in time the club must have made a decision to invite inexperienced members.  Wouldn't you expect inexperienced people to take advantage that opportunity to learn from the more experienced members and also find some gold?  Nothing wrong with that.  

Thanks, guys...if I am serving you are all welcome!

Kwah, as time went on many nubbies joined. Of course they worked the claims that they were pointed to...a "pointy finger" and some instruction is always helpful-to anyone.

I think things happened to some that should not have happened...but, that is done. 

A GOLD Hunting  Association is not the same as playing baseball or chess. Very few will give up on a spot until the easy gold is gone. It is a lot of work to find a patch and even harder to share it...such is life!

fred

• Like 3

And didn't a couple members claim all the land around that CA claim -- for themselves?

Yep. When it comes to gold, many think its every man for himself, club or no club. There was also some dispute with a neighboring claim holder on those claims - I dont know how that one ended up.

That is a little harsh.  At some point in time the club must have made a decision to invite inexperienced members.  Wouldn't you expect inexperienced people to take advantage that opportunity to learn from the more experienced members and also find some gold?  Nothing wrong with that.  

I didn't intend it in any mean sort of way, just a plain statement of the facts. Its true of most clubs. A few contribute, most take what they can. There was not a lot of training or learning. The giant craters left everywhere by the newbies attest to that. Most people, while they are nice folks, just wanted someone to put them on the gold. Many of those were not really capable of putting themselves on the gold.

• Like 3

Was never a WSPA member but can relate to the sentiment shared here and completely agree with Chris. That’s why I “signed off” of the internet for a few years and stopped helping new folks. It’s easier to keep hunting gold with a few close friends and forget the community. People like to focus on the good side of prospecting but there can be a lot of heartburn when you put yourself out there to help folks. As crappy as that might sound at least it’s real. 

No need to mention names but I’ve been burned trying to help newbies several times. People will promise to never return to an area you share with them without further invitation and they will break that promise. They will return by themselves and with others. This kind of stuff and what Chris described sours you. The best medicine is exactly what Chris said, move on. Now matter how sour you feel, go and find your peace. I found my peace and am a better and smarter man for the experience. No hard feelings, these are lessons I am actually glad to have learned. 

Kwah, you nailed it. Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from making bad decisions. Don’t expect much from people and they will never let you down.

As far as censorship, censorship is telling a man he can’t have a steak just because a baby can’t chew it.

• Like 4

Yep.....

As a past member I can attest to the good food on the one outing we did with the group. As far as we could tell, most all of the attendees were good people even though we had some comments made to us about some situations. We just felt that group outings were not what we were looking for and when contacting one of the organizers by phone after we turned off on Rye Patch Rd. on where to go, he said, "go to the gold". That was it. Never found any on our trip but doing some research and just talking with some locals put us in areas that produced and had better views than Rye Patch. There were issues with claims that were used as membership, you could either pay a fee or allow the group to own your claim. My feelings are that you get much more out of the experience by doing your own research and prospecting. If you don't find gold in the fields, you probably will in the campground meeting new people.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

About 7 years I got interested detecting for gold.  One of the biggest initial challenges of this hobby is finding a place in a known gold producing area to detect.  Most people in my position join a prospecting club to have a place to detect while learning more about the entire process of "doing your research" to find your own gold.  When I joined a prospecting club as a newbie I didn't think of myself as someone too lazy or mentally unable to find my own gold, I had to learn how.  

Edited by kwah
  • Like 3

MOST hobby-oriented Clubs exist to provide persons with similar interests an opportunity to socialize with like-minded individuals to share their hobby and/or to learn more about that hobby. Enthusiastic, wide-eyed newbies are enthralled by the accomplishments and status of successful "old timers." "Wow, I sure wish that I can grow tomatoes as good as yours. How do you do it?" says the beginning gardener to the expert. In like manner the newbie nugget hunter seeks to emulate the success of the veteran gold-finder. It's only natural. And, when the now-veteran gold hunters were themselves newbies, they did likewise. Don't say you didn't. None of us were instant experts the moment we picked up our first detector. But two problems arise when it comes to electronic prospecting: gold nuggets are a finite commodity, and known goldfields are quickly depleted, necessitating more  research and/or prospecting. Which means that there are those who will innocently, or lazily, seek to exploit the efforts of others. And,  since a nugget the size of a dime is worth more than a week's wage for 90% of the world's population, therefore self-interest stimulates the desire for instant success. Hence the frequently heard comment "Wow, Jim, great nuggets. Where did you find them?" Or, "I'd sure like to find nuggets like those. Next time you go out can you take me along?" Human nature is human nature. My point: enjoy the hobby, rejoice in the good times had, the gold found, the friends made, and try to forget about the self-seeking exploiters and the inevitable personality conflicts. Just my two grains worth. HAPPY Hunting. Jim

• Like 6