Nugget Shooter Forums
frank c

New Whites 8x14 Sierra Gold Max "CONCENTRIC"

Brand new never used, cover included. $150.00 shipped.
Reply or P.M. here.

WP_20180419_008.jpg

WP_20180419_009.jpg

BUMP

O.K. Uncle Marvin sez get this Meteorite Coil to a new owner
 Lower the price to $125.00 inc. shipping.

201.9 gram meteorite 011.jpg

BUMP 
Final reduction goes to ebay soon.
$100.00  
Call or reply/msg me here

928 303 8474

Hi, just curious to know if this was a surplus stock item? I presume (being brand new) that you have not field tested it with your own gear to compare with a 6x10 stock standard DD coil? Have been looking for a Whites longscan coil if you happen to have one of those also. I think the SGM is comparable but a bit on the heavier side but have never had the opportunity to make a side-by-side comparison myself.

14 hours ago, TheGoodKnightKiwi said:

Hi, just curious to know if this was a surplus stock item? I presume (being brand new) that you have not field tested it with your own gear to compare with a 6x10 stock standard DD coil? Have been looking for a Whites longscan coil if you happen to have one of those also. I think the SGM is comparable but a bit on the heavier side but have never had the opportunity to make a side-by-side comparison myself.

"Surplus stock item" ????
I am not a dealer , I received this coil with a Whites GMT detector as an "accessory" that was purchased and not used.
The "owner" that I received it from died recently , before he even had the opportunity to use the detector OR the SGM coil.
He was a relative I am selling the last of his gear as a favor to his wife.
I personally have owned a "few"  GMT's and done quite well with them over the years.
The "white" SGM coils are "concentric" coils. The BLACK ones are "DD".
I have used SGM's over the years and produced many "deep" meteorites and nuggets.
When I owned and used GMT's over the years I always had a SGM with a xtra rod in use at any given time.
===  If "VINTAGE" (longscan) detector coils are what your after there are sites online with older vintage detectors and parts you can google to find them.
Do you know "how to Supertune your GMT ?

Edited by frank c

Do you know "how to Supertune your GMT ?

Hi Frank, from what I have read on various posts, my understanding is after gb (manual) add (+) a couple of clicks so that the coil is a bit hotter on the down stroke. I've always wanted to gives the Whites Goldmaster detector a crack so on impulse recently purchased a GMT with a 4"x6" Shooter DD along with the stock standard GM 6"x10" DD coils but cannot ever get the gain above 3-4 on the DD Shooter or 7 with the 6x10 (overloading). Could be partly due to higher mineralization issue but have nothing to compare it too as I don't know of anyone else in the area who operates a GM. I'm hoping that the detector itself is not the issue. Assuming no coil is connected (ie open circuit), do you know from your own experience if the detector should sound off at all on the gain. Cheers Jerry

When you speak of the grnd. bal. adjustment, yes get neutral (same sound on up an down stroke) then add a bit of + to it to just sound off on the downstroke.
But that is not Supertuning, there is a "hidden program" in the GMT for Supertuning. see my reference below for Jim McCulloch.
The 4x6 coil you should sell.
The factory 6x10 is an excellent coil for response even on tiny gold from tailing piles.
Your issue of overloading can be from hot grnd. OR other adjustment. Most likely you have your gain set too high.
The GMT is a powerful detector.
Your statement :
Assuming no coil is connected (ie open circuit), do you know from your own experience if the detector should sound off at all on the gain. Cheers Jerry
Are you saying you had the detector turned on with no coil connected ?
I'm not certain about the VLF's BUT don't EVER try that with a P.I. you'll have issues and possibly damage to the internals.

My Very Best suggestion to you , if you really want to do well with the GMT is to contact Jim McCulloch he is a Whites dealer in Ca. google him.
You can get a data sheet from him on Supertuning and understand the machine better with his write up.
Also if you can get a copy of ZIP ZIP by Larry Sallee you will greatly profit from the read.
Problem is the Zip Zip books have skyrocketed in price as a collector piece, (out of print) you'll probably pay as much for a copy as for this Sierra Gold Max coil.
Toss / sell the 4x6 , the stock coil will cover that end of small/tiny gold and get yourself an 8x14 for coverage and depth.
If ya wanna mess around with a "hockey puck" sized coil on yer hands an knees get a GB2 or a Gold Monster.
Hapy Huntn
Frank C.

Cheers, Appreciate the response and the contact for Jim re super-tuning.

I have read a lot of highly favourable and less favourable things about some of the gmT coils (inc. the Shooter DD and the Gold Max). The latter is a bit of a beast weight-wise as I understand it but it would be interesting to test a concentric coil on the GMT, assuming the local mineralization does not simply preclude using it to it full advantage.

I will chase Jim up about it but as I understand it (in theory), the methodology involves increasing the audio output to overcome the standard audio threshold limit and pick up faint target signals that would normally be hidden in the borderline 'hum' of generally used threshold setting. I presume running the gain as the max possible level would be expected, albeit limited in itself by the background mineralization of the target area being searched (and the preferred absence of trash targets)..

I may stand to be corrected but will make the assumption for now that utilizing the audio-boost function on the GMT performs a similar function of sorts but I look forward to reading Jim's technique on actually how it is performed and what if any are the downsides.

I guess what I described earlier in response to you question was the procedure for making the coil a bit hotter or more responsive, as opposed to super-tuning. It is commonly suggested by experienced users to run the Gold Bug II in a similar fashion, with both the threshold up a notch and gain (sensitivity) max'd. The GBII does at least have a volume control. Some PI (Minelab) users often run an auxiliary amplification pack which I assume further boosts the (weaker) 'response' signals. No doubt using a quality set of headphones (with matching impedance to the detector output channel) is considered to significantly assist with picking up those fainter signals. VlF or PI, same thing. I'm not sure of the output impedance of the White's Goldmasters, or for that matter the Fisher GB's (II, Pro, etc), Teknetics, etc or if one size fits all. The Koss UR-30's seem to be a good goto headset but has anyone ever researched this I wonder? However, there has been some good discussion on this here --> https://www.findmall.com/read.php?34,130739

if you were prepared to ship the coil to Portland then I would consider giving it a crack. I have to consider converting from Nz currency so Us$100 would be a full stretch for me at the moment. My wife already thinks I'm mad so I don't need to provide evidence in proof to that effect if I can help it. If you are agreeable thenit would need to reach him by next week as my son has been in Portland/Washington area for the past year but is due to fly out at the end of the month.

Let me know but in any case great talking to you. Regard, Jerry