Nugget Shooter Forums
Nugget Shooter

Today's Butt Ugly Half Gram Nugget

Lots of wind today in the desert, but managed a slightly unattractive half gram specimen, mostly gold, but will not clean up much more that it is now. Got it with the GM 1000 and it was down about 8 inches on bedrock under a small bench.

4-13-18.jpg

4-13-18b.jpg

• Like 12
  • well done 2

Cool speci Bill.

• Thanks 1

Gold is gold, Billy, but some bits stretch it.... That target, that deep reveals amazing combo of operator and machine!  WTG.  Cheers, Unc

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Uncle Ron said:

Gold is gold, Billy, but some bits stretch it.... That target, that deep reveals amazing combo of operator and machine!  WTG.  Cheers, Unc

It was what we call a chirp with the GM 1000 Ron and without a threshold it sounds very different than a VLF with one. It was a one way "chirp" that became an actual target once a couple inches of dirt and rocks were removed. Then it was a bang on right side hit on the ferrous/non-ferrous bar, yes I dig all targets but it is more exciting when the detector thinks it is a "good" target. I was hunting in "deep" "auto one" and crawling like a snail in a minefield.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • well done 2
  • wow 1

Posted (edited)

"crawling like a snail in a minefield."

That should be the 'Tip of the day!!!   When you know you're in the right area and you know that it's around in the specific area you're walking... you crawl.  Good on you for picking out the chirp in the high winds.  I think like Ron's thinking (and a lot of others I'm sure) "Gold is gold" be it ugly and small.... it beats the hell out of the skunkster.

Congrats and thanks for posting er up  :thumbsupanim

Edited by NvAuMiner
  • Like 2

The no threshold feature is great...That's the way I've always hunted with the GMs, GB and GB2, ML2100 and GPX 4500 ... I do not like thresholds... Cheers, Unc

• wow 1

WTG Beel! Yah, it is kind of ugly...but its gold :)  Congrats. It would have been ugly if you were out in a open flat area with all the wind today. Next time :)
Tom H.

• Like 1

I agree !  That is one ugly nugget  :D

• Haha 1

Ugly is the face of the person who finds out you spent the entire day swinging a pole in the wind and didn't find a scrap of gold.  You sir get the smiley face instead.  :4chsmu1:  

As for the "chirp" ... you let the cat out of the bag on that one.  It took me a little bit to realize those chirps actually meant something.  Thanks for sharing that beauty.

Andyy

• Like 1

9 hours ago, adam said:

I agree !  That is one ugly nugget  :D

It is in 55% Hydrofluoric getting a bath right now....

• Like 3

Clean, very rough, Electrum and gold specimen.... WOW may be on to something here, more exploring needed......

clean.jpg

• Like 7
  • well done 1
  • wow 2

Getting prettier! :thumbsupanim

• Like 1

The electrum explains why it was so dark and ugly when you found it!!

• Like 1

I didn't know that hfl would not dissolve silver...good to gain new knowledge...what the forum is all about...Cheers, Unc

• Like 1

By my lights Bill, it went from ugly with no character before taking a bath to not so ugly anymore and definitely some revealed character!

• Like 1

Hydrofluoric acid (HF) is a solution of hydrogen fluoride in water. Hydrofluoric acid is a highly corrosive acid, capable of dissolving many materials, especially oxides. Because of its high reactivity toward glass and moderate reactivity toward many metals, hydrofluoric acid is usually stored in plastic containers (although polytetrafluoroethylene is slightly permeable to it).

Hydrofluoric acid attacks the silicon oxide in most types of glass. It also dissolves many metals (not nickel or its alloys, gold, platinum, or silver), and most plastics. Fluorocarbons such as Teflon (TFE and FEP), chlorosulfonated polyethylenene, natural rubber and neoprene all are resistant to hydrofluoric acid. Hydrofluoric acid is so corrosive because the fluorine ion is highly reactive. Even so, it is not considered a 'strong' acid because it does not completely dissociate in water.

• Like 4

Hey Bill

Would this be the same Hydrochloric Acid that a fellow can buy from Wallmart? Just Curious I have a specimen I would like to mess with, 

15 minutes ago, fishing8046 said:

Hey Bill

Would this be the same Hydrochloric Acid that a fellow can buy from Wallmart? Just Curious I have a specimen I would like to mess with, 

Hydrofluoric..... Way different stuff my friend and sure don't want to breath it or touch it. I once was doing some specimens in a shed with windows... Went back a day later and dang windows were frosted from the open plastic beaker 's fumes I was cooking species in. Glad I learned the hard way without dying.... Hydrochloric would have dissolved the silver

Nicely done, and all the best,

Lanny

• Thanks 1

Wow Bill I guess that detector doesn't discriminate on looks. :D
Hey gold's gold, its all beautiful in its own way.  AzNuggetBob

• Like 1

Would HFL brighten a small specimen of electrum I found years ago? It's a neat looking electrum wire in matrix but it doesn't look  bright because of the copper and silver in it.

• Hmmmmmm 1

HF will do quite a good job on cleaning up your gold specimens.  But... it is nasty (dangeruos) stuff and IMHO it should not be handled with inexperienced hands.  PPE is critical when using the stuff.    It could be a game changer if it makes contact with your eye's, skin or respiratory system.  Don't mean to preach... jus throwing caution into the wind.

I have never used HF but have friends that do, and the result is awesome.  I use 'Whink - Rust Stain Remover' found at Wallyworld and most hardware stores.  It has a very small amount of HF in it and does a good job if you have the paitence to let it sit for days and change out the solution every so often.

Have fun -n- Be safe                                                                                                                   

Edited by NvAuMiner

I've used HFL acid many times previously and am well aware of the potential hazards. I just wanted to know what type of results might be expected when using it on a electrum wire on matrix specimen.

I think copper will dissolve in HFL, not sure though.