Nugget Shooter Forums
Nugget Shooter

Today's Butt Ugly Half Gram Nugget

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Morlock said:

I've used HFL acid many times previously and am well aware of the potential hazards. I just wanted to know what type of results might be expected when using it on a electrum wire on matrix specimen.

My appologies Morlock if you thought my comment was directed your inquirey on HF.  Sir. . . it was not.  I really wanted to "throw caution into the wind" for those that read this site for information and are new the processes of cleaning gold.  Believe me... there are quite a few more knowledgeable than I on here.  But, I do know the hazards of HF and wanted to add an extra emphasis on its use for those that might be less experienced.

Edited by NvAuMiner
  • Like 5

I agree strongly with NvAuMiner, as well.  HF is extremely dangerous.  (not HCl bur HF)   It is used in the Semiconductor Industry where I work and we were forced to attend safety classes on it each year (just on HF).  We were always told that if you were covered/splashed with an area covering 6 inches in length, you would die.  Not sure of the validity of this, but I personally know of one woman in our shipping dept. who mistakenly got a small amount on her finger.  The hospital she was rushed to, pulled off her nail and gave her a shot where her nail was so that the acid would not keep eating the bone calcium in her finger.  Let that settle in for a bit.   As Bill has shown, HF has its uses, for sure.  Just be extra extra careful with the stuff.  I'd like to keep seeing people posting their gold on here :D

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Andyy said:

I agree strongly with NvAuMiner, as well.  HF is extremely dangerous.  (not HCl bur HF)   It is used in the Semiconductor Industry where I work and we were forced to attend safety classes on it each year (just on HF).  We were always told that if you were covered/splashed with an area covering 6 inches in length, you would die.  Not sure of the validity of this, but I personally know of one woman in our shipping dept. who mistakenly got a small amount on her finger.  The hospital she was rushed to, pulled off her nail and gave her a shot where her nail was so that the acid would not keep eating the bone calcium in her finger.  Let that settle in for a bit.   As Bill has shown, HF has its uses, for sure.  Just be extra extra careful with the stuff.  I'd like to keep seeing people posting their gold on here :D

Andy, you are correct. It will go to the bone, and you need a special antidote to deal with it.

Just have to be smart when using it.

Tom H.

• Like 1

Why not use vinegar and salt? Takes longer, but the results are good, and safe.

59 minutes ago, wet/dry washer said:

Why not use vinegar and salt? Takes longer, but the results are good, and safe.

I am well versed in the use of HFL and use it often to remove host rock like quartz from a specimen, vinegar and salt will not remove quartz and leave results like with the nugget above above or this one which the host rock was removed from in 2 days.......

IMG_5186.JPG

• Like 3

Dang, that looks nice, Bill.   Also, I know you are experienced with HF and I hope you didn't think my comments were directed to you.  My comments were only for those not familiar with the acid.  As you've shown, many times, the risk of using HF is sometimes worth the reward.  :thumbsupanim

• Like 2

Not at all Andyy..... I was replying to Bob.

• Like 1

I've used HFL acid many times and it is nasty stuff...There are relatively easy to understand and follow rules, but you can't take shortcuts or be sloppy...you really can die from the stuff ... If you get a drop on you it goes straight to the bone then starts spreading through your body ... At that moment it is pretty much too late to do anything about it...Post Toasties fer your butt... I used to set up powerful fans to blow away the fumes and a big big box of baking soda to neutralize any uh-ohs ... But I was so covered in gloves and other protective coverings that I never had a problem ...Gotta move slow and deliberate at every step and you'll be OK ... If you don't want to respect HFL as it requires, don't even consider messing with it...A nugget you might upgrade by $100 ain't worth it.... Cheers, Unc

• Like 4