Nugget Shooter Forums
DolanDave

Prospecting Boots Protection Ideas

Posted (edited)

Hey all,

My Boots tend to wear out at the tip from using my boot like a rake as shown in picture. I just got these new Reebok 8" Rapid Response Boots with a side zipper for easy on and off. It is a no metal in boot, with a composite toe. I also add a puncture resistant midsole (as shown in picture) inside the boot to keep anything from penetrating through the bottom like chollo cactus.

I had an idea to extend the life of the boot sole at the tip, maybe spraying on a thick layer of truck bedliner to the shoe sole, or ?? Anyone have any ideas to put on the tip to extend the life of the boot?

Thanks,

Dave

Boot Wear.jpg

New Boot.jpg

New Boot2.jpg

Puncture Resistant Midsole.jpg

Edited by DolanDave
  • Like 4

I have the same kind of boot with the same hole haha. The only thing i have found that works good is a more expensive boot with a real rubber sole. They still wear out but just not as fast. But im sure there is something out there that will protect the whole toe, top and bottom. 

• Like 2

Try E6000 epoxy.  Stores like Target sell it.  Or Amazon.

I wear Merrell shoes and use my foot as a rake as well.  After a few months, the sole starts to detach in the same area as your 'hole'.  Some epoxy liberally applied allowed my shoes to live on for a few more months.

Good Luck !!

Luke

• Like 3

8 hours ago, DolanDave said:

Hey all,

My Boots tend to wear out at the tip from using my boot like a rake as shown in picture. I just got these new Reebok 8" Rapid Response Boots with a side zipper for easy on and off. It is a no metal in boot, with a composite toe. I also add a puncture resistant midsole (as shown in picture) inside the boot to keep anything from penetrating through the bottom like chollo cactus.

I had an idea to extend the life of the boot sole at the tip, maybe spraying on a thick layer of truck bedliner to the shoe sole, or ?? Anyone have any ideas to put on the tip to extend the life of the boot?

Thanks,

Dave

Boot Wear.jpg

New Boot.jpg

New Boot2.jpg

Puncture Resistant Midsole.jpg

Yes, put vibram soles on them. AzNuggetBob

Dave all kidding aside, I have always been a big fan of vibram soles... They don't wear out and stick to rocks like glue compared to cheap Chinese boots. when I'm out in the hills,slipping and falling is important to me especially when I'm hunting alone I dont mess around when it comes to my boots.

AzNuggetBob

• Like 5

6 hours ago, AzNuggetBob said:

Dave all kidding aside, I have always been a big fan of vibram soles... They don't wear out and stick to rocks like glue compared to cheap Chinese boots. when I'm out in the hills,slipping and falling is important to me especially when I'm hunting alone I dont mess around when it comes to my boots.

AzNuggetBob

Bob, I will remember that when the sole wears out, thanks...

A nice invention for detectorists, would be something that could just attach to the front boot sole to protect.... hmmm 🤔

• Like 1

Not boots but you get the idea!!:ROFL:

best-winter-shoes

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

Find a old knobby quad tire, cut the tread to fit and epoxy it on :)

That way I can track you also :4chsmu1:
Tom H.

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

If you taped out an area on the new ones and put a few coats of spray on bed liner, I believe you'll get more miles before they let loose.
Did ya get the new ones at the Army Navy on Charleston ?

Edited by frank c

4 hours ago, frank c said:

If you taped out an area on the new ones and put a few coats of spray on bed liner, I believe you'll get more miles before they let loose.
Did ya get the new ones at the Army Navy on Charleston ?

No got them online Frank, at US Patriot Tactical. I was thinking about doing exactly what you said...

• Like 1

On 4/4/2018 at 3:42 PM, Au Seeker said:

Not boots but you get the idea!!:ROFL:

best-winter-shoes

Just what I need to blade off those pesky surface hot rocks. :thumbsupanim
AzNuggetBob

• Like 2