Nugget Shooter Forums

I had to repair my "test nugget" again today, been about 5 years since it fell apart last, I retape it with clear packing tape an she's good for a few more years of abuse.
Is anyone familiar with this prospecting shop that was in Azusa Calif.?
I traded there in 1979-81 and bought this card with the test nug there. I wondered if anyone knew of Jerry Hobbs and the Shop ?
This daaum nugget test card is THAT OLD ! Yup jest about 38 years.

WP_20180330_005.jpg

WP_20180330_004.jpg

• Like 4

I love, love, LOVE that test card! So much useful weight refererence info on there. I've been to / through Azusa several times (2004 - 2007) but I didn't know about that shop - sadly, it was probably long gone by then. :cry2:

• Like 1

Jerry was a great guy and a good friend. He often dropped by our editorial offices ("Treasure Magazine") to talk about our mutual passion for gold hunting. A quiet, unassuming kind of guy, but when he had something to say it was worth listening to. HH Jimmy M

• Like 4

Yup. I knew Jerry backin the 90's...we used to dredge the East Fork ...and shoot the chit at the Follows Camp restaurant. Jerry owned Azusa Gold, myself and I few friends from Burbank would go over to his shop and talk well shop...lol. Jerry new his stuff and was quiet  but tough as a nail...he represented the prospecting community by going to Sacramento many times to fight for our rights. Here are two photos of me on Jerrys 8 inch dredge on the East Fork of the San Gabriel River , Azusa. The rig ended up in Marysville, California.

east fork2.jpg

east fork.jpg

• Like 2

I am amazed, at both the amount of knowledge the members here hold.
And that I have been familiar with PLP, as a matter of fact a couple years ago my wife bought a tee shirt to support  PLP but I was never involved enough with the organization to put 2 and 2 together with Jerry Hobbs.
Thank You all for the "input". I hold a piece of Mining History having that card.

Hapy Huntn.

• Like 3

White's used to give out those cards with dinks on them to promote dealer sales ...I still have a couple left from 20 years ago ... Cheers, Unc

• Like 1

Jerry is the greatest lost to the gold prospecting/mining comunity in recent history, RIP Jerry!

• Like 1

Ron, Whites printing is on the inside of 1 piece of this 2 piece card you are correct !

I would love to be able to take a dredge like that onto the east Fork of the San Gabriel River now.  Hopefully that ban lifts while I'm still able to work a dredge.

2 hours ago, chrisski said:

I would love to be able to take a dredge like that onto the east Fork of the San Gabriel River now.  Hopefully that ban lifts while I'm still able to work a dredge.

You can always monsoon dredge in Az. I tried it last summer and it beats dry washing plus I ran more material and therefore ended up with more gold.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Desertpilot said:

You can always monsoon dredge in Az. I tried it last summer and it beats dry washing plus I ran more material and therefore ended up with more gold.

I'd like to hear about this monsoon dredging.  The areas I go to I have only seen water running once, but I've seen a lot of material moved after an overnight rain.  Seems to me they would be fast, and furious.  Like you'd have to have the dredge on site prior to the rains or by the time it was up there, the creek would be dry.  I've seen the Agua Fria running once and took my sluice to a club claim, but the river was running no more than the brook and I diverted the entire flow into the sluice.  I've also seen the all out floods with the creeks flowing at full flow, but have never been lucky enough to catch something slow enough to drive down.

Sounds like it could be dangerous

Jerry's Azusa shop with all of its signage remained empty for a few years after he closed it.  Finally, an urban renewal project revitalized the whole block and now it is long gone.  I dredged in the East Fork with a small 2.5" unit in the early 2000s.  I first met Jerry in Sacramento when we both appeared and spoke at the first Water Board public hearing regarding remobilized mercury and suction dredging around 2004.  He was a fierce advocate for the small scale miner not only in regard to dredging, but also regarding dry washing.

• Like 1

Greetings Martin, thank you for the info.
I had a feeling You would be in the know about Azusa Gold shop.
Hapy Huntn.

I have yet to find more then fly poop up there . Im 45 minutes away

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, H-2 Charlie said:

I have yet to find more then fly poop up there . Im 45 minutes away

Go up Shoemaker Canyon Rd.....and detect gullies feeding the East Fork, one in particular we named "Nugget Gulch" for obvious reasons....10 ounces came out of this gulch not far below the road. The thing to do is hike down to the small falls  which is just past the halfway mark of the gully and work your way up..digging down to bedrock...pretty shallow at some spots, deeper in others...gold nuggets in cracks in bedrock. Once found 6 nice pickers in one small crack..with my Gold Master 2. Not to many people go up the road..this was in the early 90's. Camp Williams is on the other side of the river ...Follows Camp is a ghost town these days....only  memories left . Joe Davison once owned the Camp, he welcomed all including us prosepctors  and local misfits who  lived in the nearby mobile park . Best way to start the morning was having breakfast and coffee at the Follows Camp restaurant before hitting the river and hills. These days, another generation of prosepctors still hike up the canyon searching for gold..among them one Kevin Brown has found some amazing pieces ....sniping the river and working old tertiary deposits.  Bernie McGrath known to some as the unofficial mayor of Azusa Canyon passed away a few years ago...Some may remember him sniping and dredging the river ...great story teller....R.I.P. Bernie.

Bermie.jpg

Edited by Relichunter2016
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, Relichunter2016 said:

Go up Shoemaker Canyon Rd.....and detect gullies feeding the East Fork, one in particular we named "Nugget Gulch" for obvious reasons....10 ounces came out of this gulch not far below the road. The thing to do is hike down to the small falls  which is just past the halfway mark of the gully and work your way up..digging down to bedrock...pretty shallow at some spots, deeper in others...gold nuggets in cracks in bedrock. Once found 6 nice pickers in one small crack..with my Gold Master 2. Not to many people go up the road..this was in the early 90's. Camp Williams is on the other side of the river ...Follows Camp is a ghost town these days....only  memories left . Joe Davison once owned the Camp, he welcomed all including us prosepctors  and local misfits who  lived in the nearby mobile park . Best way to start the morning was having breakfast and coffee at the Follows Camp restaurant before hitting the river and hills. These days, another generation of prosepctors still hike up the canyon searching for gold..among them one Kevin Brown has found some amazing pieces ....sniping the river and working old tertiary deposits.  Bernie McGrath known to some as the unofficial mayor of Azusa Canyon passed away a few years ago...Some may remember him sniping and dredging the river ...great story teller....R.I.P. Bernie.

Bermie.jpg

I'm sadden to hear this, I know we can't be here forever but Bernie seemed like he would be here forever, I known his spirit is still wondering that river! RIP Bernie

1 hour ago, Relichunter2016 said:

Bermie.jpg

28 minutes ago, Au Seeker said:

I'm sadden to hear this, I know we can't be here forever but Bernie seemed like he would be here forever, I known his spirit is still wondering that river! RIP Bernie

Is this article wrong?

It says that Bernie passed away this year on January 14th at 84.

https://www.sgvtribune.com/2018/01/23/bernie-mcgrath-mayor-of-the-east-fork-of-the-san-gabriel-river-in-azusa-dies-at-84/

Posted (edited)

No its correct, just my mind ...going Koo Koo ...:idunno: yes he passed on this year.....Bernie was always helpful to new folks getting into prospecting...he loved the mountains...and safer environment  than his early days as a member of a  notorious Florida motorcycle  club..

Edited by Relichunter2016