Nugget Shooter Forums

My name's Saul. I'm a grouchy old geezer, twice widowed, once divorced, who was raised in Prescott back when there weren't many of my folks in Arizona (I'm a Jew). I had an uncle and two great uncles who were prospectors in Nevada and Arizona, and they took turns using me as a rock-moving indentured servant, starting when I was about 6. (I never have figured out how they decided who got me on a particular weekend or a given summer – maybe I was the winnings in a series of low-stakes poker games, but regardless, I enjoyed tramping about in the desert, finding gold and tarantulas, and listening to the uncles, and my grandfather, at the campfires telling family history from the pre-America stages of our long exile). Later, I spent 20 years in Alaska, where I was an editor at a now-defunct Anchorage daily paper and later at a chain of village newspapers owned by one of the Native corporations.  Up North, I also ran several of my own businesses while raising my kids as a single dad. I've owned several claims over the years – one in California that I gave to a younger brother as a wedding gift, and a couple below Hatcher Pass and another near Talkeetna  in Alaska. Since 2002 I've lived in Idaho, New York and currently Missouri. These last two states, I've really missed the gold, so I'm preparing to move back to my childhood haunts around Prescott later this year. While plotting to make my next fortune I came across this forum. So here I am. By this time next year I'll be posting photos of my finds, unless I've gone so broke that I've pawned the computer. One never knows.

• Like 10

Welcome   Seem you bring a broad background with you.  Enjoy

Welcome Saul, looking forward to your exploits!!

4 hours ago, pondmn said:

Welcome   Seem you bring a broad background with you.  Enjoy

Thanks for the kind welcome.  I'm enjoying reading others' stories here, and learning.  Also, I'm hoping that the rest of you haven't stripped AZ bare by the time I resettle there.

27 minutes ago, Au Seeker said:

Welcome Saul, looking forward to your exploits!!

Thank you.  If I can remember how to exploit a dwt a day, I'll be content. 

Welcome Saul ... but I must warn you ... the gold is all gone! :200::old::4chsmu1:

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Welcome! I wondered about your name, first time seeing it here in America. I have a pretty cousin named Linda who grew up in New York. She went on a tour to Israel once, met an orthodox Jewish guy while on the trip and married him. Since then Linda has even served in the Israeli army.

Edited by Red_desert

Saul, what do you think of this carving, doesn't it look like an Egyptian Sa symbol? It is in AZ at Needles Cayon vicinity, Superstition Mts.

SuperstionMts1-B-SaSymbol.jpg

SuperstionMts1-SaSymbol.jpg

Posted (edited)

Here is what an Egyptian Sa symbol looks like, this one is either made from gold or electrum and from Egypt. The rock carving above seems to be a reverse or mirror image of the true Sa symbol.

sa-symbol.jpg

Edited by Red_desert

Hello Saul,.. and Welcome....  If you don't mind me asking, ...just how old are you, and what years where you raised in Prescott???  I being not only an Arizona native, but also a Prescott Arizona native am curious as to weather our paths have crossed before in the past.  I was born in Prescott in 1947, and was one who was included in the graduating class from the old Prescott High school in 1966.  The new one was built across town.  You may find that getting to the gold around here is "much-more-harder" than you may have remember, due to much more growth (population), and a lot more private property restricting access.  Gary   

2 hours ago, Red_desert said:

doesn't it look like an Egyptian Sa symbol? It is in AZ at Needles Cayon vicinity, Superstition Mts.

You sir, are living in never never land :rolleyes:

It's on the mountain side, there is a pentagon shape above top right.

SuperstionMts1A0Side.jpg

Posted (edited)

Red Dessert--I see neither an Egyptian Symbol nor a Pentagon.  I do know that  many, thousands upon thousands of dollars wasted looking for an obscure, non-existent treasure in the area and about a Dozen Lives have been lost.

Edited by chrisski

Posted (edited)

How about entrance? This is in the same area. I wasn't suggesting that anyone search for it. But I can do better than this, not give out the location ever. Besides, it's been found a couple times already, has brought bad luck to the finders.

entrance1.jpg

entrance2.jpg

entrance3.jpg

Edited by Red_desert

Don't want to hijack a guys welcome thread on this.  30,000 recorded abandoned mines in AZ, and the number is probably many times that.  I think the photo could be a hole or could be a shadow.  Most of the time I look go out and look at these, they are of natural occurrence, mostly shadows where a lighter colored rock has collapsed revealing a darker layer, but other times they're diggings.  Most of the ones I see are 75 or more years old back when one could make money on a small time copper operation.  Usually I find green ore on the tailings.

I've thought of treasure hunting before.  More for the adventure and getting myself away from the computer.

On 3/29/2018 at 3:01 PM, Mike Furness said:

Welcome Saul ... but I must warn you ... the gold is all gone! :200::old::4chsmu1:

Drat.  I guess I'll just stay out here in the East.

On 3/31/2018 at 8:50 PM, Red_desert said:

Saul, what do you think of this carving, doesn't it look like an Egyptian Sa symbol? It is in AZ at Needles Cayon vicinity, Superstition Mts.

Oh boy, I dunno.  My ancient Egyptian is a bit rusty.  It's been exactly 3330 years and two days since we left Egypt (as a matter of fact, we're celebrating Pesach right now, which is why I didn't answer earlier), and I didn't inherit any secret decoder rings from back then.  If you need help reading any Hebrew, Aramaic or Yiddish inscriptions you come across in the desert, I'm your guy.  But not Egyptian.  I have to ask, are you thinking that some miner in the 1800s chiselled an Egyptian symbol in Arizona, or are you thinking that the Egyptians got here first?  There's actually a major religion in the  Western U.S. that believes we were here first, that the Native Americans were Jews.  Trust me, it ain't so. 

If that symbol marks a mine, why not get some samples assayed?  If it's valuable, develop it, or find someone with resources to do so.  Bad luck is something that we manufacture for ourselves, and has nothing to do with a curse attached to a physical object or place.  I wish you well.

• Like 3

On 3/31/2018 at 9:18 PM, LowPoint said:

Hello Saul,.. and Welcome....  If you don't mind me asking, ...just how old are you, and what years where you raised in Prescott???  I being not only an Arizona native, but also a Prescott Arizona native am curious as to weather our paths have crossed before in the past.  I was born in Prescott in 1947, and was one who was included in the graduating class from the old Prescott High school in 1966.  The new one was built across town.  You may find that getting to the gold around here is "much-more-harder" than you may have remember, due to much more growth (population), and a lot more private property restricting access.  Gary   

I remember when the high school moved to the new site, and the old campus was turned into a junior high, but I didn't attend high school at either campus.  I was shuttled back and forth to another state for my education, such as it is.  Yes, I realize things have changed there.  I had family near Prescott until last year, and have been back a number of times over the years.  Some of that ground around town, I hated to see developed.  It makes me glad that there'[s so much undevelopable public land.

Posted (edited)
On 3/31/2018 at 8:17 PM, Red_desert said:

Welcome! I wondered about your name, first time seeing it here in America. I have a pretty cousin named Linda who grew up in New York. She went on a tour to Israel once, met an orthodox Jewish guy while on the trip and married him. Since then Linda has even served in the Israeli army.

I've known a few people from Indiana.  Small world.  Probably if you drove all the way to Chicago, you'd run into a few Sauls.  The name's more common the farther you get from Indiana.  There have been many hundreds of famous men in the U.S. with the name -- Pulitzer prize winners, medical researchers, prominent physicists, judges, sci-fi authors, inventors.  There were Sauls in the U.S. before there was a U.S.  Some have even served in the U.S. armed forces.

(Edited for typo)

Edited by Saul R W

Welcome Saul. All the gold is in NYS now.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hmmmmmm 1

6 hours ago, Cooper said:

Welcome Saul. All the gold is in NYS now.

And my third spouse has it all. 

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)
On 4/2/2018 at 2:00 AM, Saul R W said:

Oh boy, I dunno.  My ancient Egyptian is a bit rusty.  It's been exactly 3330 years and two days since we left Egypt (as a matter of fact, we're celebrating Pesach right now, which is why I didn't answer earlier), and I didn't inherit any secret decoder rings from back then.  If you need help reading any Hebrew, Aramaic or Yiddish inscriptions you come across in the desert, I'm your guy.  But not Egyptian.  I have to ask, are you thinking that some miner in the 1800s chiselled an Egyptian symbol in Arizona, or are you thinking that the Egyptians got here first?  There's actually a major religion in the  Western U.S. that believes we were here first, that the Native Americans were Jews.  Trust me, it ain't so. 

If that symbol marks a mine, why not get some samples assayed?  If it's valuable, develop it, or find someone with resources to do so.  Bad luck is something that we manufacture for ourselves, and has nothing to do with a curse attached to a physical object or place.  I wish you well.

Actually, I have been doing some research on the most ancient forms of the Hebrew alphabet, a little on the others closely related. Yes, I've already deciphered some of the Native American pictographs, as being of Mideast origin. I do have a limited knowledge of Torah type of Hebrew but not studied the recent modern Hebrew spoken in Israel today.

It is the Cherokee tribe which believes they originated from the Middle East. Here is a link you might look at, it is easier to read than on the more complicated technical DNA websites.

http://torah-voice.org/DNA links Cherokee to Northern Israel and coast.htm

Cherokee DNA finds matches in Northern Israel,

and along Eastern Mediterranean coastal regions

LAWRENCEBURG, TN. – Genetic research directed by the Equahiyi-Wasi (Abraham-Moses Project) of the Central Band of Cherokee has discovered links with peoples of the Eastern Mediterranean including Northern Israel and the coastal region.

"The Cherokee comprise one or more of the Northern Tribes of Israel, collectively called, 'the House of Israel' before their exile more than 2,730 years ago," said Principal Chief Joe "Sitting Owl" White of the Central Band of Cherokee, who have a museum and Council House in the Town Square. 

Seafaring tribes who occupied the coastal region of ancient Israel included Dan, Asher and Zebulun as well as the ancient Phoenicians and P'lishtim, the name by which Yasser Arafat called the Palestinian people.  Most of northern Israel was occupied in biblical times by the two families comprising the House of Joseph:  Ephraim and M'nashe with part of Benjamin.  Other archaeological finds and spiritual practices of the Cherokee and DNA lines point to
Cherokee influence and assimilation from a priestly sect of Hebrews known as Cohein among the tribe of Levi.

The Equahiyi-Wasi, is a society of 13 Cherokee, mixed blood, and Jewish professionals, who are researching archaeological, cultural, historical, linguistic, spiritual and DNA links of the Cherokee and other Native tribes.  This includes the landmark findings by Dr. Donald “Panther” Yates, principal investigator at DNA Consultants, a genetic testing company in Phoenix, and one of the 13.  Other articles published in the current edition of Ancient American magazine update the research of the Scotsman James Adair who noted 23 similarities among the Cherokee spiritual beliefs and practices and Hebrew priests in his 1775, London, “History of the American Indians.”  The Cherokee observance of the New Moon, gleaned from the unpublished but copyrighted manuscripts of John Howard Payne describes a ceremony parallel to the Hebrew observance.  Payne, who befriended the principal chief of the Cherokee before the Removal, also describes the layout and order of the Cherokee Council House in terms of Hebrew kabbala.

“We are investigating whether the Cherokee People may also have been a refuge for some Knights Templar families who fled from France to other parts of Europe and eventually the Americas.  This could explain some of these esoteric influences,” the chief said.

Yates’ research debunks long-held “sacred cows” of the archaeological community and raises questions about traditional theories that Native populations arrived across Siberian and Bering Strait land passages. “The DNA shows we came here by boats,” the chief explained.  “Most Cherokee clans crossed the Atlantic but other tribes apparently Island-hopped the Pacific or migrated from the south country.  DNA is serving as markers along a highway so we can eventually identify our origins and stops along the way.”

Edited by Red_desert

On 4/1/2018 at 9:26 PM, chrisski said:

Don't want to hijack a guys welcome thread on this.  30,000 recorded abandoned mines in AZ, and the number is probably many times that.  I think the photo could be a hole or could be a shadow.  Most of the time I look go out and look at these, they are of natural occurrence, mostly shadows where a lighter colored rock has collapsed revealing a darker layer, but other times they're diggings.  Most of the ones I see are 75 or more years old back when one could make money on a small time copper operation.  Usually I find green ore on the tailings.

I've thought of treasure hunting before.  More for the adventure and getting myself away from the computer.

Well, I know it's far too risky (and expensive) of a venture for me...quite a few have already wasted their money, not being successful at it.

• Like 1

Red-desert, I have a passing familiarity with the Equahiyi-Wasi project.  There have been many, many theories put forward regarding various peoples having genetic ties to Am Yisrael.  You're probably aware that common Jewish belief states that there never was a complete dispersion of the "lost" tribes, but that there was a sizeable minority who escaped the dispersion and were absorbed by the southern kingdom; and that the majority who were actually removed by the Assyrians didn't retain any semblance of their heritage, but were so completely genetically and culturally absorbed by the Assyrians (and by other nations) that today there is no distinct remnant.  This is my take.  I could be wrong, but I simply don't believe there's evidence to support Equahiyi-Wasi's suppositions, and I think that the project's members are attempting to fabricate Jewish connections ex nihilo.  There are other groups who make similar claims to Judaism.  The difference between Jews and the groups who crop up from time to time claiming to be new Jews, or lost Jews, or neo Jews, or crypto-Jews, is that we have maintained our religion, language, and culture through thousands of years of attempts to end our very existence (in other words, there's never been any question of who we are), while the others simply come up with the idea that being Jewish sounds like a good idea, and then they begin looking for facts to support their beliefs.  It's far better to determine the facts first, and then build your beliefs around them -- when Adair formulated his backasswards theory, he started with the then-popular and factless belief of some Europeans that American Indians were the so-called Lost Tribes, and then he began  looking for similarities between Jews and Indians.  If I were a member of another minority, I think I'd want to focus my attention on ensuring that my minority's unique culture is strengthened, rather than wasting my time trying to adopt the culture of another minority.  That said, if the project helps to make people happier and wholer, then you should tell your naysayers to take a hike.  You certainly aren't hurting anyone else with your beliefs.

As for linguistic ties, it's likely that all nations share a common ancestral language (standard Euro-centric belief holds up proto-Indo-European, or a predecessor of PIE).  A small subgroup of paleo-linguistics scholars (including several fellows who are exceptionally brilliant in the field) propose that the ancestral tongue was a form of proto-Hebrew rather than PIE  There's a lot of evidence to support this idea, but it's not popular.  If you use the right tools, you can see obvious ties to early Hebrew in most languages, including those of American Natives, but this discussion could quickly grow lengthy, and really isn't fit for this forum.

I sometimes think that next time I join a forum, I should identify myself as Polish or Nigerian or black Irish, if for no other reason than to reduce keyboard wear.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

I though there seemed to be obvious ties between the most ancient Hebrew alphabet forms and the American Indian. The more ancient you get on the Hebrew, the closer of a match you get.

3 hours ago, Red_desert said:

I though there seemed to be obvious ties between the most ancient Hebrew alphabet forms and the American Indian. The more ancient you get on the Hebrew, the closer of a match you get.

I'm unaware of any alphabet-based Native American written language prior to Sequoyah circa 1810.  

• Like 1