Nugget Shooter Forums
Jeffrocks

Petrified wood from NE FL

I've been collecting for a year or so now. Well re starting my collection. I've found these beautiful pieces. Any thoughts on them?

IMG_20180328_121245.jpg

1522254282931-1861641113.jpg

IMG_20180328_121313.jpg

IMG_20180328_121302.jpg

IMG_20180328_121322.jpg

IMG_20180328_121358.jpg

• Like 2

Welcome   you might want to post these items in the Rock, mineral and fossil section in the future.    I like to see good specimens.  Do you think any of these are fossils.  The bottom picture looks a lot like dino bone.  Keep on posting!

• Like 2

I'm no expert but some of those pics resemble petrified bone?! 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Yes, some look like they might be petrified bone. I've not heard of petrified wood from FL but there are bones from time to time of animals from the Pleistocene, etc. I'm not saying it is impossible that it is wood maybe some might resemble palm wood too, but I would think bones is as likely if not more so.

Edited by bigrex
  • Like 2

Hi Bigrex,

I don't know much about Florida off-hand but seems to me they would have areas for finding petrified wood.? I once fished a lake in Texas that was roughly 120 miles inland from the Gulf of Mexico that suprisingly abounded with smaller pieces of petrified wood. Most was regular type petrified wood with some pieces being opalized (not precious) and not quite as often you would find petrified palm-wood. After doing some research back home I found out that area was the Gulf of Mexico shoreline back during the Oligocene Epoch Era (40-25 million years ago)! How things change thru time :old: Best of luck to you and HH!

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Randall said:

Hi Bigrex,

I don't know much about Florida off-hand but seems to me they would have areas for finding petrified wood.? I once fished a lake in Texas that was roughly 120 miles inland from the Gulf of Mexico that suprisingly abounded with smaller pieces of petrified wood. Most was regular type petrified wood with some pieces being opalized (not precious) and not quite as often you would find petrified palm-wood. After doing some research back home I found out that area was the Gulf of Mexico shoreline back during the Oligocene Epoch Era (40-25 million years ago)! How things change thru time :old: Best of luck to you and HH!

I was raised in Central FL. Florida is pretty notorious for not having any rocks at all except maybe sand, clay, phosphate and some agatized corals and fossils preserved in swamps. That's pretty much it.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, bigrex said:

I was raised in Central FL. Florida is pretty notorious for not having any rocks at all except maybe sand, clay, phosphate and some agatized corals and fossils preserved in swamps. That's pretty much it.

I can pretty attest to the same, not from Florida, I'was born and raised in Georgia and been in South Carolina the last 44 years but I have many relatives that live in Florida and been down there many, many times, the only rocks I have seen other than there maybe some in NW/planhandle of Florida have been imported. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 3/31/2018 at 3:45 AM, bigrex said:
On 3/31/2018 at 2:27 PM, Randall said:

Hi Bigrex,

A lot of the finds are questionable, but I know for certain that some of it is wood( there are tree rings in some), it is clear that the trees thrived back then. Some of the rings are very thick, indicating great growth years and little cold to stunt growth. I found a 4.2  Meg right next to the wood.literally in the same hole. It's a nice tributary that cuts through 10-12 ft of sediment layers( limestone and clay). I find an abundance of Coquina, manta Ray teeth and tons of tiny teeth from snaggletooth sharks, to great whites, tigers, to bulls, and even the great Mako 

Edited by Jeffrocks
  • Like 2

Are you on coastal Florida or approaching the Northern border?  I lived in NW Florida, the panhandle, and going towards the Alabama border, the geography changed.  Wonder if some of those finds were carried down the rivers or perhaps along some of the Indian trade routes.    Great Grandparents owned a farm in Florida along the western coast in central Florida, and their farm had some rocks in it that was of value to lease to the gravel companies.

Doug up a couple of old shells on my claim in AZ, and at first I thought they were semi-fossilized, but I now think they were old shells from the trade routes.  Previous owner had found some arrowheads.

• Like 2

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 11:14 AM, bigrex said:

Yes I have heard that Florida is quite an area for finding fossils :>) I read some time back that the white sand beaches that Florida is known for on the Gulf of Mexico side were deposited by  the erosion of the Appalachian Mountains. Best of luck to ya'll on future hunts...whatever your treasure may be! 

16 hours ago, chrisski said:

Are you on coastal Florida or approaching the Northern border?  I lived in NW Florida, the panhandle, and going towards the Alabama border, the geography changed.  Wonder if some of those finds were carried down the rivers or perhaps along some of the Indian trade routes.    Great Grandparents owned a farm in Florida along the western coast in central Florida, and their farm had some rocks in it that was of value to lease to the gravel companies.

Doug up a couple of old shells on my claim in AZ, and at first I thought they were semi-fossilized, but I now think they were old shells from the trade routes.  Previous owner had found some arrowheads.

• Like 1