Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bc5391

Equinox 800

I told Bill I would share my experiences with the Equinox I picked up a couple of weeks ago. My first search was in town at a field they and an event 2 months ago. There I found quite a bit of trash, (Pull tabs, copper tube, foil,lead, all the normal stuff) But I was trying to get to know the machine before traveling 2 hours to search for Gold.

Saturday was my first trip to an area I have been to many times and used many detectors. Traveling in the wash of course I found the normal stuff, nails and other iron, which I found gives off a negative number, lead was at an 11. I found a positive number at 1 and dug it up to find a gum wrapper. (this machine will not fool me again) After walking about an hour I got a signal that almost blew my headphones off, a solid 17, so I dug. at 6inches I moved the equinox over the hole again, the target was still there, 12 inches- still there- 24 inches- still there. At 36 inches I heard a clang as my pick hit the target. (all I had was a small pick and plastic spoon.) as I cleared out the hole I had found a water pipe that was used for hydraulic mining in the 1800's. Ticked off I filled in my hole. 100 yards later I found a hole (Picture) where someone else had found a piece of pipe also.

An hour or so later after hearing several 1's but not digging, I decided to head back. I looked up the side of the hill to find a cattle trail, and what the heck, I decided to follow it. All I could say is wow, the area opened up to what looks like Virgin ground, cobble every where, but no metal detector holes, no drywashing piles, just cow pies and old cans.By now the sky was getting dark, the wind was blowing 30-40 mph, and I could not hear squat on the headphones, but the detector showed a 1, so I dug. (.2g) now I am pissed that I did not dig the other targets, Had to leave it was a long way back to the SxS. Started raining when I got there.

I will return.

Bob

IMG_20180324_090235.jpg

IMG_20180324_102642.jpg

IMG_20180324_102645.jpg

IMG_20180324_102649.jpg

IMG_20180325_182923.jpg

• Like 7
  • well done 1

Well done, and great pictures , except the gold one.......Were you in California ?

Nice nugget !!

Don't feel too bad about not digging those '1's.  Aluminum foil also is a '1'.

However, you should consider going back and finding them again, just in case.  :brows:

Good Luck !!

Luke

• Like 1

Nice Bob and I got a real eye opener from Luke when his EQ 800 could hear a super tiny gold flake with the 11 inch round coil on it. When the 6 inch coil is available it should really hear small gold.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Thanks Bill, I do want a 6" when they are available, lots of brush and tall grass to move around.

Adam, it is Arizona.

I should also not I've been to this area many time with several detectors, The Garrett ATX, never found the pipe, and the Noka was useless with all the hot rocks.

Edited by bc5391

The 800 seems to be working out well. A Lot of good reviews so far.

• Like 1

I also got an 800 from Bill and although I have not tried it out in the goldfields yet, I have spent about 25 hours using it on a beach near me and a park.

On the beach it is deadly, period. I used it in mostly dry sand but even in wet sand and with the coil submerged, it sounds off clearly.

The time spent in the park has also been surprisingly productive.

I started out using the presets and gradually changed the settings to ways that suit my style and my ear. The 800 has a tonal language all it's own and it is important to pay attention to how it works because it has some "tells" that must be learned first-hand. At this stage I can say with certainty that I know the sound of clad pennies and unless there are other sounds coming in, prefer not to dig them and don't have to when I rely on the clarity of the signals the 800 gives. It discriminates surprisingly well and by that I mean there have been a good number of times I have heard a target under a ferrous sound.

The 800 has a great many ways you can customize it to your way of hunting and to your auditory and visual preferences. I have found several hundred coins, a couple of (not valuable) rings and a bunch other assorted odds and ends. Although I am primarily a P.I. user (GPZ 7000 and GPX 5000), my overall impression is that for an experienced detectorist or a beginner this is the best machine I have ever used - but you must read the manual and watch some of the very generous videos that have been made by experienced users, they will put you ahead of your normal learning curve. I have included a link to one of the best videos I have seen and the one I used to set up my Park 1 settings in case you are interested.

Thank you again Bill for your help and your clarity with how the orders were going.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • wow 1

I am on the list and waiting eagerly......Many of us OTH (Over the Hill Guys) have shoulder and backs that are worn out or beat up by age and doing things we should not have done.  The new lighter detectors  will keep us detecting longer.  I sold my 5000 because of weight issues and could not detect long periods of time.  I just sold my DFX and bigfoot coil as it also had weight issues.  I am glad to see new lighter detectors come on the market so I can spend more hours in the field detecting.  I decided on the 800 because it had good reports for coin, beach and gold detecting........

• Like 2

awesome find, I have yet to get mine out in the gold fields would you care to share what settings you were running, would much appreciate any knowledge you could share

the only factory setting I changed was sensitivity , I turned it up to 14, and took off auto ground balance. I did let the auto mode find the GB, and then, turned off the auto part.

I ground balancing the machine every so often if the hum started to get erratic . Reading the  manual 4 or 5 times now I will change the speed from the factory 4 to perhaps a 2 on the next trip.(gold 2 mode) I walk slow.

22 hours ago, pondmn said:

I am on the list and waiting eagerly......Many of us OTH (Over the Hill Guys) have shoulder and backs that are worn out or beat up by age and doing things we should not have done.  The new lighter detectors  will keep us detecting longer.  I sold my 5000 because of weight issues and could not detect long periods of time.  I just sold my DFX and bigfoot coil as it also had weight issues.  I am glad to see new lighter detectors come on the market so I can spend more hours in the field detecting.  I decided on the 800 because it had good reports for coin, beach and gold detecting........

Yours will ship tomorrow as long as UPS makes it here on time today.... 

Thanks Bill   Thought it might be a while longer.   Did not know how low I was on the list.