Nugget Shooter Forums
JOHNM

quads and skunks

don't have a 4 wheel drive either so i have to walk in also. didn't find a topo map i can overlay on google earth pro.  i drove to a spot and i ended up on a 400' foot hill with 3 sides extremely steep.  had to drive back to get into the wash safely. RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCHdefault_mad0228%5B1%5D.gif  also need a quad and maybe i can leave pepe le pue behind. default_idunno.gif  never did get where i wanted to go and a quad wouldn't have gotten me there because of waterfalls. but i did see this ?001 - Copy (2).JPGi

• Like 4

That machinery does not look that old to me.

Google Maps has a function where you hold down control and drag the mouse to get a 3D view.  Most computers allow this, but there's certain browser upgrades or minimum system requirements.  If your computer can do it, the 3D/2D button will appear on the right above the compass. After entering an area like that and getting home, I view the area in Google maps and get an idea of the steep areas.

I've also downloaded a free AZ topo map that I put on my Garmin.  I still like to download the older USGS maps of the USGS.gov map store.  The 1:24 give enough detail and also have old workings.  Off the USGS maps, I've went to marked tunnels and found they only dug 6' into the wall, and some marked prospects that are only a couple of buckets from an excavator.

Too much research can keep you out of a going to enough areas.

• Like 1

That looks like the crankshaft out of an old hit n miss motor so if that was the case then somebody was serious about their stay !

• Like 3

thanks for the info chrisski. iv'e got an older computer but i can look  at google pro for  the  3D view . will look deeper in USGS maps.  i agree the wheel and axle  does not have much rust.    

35 minutes ago, devilishjim said:

That looks like the crankshaft out of an old hit n miss motor so if that was the case then somebody was serious about their stay !

What do you think this did?  Power a stamp mill.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, devilishjim said:

the other wheel was upstream a little bit.  both items were adjacent to the tall hill i was on top of.  the wheels are approx. 4" thick and 5' tall. maybe they were setting up on top of the hill and it got away from them and rolled down to the stream bed? could not see the flow of water moving something that heavy?

Nice looking bedrock.  I hit my brakes for bedrock. 

• Haha 2
  • Hmmmmmm 1

Jim,

After doing a little research, I see that that is a hit and miss motor.  Likely dates the workings from the late 1800s to the early 1900s.  Likely another wheel lying around to balance the one still attached.

I also think its a good sign that something like that is still in the wash.  That would have been worth something at one time for scrap, so that may tell me that over the decades that has been there, no one thought it worthwhile to pull out of the wash and sell for scrap.

Might make for some colorful "yard art" if one was so inclined to pack it out of there. Looks to me a bit on the heavy side if the wheel is 5 feet in diameter and 4" thick. Too much for my old bones.  :old:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chrisski said:

Jim,

After doing a little research, I see that that is a hit and miss motor.  Likely dates the workings from the late 1800s to the early 1900s.  Likely another wheel lying around to balance the one still attached.

I also think its a good sign that something like that is still in the wash.  That would have been worth something at one time for scrap, so that may tell me that over the decades that has been there, no one thought it worthwhile to pull out of the wash and sell for scrap.

Yes the other wheel is indeed around there.

On 3/23/2018 at 4:10 PM, JOHNM said:

the other wheel was upstream a little bit.  both items were adjacent to the tall hill i was on top of.  the wheels are approx. 4" thick and 5' tall. maybe they were setting up on top of the hill and it got away from them and rolled down to the stream bed? could not see the flow of water moving something that heavy?

Pretty cool find  :yesss:

If you can remember where you found it on Google earth, scan the area for old roads. There is probably a mine around there they were using it in.

Thanks for the pics :)
Tom H.

• Like 3

Looks like an old H.A.M  jaw crusher crank shaft and flywheel to me. AzNuggetBob

• Like 1

Cool find.  With a different shaft, that wheel would make a wonderful fly for a blacksmith's trip hammer. 

• Hmmmmmm 1

On 3/23/2018 at 4:10 PM, JOHNM said:

That would probably be an 8 HP somebody might not have been able to start it and shoved it over the edge, Look for the rest of it and even just the wheels may be of value. There is a hit n miss club on facebook and yes my guess is it was probably running a stamp mill. Those were old very powerful motors once they got spinning nothing would stop them.

On 3/24/2018 at 2:21 PM, chrisski said:

Jim,

Old hit n miss motors are bringing big money these days...running or not

On 3/23/2018 at 2:39 PM, JOHNM said:

don't have a 4 wheel drive either so i have to walk in also. didn't find a topo map i can overlay on google earth pro.  i drove to a spot and i ended up on a 400' foot hill with 3 sides extremely steep.  had to drive back to get into the wash safely. RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCHdefault_mad0228%5B1%5D.gif  also need a quad and maybe i can leave pepe le pue behind. default_idunno.gif  never did get where i wanted to go and a quad wouldn't have gotten me there because of waterfalls. but i did see this ?001 - Copy (2).JPGi

And it may have been running a water pump / post this pic on hit n miss website and see if anyone is interested enough to make it worth your time to go fetch