Nugget Shooter Forums

Thinking seriously of giving this almost half ounce nugget a Hydroflouric Acid bath, I have tried to clean it, but is dirty looking as the day I got it and thinking it may look real purdy with the whits acid bleached Quartz instead of the dull yellowish color nature bestowed upon it. It is actually mostly gold with the matrix on the outer sides.... I have tried every other method and it just stays sort of ugly ducklingish :inocent:

IMG_20180318_160133369_zpsbk5gpjo5.jpg

IMG_20180318_160146870_zpsrkuafxz0.jpg

• Like 10
  • Hmmmmmm 1

Posted (edited)

I'm pretty sure HFL acid will work wonders on it. I've found many specimens that benefited from it. Just wish it wasn't so hard to obtain although I can understand why.

If you do, post pics. 

Edited by Morlock
  • Like 1

Maybe give Whink a try Bill.  It is composed of a minuscule percentage of hydrofluoric acid.  It may just do the trick if you give it several days to work its chemical magic.  Whink is available in many stores.  Good luck.

• Like 3

It has been in my ultrasonic cleaner with Green Magic as well as HCL and still hiding the gold, specific gravity says mostly gold in this specimen and I just happen to have some 55% Hydroflouric Acid in my stash :evil1:

• Like 4

Hydrofluoric is working very fast, less than an hour and already can see changes....

IMG_20180318_171900097_zpsqaz08iaq.jpg

• Like 3

There are actually 2 specimens in the soup, James has his 6 gram (?) leaf gold specimen in there too....

44 minutes ago, Bill Southern said:

It has been in my ultrasonic cleaner with Green Magic as well as HCL and still hiding the gold, specific gravity says mostly gold in this specimen and I just happen to have some 55% Hydroflouric Acid in my stash :evil1:

Bill your Green Magic Cleaner has a pH between 11 - 14. Your HCl has a pH of about 3.

Add them together and you neutralize both. You might as well just soak them in water. :idunno:

Try soaking in the Green Magic for a day or two and then throw it straight into the HCl. It probably won't remove the iron stain (I wouldn't think either one would) but it will produce some interesting smells and the thermal shock should beak some little stuff loose. If you are lucky you will get some pretty colored smoke momentarily. :yesss:

I'm sure the Hydroflouric will do the trick. It's really effective at breaking down the iron.

Or you could use Potassium Ferrocyanide and Hydrogen Peroxide (both cheap) and turn that iron stain to Prussian Blue. More attractive and very confusing to gold buyers.

Isn't chemistry fun? :D

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, clay said:

Bill your Green Magic Cleaner has a pH between 11 - 14. Your HCl has a pH of about 3.

Add them together and you neutralize both. You might as well just soak them in water. :idunno:

Try soaking in the Green Magic for a day or two and then throw it straight into the HCl. It probably won't remove the iron stain (I wouldn't think either one would) but it will produce some interesting smells and the thermal shock should beak some little stuff loose. If you are lucky you will get some pretty colored smoke momentarily. :yesss:

I'm sure the Hydroflouric will do the trick. It's really effective at breaking down the iron.

Or you could use Potassium Ferrocyanide and Hydrogen Peroxide (both cheap) and turn that iron stain to Prussian Blue. More attractive and very confusing to gold buyers.

Isn't chemistry fun? :D

I didn't use them together Clay, I am very Leary when it comes to that......

• Like 3

After 1 hour..... Safely diluted and proper safety (learned the hard way some time ago) Not sure how much more I want to do, but didn't want to let it go overnight. May let it go a bit more tomorrow....

IMG_20180318_180651904_zpsfdcxjum7.jpg

IMG_20180318_180640579_zpsfpkksr4h.jpg

• Like 10
  • well done 2

Looks like some swan feathers starting to sprout out there!! :thumbsupanim

• Like 1

I dont know Bill, but thats one sexy specimen :brows:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, adam said:

I dont know Bill, but thats one sexy specimen :brows:

Thanks Adam, looking better after getting a layer off :droolin: Think it will fall apart if I go more?

Very cool Bill. That worked fast. 

• Thanks 1

Hey Clay if I remember right are not fumes from Silver in Nitric Acid orange?

Bill, just drop that butt ugly nugger in an envelope and send it to me. I'll take care of it for you. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I dont think it will fall apart if all the gold is connected. Did you happen to check it with a multi meter?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nugget108 said:

I dont think it will fall apart if all the gold is connected. Did you happen to check it with a multi meter?

Yep, we think alike....

• Like 1

Bill,

Love that HF acid, I gots me a big bottle of 40%, yours works a little faster :).... very nice !!!

Dave

• Thanks 1

Thoroughly enjoyed this show and tell :>) Although via internet this is the first time I've ever seen the effects of using hydrofluoric acid on gold/quartz specimen. Bill that is one pretty nugget after the bath...but then again... I thought it was pretty before the bath! 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Micro Nugget said:

Maybe give Whink a try Bill.  It is composed of a minuscule percentage of hydrofluoric acid.  It may just do the trick if you give it several days to work its chemical magic.  Whink is available in many stores.  Good luck.

So does Armour Etch. But both are very, very poor substitutes for 55% HFL and simply cannot do the job. Just wish HFL acid wasn't so hard to obtain.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Morlock said:

So does Armour Etch. But both are very, very poor substitutes for 55% HFL and simply cannot do the job. Just wish HFL acid wasn't so hard to obtain.

Or contain in full strength as obtained. the only problem is with HF is unless you burn all the quartz out of it the nugget has that HF look.
AzNuggetBob

• Like 1

The 2 1/2 oz'r I sold was treated by the buyer, YEEECK!  I could not believe they did that. It looked horrible compared to the natural state.
I think yours here looks great from the photo's.

• Like 1

On the up side in my opinion you can remove the quartz and expose the true beauty of the formation of the gold as it formed in the quartz. AzNuggetBob

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, AzNuggetBob said:

Or contain in full strength as obtained. the only problem is with HF is unless you burn all the quartz out of it the nugget has that HF look.
AzNuggetBob

Personally I don't mind that HF look and Bill's specimen is a perfect example. I think most people would prefer the latter to the former.

For those of you who don't have access to HFL, you can dissolve quartz with KOH or NAOH. Pottasium hydroxide or sodium hydroxide. 

I'm impatient so this would not work for me since it takes a long time.

The other option is to make your own HFL but even those ingredients are hard to obtain.

the math for KOH etching. This source (https://cleanroom.byu.edu/KOH) shows etching rates of 1-2 microns microns/hour in hot, 20% KOH. This would result in noticeable dissolution over months.

My math is taking their 20% KOH at 90°C:

(1500 nm/hour)(24 hour/day)(30 day/month)(1nm/1E7cm)=0.072 cm/month. Not a lot, but its something.

Bill it looks like you've come close to the tipping point where you either quit and be happy, or hit it for an extended soak in the HFL...Taking your chances on having an incredible mostly gold specimen or a bunch of nice gold bits ... I've done it both ways and have destroyed a few nice ones ... You pays yer $ and takes yer chances!! Cheers, Unc