Nugget Shooter Forums
chrisski

Prospecting Bureau of Reclamation Land

How if any does Prospecting Bureau of Reclamation Land differ from NFS or BLM land?  Can you still stake a claim?  Honestly don't know.  To me its federal land non-military and barring large scale surface disturbance should be fine, but that is common sense, which may be different from the law and regulations.

Not sure about Az, but BOR ground in Nevada is basically in the valley's and dont usually reach the mountain ranges. I do know they were open to mineral entry at one point just like BLM but here they really dont have a lot of mineral ground. A lot of geothermal plants here are on BOR ground if i remember right. Just going off of memory though haha.

Ok i just looked and all of the Geothermal plants are on BLM ground. BOR doesn't have a whole lot anymore except a big chunk around central Nv in Lahontan Valley. 

• Like 1

Try "CFR 423.29"  in order to prospect it or use a metal detector, you'll need to get a special use permit...

• Like 1

Thanks for the response.

I am asking this because of the canceled campout.  I did see it was on BOR land, but what surprised me the BOR land extended out of the Colorado River Valley and past the mountains and extended into the valley that contains Quartzite.  I thought it was weird that BOR land was that far, but perhaps they expect the Gulf of Mexico to go into Quartzite again.

Although I have not done the research yet, that range that's West of Quartz has got to have some minerals worth exploring.

I realized that I know the procedures for filing claims on BLM land and USFS land, but not the other federal agencies managed land. 

I also think that State Trust Land could be doable for a club or association of people.  Turns out on BLM land, provided the club is not filing a small miners waiver that the long term cost, long term costs are less on State Trust Land less to get a claim, but the up front costs are way more.  A lot of untapped mineral rights is locked up in State Trust Land.

It's illegal to remove any natural resources on BOR land....it's also illegal to even possess a metal detector unless you're in a vehicle on a public roadway...

• Like 1

On 3/15/2018 at 6:41 AM, chrisski said:

Thanks for the response.

I am asking this because of the canceled campout.  I did see it was on BOR land, but what surprised me the BOR land extended out of the Colorado River Valley and past the mountains and extended into the valley that contains Quartzite.  I thought it was weird that BOR land was that far, but perhaps they expect the Gulf of Mexico to go into Quartzite again.

Although I have not done the research yet, that range that's West of Quartz has got to have some minerals worth exploring.

Just be aware that the "wording" of the regulation also makes it illegal to even "search for" minerals....

I obtained a 10 year lease from the BR for lands below shasta dam for a local club and we mined like crazy for years. Till a new woman took over then adios to one and all-John

7 hours ago, Hoser John said:

I obtained a 10 year lease from the BR for lands below shasta dam for a local club and we mined like crazy for years. Till a new woman took over then adios to one and all-John

I don't doubt it....

And I don't care where you are or who owns the land.....if one of the people involved in the administrative end of the managing agency doesn't want you mining/prospecting a piece of ground, rest assured there is a law or loophole somewhere that will enable them to stop your activity....BTDT.

I'm still hesitant to seek a "permit" to do anything, because the "decision" is generally up to the local administrative chief and they can deny you for ANY reason at all....even if they're just having a bad day....:grr01:

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, middleforkminer2 said:

And I don't care where you are or who owns the land.....if one of the people involved in the administrative end of the managing agency doesn't want you mining/prospecting a piece of ground, rest assured there is a law or loophole somewhere that will enable them to stop your activity....BTDT.

Yes, but we own the land.....

Posted (edited)

.giphy.gif

Edited by Desertpilot

11 hours ago, Cooper said:

That's very reassuring....but the ONE thing I don't EVER want to do is get in a legal battle with a governmental agency.

Especially the local one at the lake...they contract with the local sheriffs  dept. for some of their law enforcement/park ranger patrols. The last thing in the world I want to do is piss off the local deputies.

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, middleforkminer2 said:

That's very reassuring....but the ONE thing I don't EVER want to do is get in a legal battle with a governmental agency.

Especially the local one at the lake...they contract with the local sheriffs  dept. for some of their law enforcement/park ranger patrols. The last thing in the world I want to do is piss off the local deputies.

I agree, what I'm trying to say in my kinda sarcastic comment, The people should have the power but, like you mention above, the power has actually been taken from the people and given to a the few who, in my opinion, abuse it.

Getting back on the thread, as long as any public land belongs to the people, as long as its not destroyed, misused (not even sure misused is in context, some would say MD'ing is misuse) by the people, should be open up to all use by the people.  Again, the people (citizens) own this this country.

Pipe dream I guess.

Edited by Cooper
Spelling
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Cooper said:

I agree, what I'm trying to say in my kinda sarcastic comment, The people should have the power but, like you mention above, the power has actually been taken from the people and given to a the few who, in my opinion, abuse it.

Getting back on the thread, as long as any public land belongs to the people, as long as its not destroyed, misused (not even sure misused is in context, some would say MD'ing is misuse) by the people, should be open up to all use by the people.

Which brings up an interesting question about allowing government agencies and departments to pass laws and regulations that are in direct conflict with legislation that was passed  by congress, as well as arbitrarily allowing or disallowing things like prospecting......

• Like 1

12 hours ago, middleforkminer2 said:

Which brings up an interesting question about allowing government agencies and departments to pass laws and regulations that are in direct conflict with legislation that was passed  by congress, as well as arbitrarily allowing or disallowing things like prospecting......

All I can say to that one is "yup", all the way down to the lower governments, towns, cities, hamlets.

FWIW, I'm probably gonna be breaking the law this summer....a couple weeks ago I found an area with water washed rock that was sitting on the side of a hill that is within some BOR land...and I seen no evidence that it had ever been mined....there were quite a few "motorhome" sized boulders along with everything in between, down to sand sized particles...as well as patches of exposed bedrock....even if I have to check it out at night, it's too tempting to pass up....

• Hmmmmmm 1