Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Unitedstatesofamerica1

Is this copper natural? If it is copper

Is it heavy? Does a detector sound off on it? Grind of an edge to see what it looks like

• Like 1

It might be copper but it's not native copper. Looks man-made.

• Like 2

It’s quite possible it’s natural pure copper, now for the “but part”. The only known natural pure copper in the US comes from Keweenaw area of the Michigan Upper Peninsula (UP). By “pure copper” I mean copper that does not require processing, you can us it right out of the ground.

When the first European explorers entered the Michigan UP mid to late 1600’s one of the first things they notice were the mining pit and some 400+ years later they still don’t know who dug the mining pits. By 1600’s these pits apparently had already been there a good number of years.

During the 1800’s westward expansion, they found the Plains Indians with copper tools and weapon the Indians had been using for generations. There was only one place these copper tools and weapons could have come from and that was Keweenaw area of the Michigan UP. For the most part I think the copper mining finally stop sometime after WWII.

Dilly Dilly

• Like 2

Oh well, there is copper here in AK

copper.JPG

IMG_1740~2.JPG

IMG_1741~1.JPG

• Like 5

On 3/13/2018 at 6:12 PM, Morlock said:

It might be copper but it's not native copper. Looks man-made.

Looks like it's been folded. Man-made imho.

• Like 2

As far as value, I thought copper nuggets had a novelty collectible value, but not much more than the copper in it?  Maybe $1 to $2 per pound....  Don't remember the price, but at one of the rock shows the specimens were fairly cheaply priced.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2018 at 5:07 PM, Gaius said:

The only known natural pure copper in the US comes from Keweenaw area of the Michigan Upper Peninsula

These are natural copper nuggets from Arizona. I recently had one tested for content and it came back 98% copper and 2% iron.

IMG_1129.JPG

• Like 4

Nice copper guys and I have a jar full somewhere that were found in a couple tributaries to Trilby wash, I also have a copper/gold specimen from the Quartzsite area that is pretty cool

I know Michigan has large copper nuggets as well.

http://www.goldrushnuggets.com/coppernuggets.html

Some of those found are called "half breeds" since they have significant amounts of silver.

https://www.minfind.com/mineral-181047.html

Note the prices on some of those copper nuggets.

• Like 1

We have a member Michigan Mark that hunts float copper in the UP area and found a slab sometime back weighing several tons, not sure hop big, but sold it to Phelps Doge I think or some other major player in copper and they cut it up and hauled it off. A search here may turn it up....

• wow 1