Nugget Shooter Forums
LukeJ

Three nuggets and a 'stone'

So I went out for a quick hunt last Sunday afternoon.  Once again, I returned to an area I'm fairly familiar with, and wanted to try a spot that had some similar features of a couple other places I've found some gold.  After hiking down to the area, I decided to take a detour and check out another couple spots with the GPX and then the SDC.  Nothing for the GPX at first, but the SDC got one and so at least the skunk was off my back.  :D

Satisfied, I decided to get back to the original plan and go over to see if I could find some gold with the GPX.  This particular hillside has red dirt and some quartz cobbles along with lots of other assorted types of rock.  I detected up and down, back and forth, couldn't even scare up a target.  Eventually I got up to the head of the gully, where three little drainages meet to become this little gully.  I got a nice faint signal, but it ended up being a little piece of iron.  So I started walking back down and was going to move on, when I noticed a collection of larger rocks, somewhat of an old rock throw pile.  I went right over and started kicking rocks aside when I got a nice distinct signal.  Not faint and not loud, but definitely there.  Three or so inches down and I'm seeing bedrock and the target is still there.... :yesss:  A little screwdriver action and into the scoop goes a nice .62g nugget.  I kicked the rest of the rocks down into the gully, but wasn't able to turn up anything else at that spot.  The sun was starting to go down, so I was detecting down the narrow gully towards the truck.  After a bit, I got an intermittent signal in the gut under some blow sand.  A healthy boot scrape and the target is still there.  Used my scoop to get down to bedrock and then pried into the decaying rock.  A little .12g dink was the 'prize'.

So now the sun has set and I'm losing light, time to get back to the truck.  I hike out, call my wife, let her know I'm okay and I'd like to stay a little longer.  She said it was okay, and I refueled for a bit and then grabbed the lantern, my headlamp, and the SDC and hiked back down to the place where I found the first SDC nug of the day.  

I was detecting my way up this narrow gully and throwing ironstones out and scraping loose gravel as I went along.  I was finding little bits of lead, so there had to be some gold eventually.  After an hour or so, I was squatting down and digging a warbley type target when I started to notice a pain in my left side....    I stood up and adjusted myself but that didn't help and it was getting worse.  The pain was building fast and so I dumped the target and dirt out of the scoop and grabbed my detector and started for the truck.  I got out of there so quickly, that I later realized I left my pick.  After a brisk ten minute walk and a steep climb, I got to the truck and had to grab the bedside to support myself as I peeled my gear off.  I didn't waste any time trying to get out of there.  Once I knew I could get a call out, I called my wife again and started dumping information on her in case I ended up passing out.  Since she's a medical professional, we were also able to narrow down the possibilities and try to set my mind at ease.  The pain I was experiencing was like nothing I had ever experienced before.  I didn't know pain like that could exist.  It even caused my hands and feet to numb up like they were asleep.  I was having difficulty talking and couldn't help but yell out every ten seconds or so.  It was probably better I was by myself, since anyone else would have been quite uncomfortable listening to me carry on like that.:barnie:

After a while I was back on the main road, but still far from any help.  I got off the phone with my wife and called another friend who lived closer.  He suggested I drive to the nearest fire station and I started the long drive on the wash board road.  After what seemed like an eternity of yelling and groaning I made it to the pavement.  Thankfully, it wasn't much longer until I staggered into the back door of the firehouse and starting trying to explain what my problem was to the paramedic.  I opted for the expensive ride to the hospital when they said they could give me an I.V. with some pain meds.  Boy, that Fentanyl works fast.  Once the feeling returned to my feet and hands, I was able to have a calm conversation with the paramedic on the way to the hospital.

That was my first ambulance ride, and first trip to a hospital.  I had a first cat-scan, and here's my first and hopefully my last, kidney stone.

If you've ever experienced what I just described, then you know.  If you haven't,  hopefully you'll never have to.  I'm going to be drinking more water, whether I feel thirsty or not.

Luke

20180308_155041.jpg

• Like 10
  • well done 2

Well Heck! Least you got some gold :)

After talking with you, I told Dad about it....halfway through...he said...I know whats wrong. What? Kidney stone!. Dad should have been a Doc. :)Well, plus, hes had a few :idunno: 

Glad you made it out ok and are getting better.

Heal up and piss out :)

Tom H.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Nice Gold :head: Ouch been there done that and still doing it-My first stone took me a month and a half to pass and it was the size of a pea-I was dripping blood after that one :tisk-tisk:Your not done yet there will be more to come :th:Mike C...:200:

Edited by Mike C...
  • Sad 3

Dang Luke, sorry to hear about the spiked alien you had to pass and they do hurt. NICE GOLD though so not all bad.... Great story man.

• Thanks 1

Been there, done that. 8 hours of puking from the pain and after about 15 hours it passed. Two years ago... first and last, I hope.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mike C... said:

Nice Gold :head: Ouch been there done that and still doing it-My first stone took me a month and a half to pass and it was the size of a pea-I was dripping blood after that one :tisk-tisk:Your not done yet there will be more to come :th:Mike C...:200:

More to come?????????

• Hmmmmmm 1

17 minutes ago, Bill Southern said:

More to come?????????

I sure hope not.  They only identified one 3mm stone in the cat scan.  I have a friend who is a urologist, and he's going to take a second look at the films.  Once I have that little devil analyzed, I'm going to adjust my diet and continue to increase my H20 intake so I can hopefully prevent a second round.  :arrowheadsmiley:

• Like 2
  • well done 1

Glad you were able to drive out to help. Nice gold too.

• Thanks 1

Can't they crumble them with ultra sound now? Curious...

Yes they can Bill, but they have to be of certain size. Too big to pass.

Luke, i feel your pain lol. I've had 4 of them BUT none that big. Wow dude, thats a whopper. The first one i ever had, i swore i was going to die. Every bad thought you can imagine ran through my head. My wife and i were at my dads house and when it hit, and i could barely pick myself up off of the floor. Naturally she took me to the ER and they pretty much knew what it was right off the bat. I've been " lucky" though lol. Mine have all been the very rounded cornered ones. Look like a molecule lol. Lots of water really helps with the calcium buildup. 

• Like 4

Geez Luke, that's one heck of a day. Glad you were able to get to help. Keep your radiator flushed real well and pee them little rascals out before they can do their dirty work. Oh  yeah, congrats on the gold!!   :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Are you sure it wasnt just a stroke from finding to much gold :4chsmu1:   Hang in there dude !

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

darn, Luke...is that crystally thing in the middle the stone? Cheers, Unc

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Uncle Ron said:

darn, Luke...is that crystally thing in the middle the stone? Cheers, Unc

Yah...really...show us the STONE :) ...well if you can  :)

Tom H.

"WOW" Luke,..... Your description of what happened to you just made me run into the kitchen and down 4-very large glasses of water!!!!!!!!  I don't need no "STINK'N" kidney stone crimp'n my activity.  Sorry to hear of your pain!!!,....  although I can't relate to it, as I haven't ever experienced it for that reason.  Nice gold though,.... I presume the kidney stone is the small-spinney-object in the middle of the dime?????   That, or it's a spinney-quartz / gold thingey?????  At any rate, maybe you should invite me along to assist you in the future when you return to this spot, as it may have bad-vudu-vibes:evil1: thrusting themselves upon you to where you will need help when handling the "next-one",... will there be others??????:idunno:  Hope Not. :ROFL:   Gary    

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, TomH said:

Yah...really...show us the STONE :) ...well if you can  :)

Tom H.

It's right there in the middle of the dime.  :D

Maybe I can bring it over tomorrow and get some better pics before I send it off to the lab.  :brows:

4 hours ago, LukeJ said:

It's right there in the middle of the dime.  :D

Maybe I can bring it over tomorrow and get some better pics before I send it off to the lab.  :brows:

OUCH, heck I thought that was a quartz/gold specimen you forgot to mention finding :idunno:I have never had one and hope I never do, looking at that little sucker with all it's rough edges it's no wonder it hurt so bad, glad it's out of your system, I had a co-worker that took over a month to pass his last one :sickbyc: :th:!!

I guess kidney stones are God's way to let men know what it's like to give birth to a baby!!

Great job on the nugs!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Nice job Beepin !
As far as kicker yer azz stones go,..... yup they can ! Blood clots and all.

• Like 1

Wow Luke, I was scared for you just reading that. Glad it passed and your out of the woods now..  

Makes me think that maybe being out that far in the middle of nowhere, it should be a team hunt, at least with one other.  I hike pretty far into the State Land here in NY to Metal Detect, places without phone reception, makes me think twice now.

• Like 4

Nice finds. Thats always an issue when hunting alone, things can and do go wrong

• Like 2

The more I hear these stories the more I think my solitary hunting regimen should be changed. More than once I have been off the beaten path and taken a good fall ... I'm very stable on my feet but walking the edge of any steep area can and has given way under my feet through no fault of my own. Been lucky so far ... have never damaged a detector! ... Kinda like the beer drinker that never spills a drop no matter the severity of the fall! :old: Glad it all came out for the good Luke. Time to take another drink ... of water that is!:4chsmu1:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Hey LukeJ interesting story.   Sorry for your pain.  While reading this story, the first thing that came to mind was that a scorpion nailed you while squatting down.  They can also cause lots of pain and numbness in the sting area.  Glad you are doing better.  Also, what a nice "golden" day,

Bob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Boorx4 said:

Hey LukeJ interesting story.   Sorry for your pain.  While reading this story, the first thing that came to mind was that a scorpion nailed you while squatting down.  They can also cause lots of pain and numbness in the sting area.  Glad you are doing better.  Also, what a nice "golden" day,

Bob

Yeah, I was thinking something like that at first, but then I remembered having a similar, but lesser, pain a couple mornings earlier that week.  The pain went away after I took care of my 'morning business', had some coffee and did a little stretching.  My wife had suggested it could be kidney related, but what does she know?  :4chsmu1:

• Haha 4

Nice gold! But did you have to post your misery? I had one once. I think it came from drinking Mountain Dew!  LoL

• Like 3

Oh Luke, your story stirred a shudder of ugly remembrance.  How coincidental, mine was 3mm also.  I didn't experience the arm numbness though.  Just an overwhelmingly dull pain that came on of a sudden throughout my interior core.  I could not even think of driving and needed a cane to ease one foot ahead of the other for what seemed an eternity as I slowly shuffled my shanks toward the car.  Jill, my wife the nurse, had me pop a 200mg Motrin as she drove me to the ER.  Almost as suddenly as the pain came on it began to recede.  I passed that nasty crystal at the hospital.  Another Motrin got me back to near normal.  I don't take them often, but when I do they seem to do the trick.  For several months now I've been drinking an 8 ounce glass of water with an ounce of "sipping vinegar" in it.  It's helped me drop a few pounds and I feel a lot better -- like getting back out to nail some of those elusive yellow things.  Thanks for bringing this subject up.  It undoubtedly will help prepare those who have yet to experience a near "10" on the pain chart.

• Like 4