Nugget Shooter Forums
LukeJ

Three nuggets and a 'stone'

Nice looking nuggets Luke except for that one in the center...OUCH!

Once had a roommate years back that jumped on his motorcycle to report to duty for the day and wound up driving straight to the air base infirmary. He claimed he had never felt so much pain in his life and the culprit turned out to be a kidney stone. Here's hoping no more pass your way!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Holy cow Luke! What a bad time for something like that,  that's the way it goes with kidney stones though. My wife got her first stone when we were on vacation in Oregon the second day she woke up with excruciating pain in her lower back,  she was yelling and screaming too just to help handle it. She says it was worse than child birth passing that thing. She had three in six month,  Calcium oxcolates. Feel for you man,  ouch! 

Congrats on the gold! The skunk and a kidney stone would have really sucked! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Been there many times about 23 years ago. More water Much more,no more ice cream and cranbery juice helps quite a bit also. Lots of luck as NO FUN-John

• Like 3

Here's a more detailed picture of the little devil that caused so much trouble.  Based on other pictures I've seen, it's a Calcium oxalate stone.

Thanks for all the concern and well wishes.  I'm just mostly concentrating on drinking more water and maybe cutting down on some of the things that are higher in oxalate.

Hopefully, I've got many years ahead before I have to give up hunting solo.  Which is also why I'm doing what I can while I still can.  :head:

Luke

DSC04430 (2).JPG

• Sad 1

I pass one to two stones every year.  Mine are the more rare iron stones and the last one I passed in october was 8mm.  That one took a few weeks of on and off symptoms.  Have done this for 34 years now.

• Sad 3

Ouch! Them sharp ones look mean to pass.

• Like 1

OUCH is right!!! ... I have never had the pleasure and not looking forward to it should it happen to me. Just curious though ... all of you that have had these stones are you heavy drinkers of soda either diet of regular? By heavy I mean at least one soda per day. Reason I ask is the only people close to me that have ever had one drank diet soda a couple times a day.

it hurts me just looking at the stone! never had one and hope i never will.  i go out alone a lot also and have back problems . i used to carry two 5 gal. buckets of dirt back to my truck until i got my detector.  threw my back out while night bass fishing on Saguaro lake.  major spasms every half a minute. my buddy took me to the dock, had to drive to get phone reception to call a ambulance while i flopped around on the front deck of the boat.  fortuneatly it hasn't been that bad lately.

1 hour ago, Mike Furness said:

Just curious though ... all of you that have had these stones are you heavy drinkers of soda either diet of regular? By heavy I mean at least one soda per day. Reason I ask is the only people close to me that have ever had one drank diet soda a couple times a day.

Years ago, I drank soda daily.  Now, I might have one or two a week.  Heavily sweetened coffee or tea is was my go to lately.  That's one of the things I'm in the process of 'fixing'.  I think those beverages can help contribute to the formation of the stone, but probably mostly because they take the place of water.  I suspect the people you know who drink too much soda, don't drink enough water.

Ironically, I've been on a 'health kick' of sorts these last few months.  I've been working out 3 times a week, and making a point to eat a healthy salad each time after I work out.  Trying to burn some fat and not eat junk right after I work out, makes sense to me.  The thing is, I was probably still not drinking enough water after working out, and then some of the components of the salad (spinach is a double offender) are high in calcium and oxalate.  So in one sense, I'm healthier and stronger than I've been in a long time, if not ever.  But then this little jagged rock brought me to my knees.  :idunno:

44 minutes ago, JOHNM said:

it hurts me just looking at the stone! never had one and hope i never will.  i go out alone a lot also and have back problems . i used to carry two 5 gal. buckets of dirt back to my truck until i got my detector.  threw my back out while night bass fishing on Saguaro lake.  major spasms every half a minute. my buddy took me to the dock, had to drive to get phone reception to call a ambulance while i flopped around on the front deck of the boat.  fortuneatly it hasn't been that bad lately.

Good thing your buddy was there to help you.  I think about this when I go out alone and I try to limit myself to places with phone reception if possible. Sometimes you just have to take the risk though.  :brows:  I will say, that because of my workouts these last few months, I feel stronger and more sure footed when I'm going cross country.  I don't get winded like before and I'm not as tired when I get home.  One of the reasons I started the workout, was the fear of hurting my back one day and then never being able to fully recover from it.  Another reason, is my kids are growing up and I don't want to be a 'lazy Dad' when they want to play.  Increasing my effectiveness while detecting is just a bonus.  :thumbsupanim

Luke

• Like 3
  • well done 1

A close-up!... Dude That thing is gnarly and it has a hair!

From the looks of it, I believe that is just the past leaving itself behind. Sounds like your headed in the right direction now.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Been there, done that. Increasing your water intake is the best way to prevent them in the future. Mine were a dark brown that was almost black and more of a rounded shape. Horrible unholy pain...:kap:

• Like 2

Yup lots more water, and the good juices, cranberry, blueberry etc.
NOT the ones made with high fructose !!!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, LukeJ said:

Here's a more detailed picture of the little devil that caused so much trouble.  Based on other pictures I've seen, it's a Calcium oxalate stone.

Thanks for all the concern and well wishes.  I'm just mostly concentrating on drinking more water and maybe cutting down on some of the things that are higher in oxalate.

Hopefully, I've got many years ahead before I have to give up hunting solo.  Which is also why I'm doing what I can while I still can.  :head:

Luke

DSC04430 (2).JPG

Should have posted this photo in the rock and mineral section. Looks like a mini quartz cluster.😉

• Haha 6

If you're too embarrassed to tell everyone you have kidney stones, simply tell them they found Weddellite in your system. Sounds much more serious.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weddellite

On 3/11/2018 at 4:25 PM, LukeJ said:

I think about this when I go out alone and I try to limit myself to places with phone reception if possible. Sometimes you just have to take the risk though.

Luke

Luke makes a very important observation and one that reoccurs to me often.  At our Downieville claims, for example, we are required per our FS plan of operations to maintain a Sat Phone whenever we are visiting the claims.  But we would do so anyway because it is a rugged 2 mile hike (from the end of the 5 mile narrow, crumbling dirt forest road) over substantial up and down elevation changes such that even a game cart would be insufficient to carry an incapacitated person back to where our vehicles are parked unless we had at least two or three other highly fit helpers with us.  There aren't too many things worth permanently maiming ourselves or dying for.  The bottom line IMHO is that human liberty and the freedom to do what we really, REALLY want to do necessarily require a balancing between our desires, a realistic assessment of our abilities and our responsibilities both to family and society.  As we age, these reassessments must be adjusted more and more frequently.

• Like 5

just curious, did you put the sat phone on a plan of operations or did the FS require it?

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 6:12 AM, Morlock said:

Should have posted this photo in the rock and mineral section. Looks like a mini quartz cluster.😉

Yep, you should have posted it in rock and mineral section and had people guess what it was.  :)

I am so glad I wasn't with you.  I don't think I could get your squealing body over my shoulders to haul you out of anywhere.  :laught16:   But in all seriousness, I am really glad you are ok.  I have heard the pain is excruciating and am giving you a cheers with a big tumbler of ice water.

Oh yeah ... niiiice gold

P.S.  I really didn't need to see the zoomed in version :WOW:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

With the hair hahaha, i about fell out of my chair.🤣

• Haha 3

Luke, I, too, fully sympathize with your plight. At least you didn't have to have a lithotripsy. I have, and they ain't fun.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Jimmy M said:

Luke, I, too, fully sympathize with your plight. At least you didn't have to have a lithotripsy. I have, and they ain't fun.

Still better than surgery I'd imagine, but thankfully no, I didn't have any extra procedures to undergo.  

• Like 1