Nugget Shooter Forums

Posted (edited)

We've had chickens for years and with that the quail and doves come in for the easy pickings.  Well I've been breaking up the Cabin Fever around here by stocking up on some dove breast.  We have non-native dove in the US (Eurasian Dove) that has no hunting season and no bag limit placed on them in NV.  You can easily tell the difference between them and the Morning Dove which is a migratory bird with strick limits and hunting season by the black feathered ring on their neck.  I recently bought a PCP air riffle and have been taking advantage of it's awesome accuracy. 

They are very tastey when you breast out the meat and wrap it with a half slice of bacon and a slice of tammed jalapeno.  Soak some tooth picks in water then stick it through the wrap and toss em on the BBQ.  We even put a little bbq sauce on them at times.

Anybody else have a recipe on how they cook dove?

Doug

Note: In some states they do count as your limit when taking other doves during season.  In NV there is as yet no mention of limit or season.

Edited by NvAuMiner
  • Like 4

Youre gonna get fat eating all that ;)

• Like 1

Love my PCP air rifles.  One in 22 and the other 25cal.   No noise.

I ordered a break for mine. It's louder than I would like.  For an entry level PCP ... its accurate and sure beats my old Benjamin 342 pump in .22

I have the Benjamin Maureder in 25 without a break and Maximus in 22 with a break.  Since I live in the country noise is not an issue.

• Like 1

I went the Beeman QB Chief in .22  We have 1.25 acre and so far I haven't had any complaints.  Still don't like the noise...  No reason to let everyone know when I'm plinking at targets. I originally went with the Umarex Octane and the Octane Elite in .22 but had issues with them both so I got away from the break-barrel and tried PCP.  Sure glad I did.  Going to take it out to 50 and 100yrds and see if I can match the group I saw on youtube. I have to agree... they are fun to shoot.

7 hours ago, NvAuMiner said:

I went the Beeman QB Chief in .22  We have 1.25 acre and so far I haven't had any complaints.  Still don't like the noise...  No reason to let everyone know when I'm plinking at targets. I originally went with the Umarex Octane and the Octane Elite in .22 but had issues with them both so I got away from the break-barrel and tried PCP.  Sure glad I did.  Going to take it out to 50 and 100yrds and see if I can match the group I saw on youtube. I have to agree... they are fun to shoot.

The Benjamin Marauder in .25 is a hard act to follow....100 yds. is a looong ways for a pellet. Especially a .22....Pick the calmest day you can. 

• Like 1

Doug,

We are also loaded with the squawking, loud, Eurasian dove. We also shoot and eat a lot of them. They taste just like a mourning dove, just a lot more meat. For those who dont know.

We do what you stated also with the bacon and jalapenos, and we also do that with our ducks. Another good way is to throw them in the crockpot with cream of mushroom soup and have over white rice when done. Very tasty.

We have a Gamo Whisper cat and an RWS thats just a screaming little pellet gun. They are both .177 cal and very fast and very fun.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, middleforkminer2 said:

The Benjamin Marauder in .25 is a hard act to follow....100 yds. is a looong ways for a pellet. Especially a .22....Pick the calmest day you can. 

I agree!!!  That won't be a normal shooting distance, just curious to see what she'll do.  Like I mentioned in a previous hunting post... you gotta learn your gun...even if it's just a pellet gun.  If I can keep it to a quarter size group out to 50 yds I'll be happy.  Pretty much rat-holeing at 35 yds now.

Love the area you're in.  We use to rent that mobile that is right next to the 49'er church in Columbia when I worked at the RMK mine in Copperopolis.  Stompted all ofer those hills.. just wish I was more into metal detecting when I was there.

2 hours ago, nugget108 said:

Doug,

We are also loaded with the squawking, loud, Eurasian dove. We also shoot and eat a lot of them. They taste just like a mourning dove, just a lot more meat. For those who dont know.

We do what you stated also with the bacon and jalapenos, and we also do that with our ducks. Another good way is to throw them in the crockpot with cream of mushroom soup and have over white rice when done. Very tasty.

We have a Gamo Whisper cat and an RWS thats just a screaming little pellet gun. They are both .177 cal and very fast and very fun.

Hey Dan,

Momma uses the crockpot a lot to make duck & goose chili but haven't tried it with the doves.  It does sound good though.  I too like how the E-doves have a lot more meat.  We switched to riced cauliflower rather than white rice when we started following the 'State of Slim' eating plan.  I can't tell the difference.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, devilishjim said:

Youre gonna get fat eating all that ;)

Hey Jim, You mean 'er' don't you?   Fatter   :4chsmu1:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

We stuff our jalapenos with cream cheese  and filet the dove breasts and then wrap the breast  around the peppers and wrap it all with bacon and then to the BBQ.  A little different variety to the recipe.  

I bought my maureder when it first came out and it was cheaper.  I picked the Maximus up off Craigslist with pump, scope, break, six boxes of pellets for 250.  Thought I was robbing the guy.  It was like brand new.

• Like 1

pondmn,

I wouldn't say you robbed him. BUT, let's just say you got a really good deal.

My youngest brother just recently rebuilt (new seals) his old 1970's Sheridan pump air rifle which shoots the cylindrical 5mm (.20 cal.) lead pellet. I had to borrow it a couple months back to unfortunately end the lives of a couple squirrels who refused to be deterred. A lot of people underestimate the capabilities of good quality air rifles with a well placed shot. Some of these ones made today are really moving some FPS along with excellent accuracy!

I don't remember seeing these ring-neck looking doves growing up as a youngster... but then again that was some decades back?!  Ha!

• Like 2

Found this map on hunting regulations in the USA for the Eurasian Collared Dove, it's from 2014 so some of this may have changed, as mentioned in the bottom right corner be sure to check for updated hunting regulations in your state before hunting the doves.

Also some images of this species.

http://nydovehunting.weebly.com/eurasian-collared-dove-regulations-throughout-the-us.html

Picture

Image result for Eurasian Dove

Image result for Eurasian Dove  Image result for Eurasian DoveImage result for Eurasian Dove

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Randall said:

I don't remember seeing these ring-neck looking doves growing up as a youngster... but then again that was some decades back?!  Ha!

I don't remember them either and we did a lot of dove hunting around the Porterville, CA area.  As I remember... they were all mourning doves.  That was in the early 70's.

• Like 2

I grew up in the Phoenix area in the 50's and all we had back then was mourning and white tipped wing doves. Now we got all kinds of critters coming across the border.  :idunno:

• Like 3

The Rws 177 is a very good break action, maybe one of the best and will do the job on doves.

On 3/10/2018 at 6:03 PM, NvAuMiner said:

I don't remember them either and we did a lot of dove hunting around the Porterville, CA area.  As I remember... they were all mourning doves.  That was in the early 70's.

If i remember right, they didnt start moving into Nv in any noticeable numbers until the late 90s or early 2000s. Then we started seeing them more and more around the dairys and the grain fields we hunted. I remember when we first seen one with a flock of regular morning dove. We were all trying to get " The Super Dove " lol. It was huge compared to the normal dove. Now they are taking over to the point they possibly could push out the morning dove.

• Like 2

Invasive species usually have a negative effect on the native species. I can share one example...

Smallmouth bass are not native to Texas waters but we do have rivers in central Texas where a smallmouth would feel right at home. In the 1970's Texas Parks and Wildlife introduced smallmouths in some Texas rivers for the benefit of the angler. They started to flourish but it was soon noted by state biologists that they were also interbreeding with the Guadalupe river bass that is only known to exist in certain Texas rivers. The state put a hold on future stocking of smallmouths because they wanted to protect the Guadalupe river bass. 

• Like 1

In AZ crayfish are an invasive species.  I've even seem them in the pools that never dry up along the Agua Fria.  Went out one weekend up in Payson with a bunch of people and caught hundreds of the crayfish, shelled them, and ate them.

I occasionally here the doves, but have not yet seen the collared dove. For all I know, the doves I'm hearing could be pigeons, but don't see those either.

• Like 1

Did not know about the crayfish Chrisski ...thanks for that information! They are good to eat but you have to be careful to ONLY cook the lives ones and throw the dead ones out before cooking. Here's another one for you...when I lived in Chandler, Az. I saw a wildlife program on TV that was documenting Arizona's problem with another invasive species called the bullfrog. Apparently someone in Arizona back in the 50's/60's wanted to raise bullfrogs for eating and selling and they got out of control. Wildlife biologists set up cameras during the night around cattle watering tanks in Az. trying to study what the frogs were actually eating. Snakes, tarantulas, scorpions were being gobbled up along with whatever else the bullfrog could swallow...they were even seen eating each other whenever possible! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hmmmmmm 1

Well the 'fat-lady-sang' tonight!!!  Its a done deal... 16 Eurasian doves down - yielded 32+ breast/bacon-jalapeno wraps and you can get two bites off one wrap when you cut them half.  Topped it off with mixed veggies and seasoned potato wedges.     Delicious... Delicious...Delicious :thumbsupanim

IMG_2502.JPG

IMG_2506.JPG

IMG_2507.JPG

• Like 5
  • well done 1

Dang!!  That sure looks delicious!!  :4chsmu1:

• Like 1

Well it looks like your "volunteered" to make lunch when we head down your direction haha. Those look great!!

• Like 1