Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pRoDiEuS

Meteorite Hunting Advice Needed

Posted (edited)

Good morning, Im starting the photographing process this morning. I got a bit worried at first because the camera was having difficulties with the white balance and exposure but luckily I got through some how. I only wish I had a tripod now because it would be much easier than shooting by hand control. This is a test image of one of the particles.

This doesn't look like one!

IMAG2276.jpg

Edited by Rocky

On 3/2/2018 at 9:41 PM, Mikestang said:

Like I said, without a SEM you can't know what you have, you cannot identify a micrometeorite by how it looks.

Mike I tagged you in this post in case so you don't miss it. Check this out I'm just starting to photograph the particles and passed by this one on the slide. It interesting to say the least. But anyways I'm definitely not implying MM, dare I say the visual characteristic of this one looks good though. I hope you guys like these photos I'll try to get through the slide today.

IMAG2279~3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Just putting this out there in support in part of what Mike maybe is trying to convey. Spheres are not necessarily MMs at all in fact probably metal grindings. So from what I read MMs are more likely irregular.

IMAG2281.jpg

Edited by Rocky
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I got so busy at work yesterday 14hr shift it was very difficult to make it back to the scope to photograph more. I'll have to try again another day soon. I'm going to load a couple files but the quality is not that good but a couple of particles look interesting. I've viewed a majority of the slide now and I pretty positive most of those particles are maybe iron oxidation, particles of sand made it in along with some organics and a few strange bright pink minerals which a cool to look at but not MMs. It will take time,  fresh eyes, steady hands,  maybe even a tripod to capture the smaller targets well and even so light exposure from about the targets that I'd like to share you, so I ask for a bit more time from y'all and I appreciate your patience. I usually get things like this done quickly but storms, power outages, long work days and now tomorrow a big blizzard keep interrupting the progress.

• Like 1