Nugget Shooter Forums
Nugget Shooter

MARCH 2018 NS Spring Outing

The reservation is marked and the boundary is easy to see... We do not hunt there. The camp area has been used by folks for decades and there is no law against it... Geeeeze ya worry warts. :ROFL: 

• Like 4

Also.....   A website called the ASLD Parcel Viewer.

Blue is State Trust

Brown is Bureau of Reclamation

Orange is Reservation

Yellow is BLM

Google maps barely tells you anything....

Careful out there.

ASLD Parcel TomWells.jpg

• Like 1

Screw it, outing is cancelled.... Seriously, to much controversy over spot  I picked, sorry to those planning to attend. 

• Sad 3
  • Irritated 2

I will still be putting together a training session that will be free to any Minelab Gold Monster users very soon. I just need to figure out where before it gets too hot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Obviously when we stole all that land from the Indians, we gave them back way too much.  :4chsmu1:
Doc

• Hmmmmmm 1

14 hours ago, jjbond said:

There's this real cool new website called Google Maps.. give it a shot you'll love it, it even works on your phone and the little blue dot will show you where you are, keep the blue dot outside the line indicated by the red arrows and you should be safe. :action-smiley-068[1]:

Google Maps?  Are you sure there is such a thing?  Sounds very sophisticated.  Thank you for showing me the boundaries.

So Jennifer what you are telling me is that in order to keep off the Indian's land I just have to look for the ARROWS?  What?  No Tomahawks?

Doc

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Bill Southern said:

The reservation is marked and the boundary is easy to see... We do not hunt there. The camp area has been used by folks for decades and there is no law against it... Geeeeze ya worry warts. :ROFL: 

I knew we wouldn't hunt there, I just didn't know if there was a way to tell where "there" was.  Boundary markers are good.  Hunting close to Lake Mead Recreation area I am just paranoid.  A couple of guys who were intentionally on the recreation area got their quads, detectors and trucks confiscated a couple of years back.  They got them all back after a hefty fine.  I don't ever go on the recreation area, but about two months ago a couple of friends were hunting close to the boundary fence and they landed a helicopter and told them they were getting awfully close to the boundary fence and they better not go on the other side of the fence or they would be in big trouble.  I thought that was sort of weird.

Sorry I didn't mean to cause any troubles, I just wanted to know just the kind of information you gave me, that there are boundary markers.  Personally I thought the location was great.  Really convenient to have that gas station and quick mart nearby.

I'm going, I made plans.  But Bill, how in the hell am I supposed to borrow gas and eat your food if you are not going to be there?  I can still do prospectamication even if you aren't there. 

Doc

Sorry Doc and All, it is my fault for picking the spot in the first place and I was just trying to get folks into a good area new to them. We have been going there for years with no hassle and the club Nugget Wranglers even had claims there for years. I have never heard of the State reclamation land and the area is under BLM control. Indian lands are well marked. I had several phone calls from folks asking if we were going to guide them to areas to hunt and a couple cancelled after getting worried about land ownership issues so I just decided to call it off to avoid issues. I have no idea about what is under claim to the South these days and did not want to send folks out not knowing the land status or where active claims are and with no club claims in the area the whole outing spot was a bad idea. Folks new to nugget shooting would have no idea where they could hunt or end up in the wrong area possibly.... Just too much to deal with and like I said bad idea on my part. We originally had planned to show folks around the camp area which is open ground for several miles and many nuggets have been found in this area, but just to sketchy now even though the area is marked as BLM. The last thing I want to do is get someone in trouble when all we are doing is try to teach new folks and see old friends so yes the outing is cancelled. Patrick is talking to his friend at the BLM today, but is also under the impression the land is under BLM control so at least we will know for sure, but that will not revive the outing I am afraid. Again sorry for my blunder.....

Well, you're all invited to New York, for the first annual "NuggetShooter East Coast Shoot Out," this Summer! Stay tuned for details! :4chsmu1:

IMG_20171117_180543.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Bill Southern said:

Sorry Doc and All, it is my fault for picking the spot in the first place.........Again sorry for my blunder.....

Bill you have no reason to apologize for scheduling the outing at Quartzsite.  We have had the outing there in the past and I remember the last one as one of the best.  Tom and I, Patrick, Shep, and several others go there at least once or twice a year and find some rare specimens of gold that is hidden in 'them thar hills'.  There is never any trouble with Tribal Police as we never go on their land.  It's quite simple to do your research first and obey all laws.  Those that are frightened by things like that shouldn't be bothering to go to LSD, Rich Hill and such for fear of Government intervention and renegade miners.  :yikes::th_panic:  God bless the work you do on our behalf in planning these things. I as one sure do appreciate it.        

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • well done 1

Posted (edited)

That’s a bummer I was looking forward to checking out a new area and hanging out with everyone. Not sure why land status became a issue with this trip? LSD is a mess of state, BLM, and active claims but everybody seemed cool with that. Maybe people made a issue to protect a good area?:89::idunno:

Edited by Desertpilot
  • Like 2
  • Hmmmmmm 1

Good Grief Folks !!  We`ve been camping at that site for ever !!    Thanks for ruining everything:idunno::2mo5pow:

• Like 2
  • Hmmmmmm 1
  • wow 1

56 minutes ago, adam said:

Good Grief Folks !!  We`ve been camping at that site for ever !!    Thanks for ruining everything:idunno::2mo5pow:

What got ruined?  You're still free to go there, as is everyone else.  Apparently, y'all have been doing it for ages.  What's changed?

My apologies for pointing out that the campsite is on BLR land.  In the process of 'doing my research', I discovered a few weeks ago that the campsite has that particular land status.  It doesn't take but two minutes to find out that camping there is not an issue.  Possessing a metal detector is not an issue.  Using the detector on BLR land is the issue.  At least according to the regulations.  Once again, very easy to find on the internet.  I stayed quiet about it for fear of stirring up a stink.  I now wish I had stuck to that plan. :idunno: Sorry.

Since, for the most part,  I try to do things by the book.  I made plans to go elsewhere on some open BLM land.  I'm not about to try to tell people what they can and can't do.  Then Doc, someone who's 'been around forever', and a friend of Bill's, posed his question about the Indian Reservation in the area.  It was perplexing since I figured he was knowledgeable and if he was concerned then it seemed like a good time to bring up the BLR as well.  My intent was to inform those who are less informed that you might not be able to walk out of your camper and start swinging.  Which is also why I posted the 'map' and the website where anyone could verify for themselves.  I never said we couldn't camp there, or detect there.  What 'you' do is 'your' business.   If what's taken place in the past was met with no issues or enforcement, then by all means, carry on.  :thumbsupanim

I personally wouldn't know, what took place in the past, since I've never been there.  I was really looking forward to this outing since it represented a great opportunity to learn about a significant area in Arizona.  Hopefully there will be a 'next time'....

Luke

• Like 1

So other than Indian Reservations and State parks, i thought metal detecting was considered "a casual use" means to prospect for gold and minerals. Just like panning. What other government agencies dont allow it? Just curious. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, nugget108 said:

So other than Indian Reservations and State parks, i thought metal detecting was considered "a casual use" means to prospect for gold and minerals. Just like panning. What other government agencies dont allow it? Just curious. 

I just Googled 'metal detecting on Bureau of Reclamation'. 

That's exactly all I did, and this PDF came up.

Specifically 423.29 (f), but it also talks about camping and various other activities.

CFR-2007-title43-vol1-sec423-31.pdf

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, LukeJ said:

Then Doc, someone who's 'been around forever', and a friend of Bill's, posed his question about the Indian Reservation in the area.  It was perplexing since I figured he was knowledgeable and if he was concerned then it seemed like a good time to bring up the BLR as well.

Luke, what was perplexing?  I know you can't hunt on Indian Reservations so I basically wanted to know how we knew where the Indian Reservation lands were located.
Bill answered the question simply, the boundaries are marked.  That's all I needed to know.

It would be like someone who had never been to Gold Basin before, which is adjacent to Lake Mead Recreation Area, asking me, "How do I make sure I don't wander onto the the Recreational area?"  The answer is, "They have a boundary fence."  Legitimate question and a simple answer.

Sorry a simple innocuous question started such a firestorm of controversy.

Doc

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Heck.........im just out there cleaning up birdshot/tin/bullets  Good ol green me :) 

Seems to be all I get down there...........but! the outings are a heck of a great time! :yesss:

Running over toilets...running over gas cans (YOTO got hungry)   Getting plugged up and having to go to Eringburg to get unplugged....dont ask :) ...Getting my 1oz. certificate.  Holding Sheps Dog turd..................Not to mention the sunsets!    Lots of good times! 

Tom H.

Edited by TomH
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, DOC said:

Luke, what was perplexing?  I know you can't hunt on Indian Reservations so I basically wanted to know how we knew where the Indian Reservation lands were located.
Bill answered the question simply, the boundaries are marked.  That's all I needed to know.

Well I figured you'd been there before like 'everyone else'.  My mistake.

3 minutes ago, LukeJ said:

Well I figured you'd been there before like 'everyone else'.  My mistake.

Dear Luke,

I have been to Quartzsite, 4 or 5 times but never at that location.  I always camped down in the BLM camp grounds by the Dome Rock.  Then I would hunt the club's claims, because I have belonged to the Quartzsite club for years.  I try to support most of the smaller clubs even if i don't hunt their claims.  I have never prospected that area where the outing was going to be held.  So that was new dirt to me.

The only thing always remember about Quartzsite is two things.  One time in April it was like 70 in Vegas, perfect weather.  So I thought it would be a good time to take a little trip to Quartzsite.  It was 102 degrees down there!  How can there be a 32 degree difference only a couple hundred miles from Las Vegas?  I was not ready for that at all.  The other thing I remember is that the 4 or 5 times I have been there, I have ran into a desert tortoise, every single time.  Every time!  I don't know if it's the same darn turtle, or it's my spirit animal, or there is just one hell of a lot of Desert Tortoise in the area.

Doc

• Haha 3
  • Hmmmmmm 1

22 minutes ago, TomH said:

Heck.........im just out there cleaning up birdshot/tin/bullets  Good ol green me :) 

Seems to be all I get down there...........but! the outings are a heck of a great time! :yesss:

Running over toilets...running over gas cans (YOTO got hungry)   Getting plugged up and having to go to Eringburg to get unplugged....dont ask :) ...Getting my 1oz. certificate.  Holding Sheps Dog turd..................Not to mention the sunsets!    Lots of good times! 

Tom H.

LOL, TMI. Getting unplugged, dog turd?  How in the hell does that go with beautiful sunsets?  Sounds like you got the making of a country western song in there somewhere.

:thumbsupanim  Doc

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, DOC said:

It would be like someone who had never been to Gold Basin before, which is adjacent to Lake Mead Recreation Area, asking me, "How do I make sure I don't wander onto the the Recreational area?"  The answer is, "They have a boundary fence."  Legitimate question and a simple answer.

Sorry a simple innocuous question started such a firestorm of controversy.

Doc

I agree Doc when I hunted there (quartzite) they had a row of white posts going east to west about fifty yards apart. this was just N. west of the LaPaz placers area. looked almost like claim posts but too close together. I dont remember if they were marked? I was popping small nuggets and I look up I see a white blazer or bronco pull up. the guy in it just sat there? the next thing I know another one pulls up next to him. I realized they where reservation police and that was the reservation line. I stayed south of the line and just kept hunting, they never said a word to me. AzNuggetBob

Edited by AzNuggetBob
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, LukeJ said:

I was really looking forward to this outing since it represented a great opportunity to learn about a significant area in Arizona.  Hopefully there will be a 'next time'....

Hey Luke, we go down to the 'Q' around the second week in December.  Great weather to hunt and good crowd of beepers gathered together at Jane and Johnny Eagles Trailer.  They spend the whole winter there on the same place that we were going to have the outing.  Johnny is a year older than me and a great guy. It's his birthday and the guys from Kalif. come over to help him celebrate.  You are welcome to come with us this year and see some new area to you.  :party-smiley-027[1]:

Old Tom 

• Like 4

OK, guys it is all good and no one should be too grumpy over this, the main reason the outing is cancelled is the reclamation land and its guidelines. I as a business can not take the risk or liability to have a business based group outing there as well as having to have portable toilets for the group :arrowheadsmiley: It simply went from fun to having to deal with a whole new entity and their BS laws. I am actually glad this was brought to my attention as I had no idea it was reclamation land and heck there were club claims out there just a few years back belonging to Nugget Wrangles which I was a member of.

Better safe than sorry says I and once I knew the land status as a business I must simply take it into full consideration or I could end up in hot water.

I am still going out to the Dome area to camp and hunt that weekend and will be safely tucked away on a club claim safe from all bureaucratic assault enjoying my weekend.  It is just too late to try and re group somewhere else and run an outing the size they usually are so it was cancelled this time. First one ever cancelled and we even did one in the rain at Gold Basin one year, brrrrrrrrrrr.

I think next outing in the Quartzsite area I will seek the blessings of the GPAA or Quartzsite club to hold it on one of their claims and there will be no issues except having to supply toilets when there are that many folks at an outing.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1