Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Rocky

Cold Hunt with GM vsat, cold, no yay, but hey!!!

Wow what a way to spend the evening. It was time to put the new gm vsat to work to see what she was capable of. I decided to hit the trails but almost all the detecting was done off the trails, believe me to preserve the beaten trail because I'm sure people don't want to see digging all over, I'm also a firm believer in filling and tamping your holes but I'm sure this is standard practice for all prospecting.

I cannot believe the difference using a professional machine in comparison to a crappy pioneer 101 and the Fisher F2, NIGHT and DAY right!!! When this machine is in tune it seems to sing just the right notes so you can practically guess what kind of target your digging. My choice targets today were a couple of chondrites for practice which basically make a low wurp-wurp passing over them in comparison to solid steel or lead which makes it sing loud and sharp especially at center mass. Pin pointing is a breeze in the wind!!!  

Most of the search was off the beaten path to minimize trash which on the trail consisted of a bunch of socket cap bolts from mountain bikes LOL people need thread lock everywhere!!! My results, well the ground was barely mineralized, I was able to run the machine with the Gain 100%. The targets ranged from surface to I'd say 6" . So even though the ground wasn't hot a majority of the targets ended up being what I believe maybe was granite or some other type, not over whelming either which was great because that sucks I'm sure when it is everywhere especially as a new experience and especially when it sounds closely similar to what your looking for.

All said and done the the finds seem to be a shotgun slug, a 22 case and a suspect that looks like nay but I took it home to file for fun. It was a great experience, it was cool 30° no windchill couple of fireballs 🥃and I'm really satisfied with the results. More cold hunts will come. This machine is awesome!!! I love when people drive by on there mountain bikes almost confused when your standing deeper in the woods off the path alone pumping the detector up and down for a sec for ground balancing LOL they must be like what the heck!!! The last two are the chondrites I brought for practice.

IMAG2043.jpg

IMAG2044.jpg

IMAG2042.jpg

IMAG2041.jpg

IMAG2048.jpg

IMAG2051.jpg

IMAG2049.jpg

IMAG2055.jpg

Edited by Rocky
  • Like 1

Are the last two throw downs to test?  The top one in the last pict looks like an NWA weathered chondrite.

4 hours ago, Mikestang said:

Are the last two throw downs to test?  The top one in the last pict looks like an NWA weathered chondrite.

Yes, I made sure to clarify that in the post as well, Good throw downs too, they both made noise under the coil. Yes those two are both NWAs.

Rocky,

A good throw down can be invaluable when learning to detect. Just remember to pick it back up....:4chsmu1:

Ive made that mistake once.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There's a lot more than meteorites out there, too, and metal detectors bring it all to light.  While I was looking for pieces of the Lake Los Angeles meteorite I came across an old homestead site and found tons of cool "treasure", you never know what you might stumble across.

LLA05Jan2014002.jpg

Edited by Mikestang
  • Like 3

51 minutes ago, Mikestang said:

There's a lot more than meteorites out there, too, and metal detectors bring it all to light.  While I was looking for pieces of the Lake Los Angeles meteorite I came across an old homestead site and found tons of cool "treasure", you never know what you might stumble across.

LLA05Jan2014002.jpg

WOW those are awesome finds man!!! I'm sure I can come across things of that nature as well being the settlers landed here first, geez that didn't even occur to me lol!! Great point!

Edited by Rocky

Great story Rocky :)
Glad your getting out and enjoying the new toy.

I have found some big nuts from dirt bikes in my area....wonder if the axle worked out or what was going to go wrong.

Good luck to ya

Tom H.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TomH said:

I have found some big nuts from dirt bikes in my area....wonder if the axle worked out or what was going to go wrong.

LOL that's what I'm saying how do these people make it!!! Axle nut falls off duct tape will take care of it 😂!!

• Like 1

I just finished a hunt in the dark over here I'll fill you guys in when I get home. I was hunting some old grounds tonight came across some okay stuff nothing big really but I'll still going to share with you guys! Sound good?

• Like 1

I'm going to Wendy's right now to get the four for four deal with the Baconator fries because those things are amazing and for $0.75 more they loaded on more fries more cheese in a bunch of bacon and it's delicious so that's what's on my mind right now till I get home!

27 minutes ago, Rocky said:

I'm going to Wendy's right now to get the four for four deal with the Baconator fries because those things are amazing and for $0.75 more they loaded on more fries more cheese in a bunch of bacon and it's delicious so that's what's on my mind right now till I get home!

You can't beat it for $5

IMAG2073.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rocky said:

You can't beat it for $5

IMAG2073.jpg

OH GEE THANKS Rocky, I worked late tonight so I stopped by Burger King to get a double chesse whopper with bacon and a order of fries, but they were closed, at 7:00 PM, what's up with that!! :idunno:

Now I sitting here with a TV dinner in fornt of me and you post this photo!!  :2mo5pow:

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Rocky said:

WOW those are awesome finds man!!! I'm sure I can come across things of that nature as well being the settlers landed here first, geez that didn't even occur to me lol!! Great point!

Rocky, where you live there's very big chances you can come across very, very old coins and other pre and post Revolutionary War era and more recent but still very old relics, if I were you I would dig every signal and very carefully so as not to do any damage to any possible finds!!!

1 hour ago, Au Seeker said:

OH GEE THANKS Rocky, I worked late tonight so I stopped by Burger King to get a double chesse whopper with bacon and a order of fries, but they were closed, at 7:00 PM, what's up with that!! :idunno:

Now I sitting here with a TV dinner in fornt of me and you post this photo!!  :2mo5pow:

LOL sounds about right, I can go to burger king practically anytime and it's tough to get a burger, they might make it another year but BK I think is suffering. Sorry to torture you but nothing drives hunger for Wendy's like a good hunt LOL!!!

1 hour ago, Au Seeker said:

Rocky, where you live there's very big chances you can come across very, very old coins and other pre and post Revolutionary War era and more recent but still very old relics, if I were you I would dig every signal and very carefully so as not to do any damage to any possible finds!!!

Im crossing my fingers and toes, the area I was hunting today was only really accessible by horse buggy at best. I'll post some of the finds asap I fell asleep after that Wendy's

Okay so here are the search results from today in the old field, I searched strictly the perimeter and now plan to grid the area next time before the spring while the field is still dormant. There was not any meteorites and the finds aren't as sweet as Mike's finds but I'm very impressed with the machine. The variable tone is invaluable for pinpointing. I love this detector so far and as long as my legs will carry me I'm down for the hunt. The coolest object I found is what appears to be a old bullet. I used to scale the side ofa large stone wall at this place called powder house park in Somerville MA were apparently a old battle took place, the rocks are riddle with pits were I believe bullets hit and I actually found a bullet similar to the one found today except that one was perfectly jammed in between where two rock narrow, needless to say I didn't have a tool to wedge it out. 

IMAG2059.jpg

IMAG2064.jpg

IMAG2062.jpg

IMAG2084.jpg

IMAG2086.jpg

IMAG2087.jpg

IMAG2088.jpg

IMAG2089.jpg

• Like 3

Looks like an old round ball to me for sure.

You might want to check out the relic sub-forum, lots of good stuff like this there.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mikestang said:

You might want to check out the relic sub-forum, lots of good stuff like this there.

Yeah I just dove in that forum a little last night. I'm concentrated on meteorites but the detector opens new avenues which I'm definitely down for, meteorites being my number one for sure then relics I can handle the double task, my patience is a HUGE strength. They both excite me. I just picked up a mountain bike to probe further than ever!!!

Looks like you're having a great time, and finding some neat targets! :thumbsupanim

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Terry Soloman said:

Looks like you're having a great time, and finding some neat targets! :thumbsupanim

Absolutely having the time of my life truly!!! Thanks Terry!!

• Like 2

So I really wanted to deeper into the woods to hunt more grounds so I got a awesome mountain bike and rigged it up to transport the detector. I hit expert trails called Trail Of Tears in between hunting which was awesome!!! I was able to grid almost a entire field approximately 1mile then went found and explored other fields with no luck, but it was still a blast. There were shotgun shells everywhere, probably 1++ 10' in any direction LOL. Total trip was about 7miles. I found another slug, this sucker is big,  I don't honestly know what shoots this.

IMAG2103~2.jpg

IMAG2104.jpg

IMAG2102.jpg

Screenshot_20180217-200437.png

Screenshot_20180217-200356.png

IMAG2106.jpg

IMAG2107.jpg

IMAG2108.jpg

IMAG2111.jpg

• Like 1

I've used my bike on dry lakes before, too, it's a great way to cover a lot of ground. 22Jun2013-StV-001.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mikestang said:

I've used my bike on dry lakes before, too, it's a great way to cover a lot of ground. 

Yeah man, Good conditioning too!!  Nice setup man and you can't beat that scenery!!!

Great adventures today. Lots of trail and some hunting, some of the trails are hairpin wide and nearly vertical. Skunked of course but I know the right sounds at least. Hopefully I stumble across a nice big chondrite soon!!!

IMAG2115.jpg

IMAG2113.jpg

IMAG2117.jpg

IMAG2121.jpg

IMAG2118.jpg

IMAG2119.jpg

IMAG2124~4.jpg

IMAG2124~3.jpg

Screenshot_20180218-213518~2.png

• Like 2