Nugget Shooter Forums
LukeJ

I found some gold today

Hey all....   :D

So I was able to sneak out and give my 'new souped up SDC' a run today. 

It's hard for me to imagine that changing the batteries could make the detector work better, but it seemed to be the case.

I went to two separate spots that I've been skunked the last few times.  I guess there was still a few left....   :4chsmu1:

Luke

20180211_145829 (2).jpg

20180211_174423 (2).jpg

• Like 18

Very cool, you running different batteries?

• Like 1

Sweet nuggies Luke. Good job. 

• Thanks 1

Gold is great !  Well Done man  :black_knight_standing::yesss:

• Thanks 2

Nice Gold :head: I NEEEEEEED to get OUTTTTTTT soon :arrowheadsmiley: Mike C...:200:

• Like 2

Way-to-go Luke;  You seem to be having a hot streak lately,..  keep it up! 

I can't seem to get rid of this skunk that has been following me around since this New Year started.  :grr01: All I am finding in my outings is very old lead slugs (time after time), boot tacks and "very-"dinky"" pieces of rusted wire.  My Z-7000 really amazes me as to just how small of "lead-fragments," and "barley-visible-dinky pieces of wire" it's coil will pick up a signal from!!!  I mean I see pretty darn good, but I literally had to use my pinpointer on the dinky-wire-piece (which by the way was lodged down in a crack about 4" ) just to be able to find it.  So, finding this small stuff with the 14" coil,... once I do "eventually" get my coil over some gold I know for a fact it won't miss it.  SO, I am ready to get-rid-of-this Pesky Skunk,.........Hey adam, I've got a present for ya,.............  or maybe Tom H will give it a ride for a while???  Gary

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great Luke, every little tweak helps.  

Old Tom

• Like 1

Thanks guys.  :thumbsupanim

2 hours ago, Desertpilot said:

Very cool, you running different batteries?

Yeah, I'm running Li-ion batteries now.  I ran the detector for 7.5 hours and the battery meter still says 'full'.  The first nugget of the day was a .33g piece.  When it was in the scoop the detector made the overload sound.  I don't remember that happening before.  Most of the finds today were just warbles to start with.  It just seemed I was finding targets a tiny bit deeper than before.  I've never found 7 in one day at the second spot.  I broke my old record of 12 in one day with 13.  :D

Luke

• Like 6

Luke I can see your hunting skills are also getting better. Battery maybe? unless you where hunting with a weak old battery. Could it be its rained since you last hunted it, erosion, damp ground etc. lot of things to consider.
I use all of these to my advantage on old patches. all I can say is, that placer patch isn't over until you hit bedrock. best of luck on more. AzNuggetBob

Edited by AzNuggetBob
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Awesome Luke.. Good to know its still out there. 

When you say "Yeah, I'm running Li-ion batteries now." in place of AA's?  I'm never experimented with rechargeables. Voltages the same?

• Like 1

Right on Luke!
Might be the batteries....I say its more skill :)
Tom H.

• Thanks 2

Way to go Luke! No matter the sizes finding that many pieces in one day is super fun! :thumbsupanim

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, LowPoint said:

Way-to-go Luke;  You seem to be having a hot streak lately,..  keep it up! 

I can't seem to get rid of this skunk that has been following me around since this New Year started.  :grr01: All I am finding in my outings is very old lead slugs (time after time), boot tacks and "very-"dinky"" pieces of rusted wire.  My Z-7000 really amazes me as to just how small of "lead-fragments," and "barley-visible-dinky pieces of wire" it's coil will pick up a signal from!!!  I mean I see pretty darn good, but I literally had to use my pinpointer on the dinky-wire-piece (which by the way was lodged down in a crack about 4" ) just to be able to find it.  So, finding this small stuff with the 14" coil,... once I do "eventually" get my coil over some gold I know for a fact it won't miss it.  SO, I am ready to get-rid-of-this Pesky Skunk,.........Hey adam, I've got a present for ya,.............  or maybe Tom H will give it a ride for a while???  Gary

Gary:

KEEP IT!

One pet skunk is enough for me :4chsmu1:

Tom H.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Cooper said:

Awesome Luke.. Good to know its still out there. 

When you say "Yeah, I'm running Li-ion batteries now." in place of AA's?  I'm never experimented with rechargeables. Voltages the same?

The Li-ion batteries start out at 8.4V and then the cut-off is at 6V.  The 4 C-cell rechargeable batteries that I had been running (stock batteries) are lucky to start at 6V and then the detector cuts off around 4.5V.  This Li-ion modification has been around for over a year now and some guys in Australia were saying that they were seeing increased performance using Li-ions.  I was a bit skeptical about that, but the reduction in weight (150g) and the increased run time (more than double) was good enough for me.  I can say now though, that the detector did seem to be slightly boosted but I won't attribute all the finds to that alone.  I was able to get the coil in some new spots and that's where most of the nuggets were dug.  At least two of the nuggets were a bit deeper than they should have been detectable for their size, and like I mentioned before, the .33g nug made the machine give an overload signal (like a nail).

10 hours ago, AzNuggetBob said:

Luke I can see your hunting skills are also getting better. Battery maybe? unless you where hunting with a weak old battery. Could it be its rained since you last hunted it, erosion, damp ground etc. lot of things to consider.
I use all of these to my advantage on old patches. all I can say is, that placer patch isn't over until you hit bedrock. best of luck on more. AzNuggetBob

The ground is dry.  But not for long....  :thumbsupanim

One thing I really like about hunting the same spots is that you know where you've been and where you haven't.  I'm pretty familiar with these locations so when I go, I try to do something that I didn't do before.  Like get the coil under 'new' bushes, or turn over larger rocks I haven't turned over yet.  Two of the nugget were from scraping down an embankment to expose more bedrock.  Quite certainly there's still more gold there.  I'll just have to work a little harder next time.  :head:

Luke

• Like 4

Nice job Luke, great nuggets :thumbsupanim As Bob noted a lot of factors to consider but, I noticed a performance difference even with different brands any types of batteries on my SDC too:black_knight_standing: It was a fun machine to own and hunt with. Might have to get another one sometime :head:

• Like 1

Luke Nice batch of Nuggets!  It is awesome to break your personal best! There is nothing like seeing that piece of gold on your coil.  I seem to do better every time I change the batteries. But getting the detector in different spots in an old patch really strike an accord in my playbook. sometimes it requires a hoe and a rake to hit the spots that the detector didn't reach.

• Like 1

Great gold there Luke!  Way to be consistent on the yellow!

• Thanks 1

Very nice gold, heard about the battery mod and was curious as to how it would work since Minelab specifically says not to use them in the manual.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Bill Southern said:

Very nice gold, heard about the battery mod and was curious as to how it would work since Minelab specifically says not to use them in the manual.

Thanks Bill.  :D

Do you happen to know which page it says to not use Li-ion batteries?  I just looked through it and couldn't find the warning.  There are some 26650 Li-ion batteries that are about the same size as C-cell batteries.  Each one is 4.2V and if you managed to put 4 of them in your SDC bad things would probably happen.  That's where common sense and technical knowledge come into play.  Hopefully.... 

I'm using two 18650 cells which combined, give a maximum of 8.4V.  The individual cells are smaller in diameter and shorter in length than two C-cells which is why the adaptors are required.

After over a year of people in Australia and our own 'MikeC' using the modification.....   I figured the increased run time and weight savings was worth it.  Plus there did seem to be some performance enhancement.  Although I'm not sure how to quantify it.  Other than I have always run my detector on Sensitivity setting '4' and I noticed a difference.  Maybe it was just the placebo effect?  

I haven't heard of anyone having any issues other than good experiences.  I just recharged the 18650 cells I used the other day and after 7.5 hours of detecting, they still had 3.4V each (6.8V total) which is more than the alkaline or recharable NI-MH batteries ever had. 

I guess time will tell at this point.   :idunno:

:head:

Luke

On 2/12/2018 at 9:19 AM, TomH said:

Gary:

KEEP IT!

One pet skunk is enough for me :4chsmu1:

Tom H.

• Ah come on Tom, every pet is entitled to have their own ....."pet-partner",.........Hey, give one to your dad  

1 hour ago, LowPoint said:

Ah come on Tom, every pet is entitled to have their own ....."pet-partner",.........Hey, give one to your dad  

Hey Mr. Point, I don't need any more skunks following me.  I haven't found a nugget in the last few months and now I have 'fallen and couldn't get up'.  Been laying around for the last four days and still plenty sore.  Waiting to heal so I can get back at it again.  :th:

Old Tom

42 minutes ago, Old Tom said:

.... and now I have 'fallen and couldn't get up'.  Been laying around for the last four days and still plenty sore.  Waiting to heal so I can get back at it again.  :th:

Old Tom

Hopefully you'll heal up soon so you can get back out there before it starts heating up.

I think I found your 'paintbrush' at the red dirt spot....   :arrowheadsmiley:

Feel better soon OT.

Luke

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Old Tom said:

Hey Mr. Point, I don't need any more skunks following me.  I haven't found a nugget in the last few months and now I have 'fallen and couldn't get up'.  Been laying around for the last four days and still plenty sore.  Waiting to heal so I can get back at it again.  :th:

Old Tom

Wow,.......Sorry to hear about your situation.  I meant no harm with my comment.  Hope you heal up real soon,....  the Gold beckon's to you,....and me for that matter.  Gary

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, LukeJ said:

Thanks Bill.  :D

Do you happen to know which page it says to not use Li-ion batteries?  I just looked through it and couldn't find the warning.  There are some 26650 Li-ion batteries that are about the same size as C-cell batteries.  Each one is 4.2V and if you managed to put 4 of them in your SDC bad things would probably happen.  That's where common sense and technical knowledge come into play.  Hopefully.... 

I'm using two 18650 cells which combined, give a maximum of 8.4V.  The individual cells are smaller in diameter and shorter in length than two C-cells which is why the adaptors are required.

After over a year of people in Australia and our own 'MikeC' using the modification.....   I figured the increased run time and weight savings was worth it.  Plus there did seem to be some performance enhancement.  Although I'm not sure how to quantify it.  Other than I have always run my detector on Sensitivity setting '4' and I noticed a difference.  Maybe it was just the placebo effect?  

I haven't heard of anyone having any issues other than good experiences.  I just recharged the 18650 cells I used the other day and after 7.5 hours of detecting, they still had 3.4V each (6.8V total) which is more than the alkaline or recharable NI-MH batteries ever had. 

I guess time will tell at this point.   :idunno:

:head:

Luke

Where did you get the adapter and the charger?  I saw one for sale in Oz.