Nugget Shooter Forums
LukeJ

SDC2300 Li-ion battery adaptors

So today, I found myself with some free time and since my son was home from school, I decided it would be a good time to pay some friends a visit.  I used to work in a great little machine shop in Tempe called Val-Tech Manufacturing.  It's a short run production, prototype, fix and repair kind of shop.  I learned all kinds of good skills from the old timers that used to work there.  I hadn't been back to say hello in over a year and it had been over 5 years since I touched an engine lathe or Hardinge chucker.  I had a project in mind that's been floating around on the forums for a good year or so.  I can't imagine paying someone else over $150 for some simple parts I could easily make myself.  Plus, I already had the Li-ion cells and the charger.  I made the parts from some scrap UHMW and a small piece of brass rod.  So anyways, an hour later, here's the results.  Just like riding a bike....  :thumbsupanim

Oh yeah, my SDC is about a 1/3lb lighter now and should get more run time, but I'll have to test that out later.  :head:

Luke

20180208_155817 (2).jpg

• Like 6

Good job it will get 2X more run time than the stock setup :thumbsupanim plus unlike the stock setup or alks it wont slowly lose its voltage-it holds its voltage till the end-Ive been running this setup for sometime now with no problems at all :head: Mike C...:200:

Edited by Mike C...
  • Thanks 2

Making coils, battery packs ect, ect....pretty soon you will be making gold :)
Nice inventive skills.
Tom H.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, TomH said:

Making coils, battery packs ect, ect....pretty soon you will be making gold :)
Nice inventive skills.
Tom H.

I'll settle for just finding a little more gold from time to time.  :yesss:

• Like 3

Thats a good idea Luke:thumbsupanim

One suggestion I'd like to offer is to increase the diameter of the brass contacts. The SDC suffers from a poor battery spring design...at least the early ones did. The small tip of the spring will pop off the battery nipple occasionally causing the machine to go through the initial startup process again and again. Alkaline batteries resist this effect because the entire top surface is the contact. The battery can wiggle around all day long and never lose contact. 

I know somebody that would be interested if you ever make another set. He hates those rechargeable C batteries. 

• Like 1

The brass contact is .425" dia.  Which just happened to be a convenient number since I cut them from 7/16 hex rem pieces.

My SDC has never (not yet) had the issue with the intermittent contact.

Also, the batteries don't wiggle.  The Li-ion fits snug in the adaptor and the overall reduction in weight seems to reduce the tendency further.

I might be tempted to make another set.  :brows:

• Like 1

.425 is substantially bigger than the little nipple on most rechargeable C's. Good job :yesss:

• Thanks 1

That's nicely done Luke :) My SDC did have the intermittent battery issue until I added a piece of card board between the batteries. 

• Like 1

Hey Luke..... wheres mine :idunno:

Sitting right here....    You want to come pick them up?  :4chsmu1:

I was planning on just handing them off at the outing, but I could probably arrange to get them to you before them. 

I don't think it would cost more than a few bucks to mail them to you.

Let me know....

Outing is good Luke and was just funnin ya. I figured I'd meet ya at your secret patch or something :ROFL: Now I don't want to because the aliens will give me a stone :yikes:

• Haha 5