Nugget Shooter Forums
frank c

Question, for my peers

There are some on this forum that have great knowledge, I am curious if this means we will expect a "cooler/colder year ?
"This spotless period is a prelude to the approaching period of solar minimum next year, when the Sun’s activity will be at the low end of its 11-year cycle"

https://sdo.gsfc.nasa.gov/gallery/main/item/873?utm_source=FBPAGE&utm_medium=NASA - National Aeronautics and Space Administration&utm_campaign=NASASocial&linkId=47809165

Frank; you are a man without Peers....as to the weather-who can say?

fred

• Like 1

FRED, you could have been a "comedian" , why did you let the world go with out your talents ?
AYE, I took that to mean we would have a cooler year/summer. What say you ?
No sunspots , means no/less activity = cooler temps for us Earthlings ?
I tell ya so far we have had a VERY easy winter in N.W. Az. compared to the 12 I've experienced here.

I think you need to ask a solar scientist, but I don't believe there is a correlation between solar activity and regional temperatures.

• Like 1

Thanks Mike, I would have thought, more "action" more heat.

I believe it refers more to action like solar flares and coronal bursts, probably much more applicable to things like satellites and stuff in orbit.

• Like 1

Sorry, Frank..I got to tease you on the net 'cause I hardly ever see you in person.

I believe Mike is correct...sun activity has little to do with global climate conditions...

fred

• Like 1

I don't claim to have great knowledge :arrowheadsmiley: but the scientists are saying overall the global temperature is increasing. They say that doesn't mean we still won't experience possible highs and lows but overall as a global temperature average we are increasing. For instance... last month when most of the US was under the Artic Blast the rest of the globe was reading slightly above average temperatures. Global temps have changed through the eons long before man entered the picture but the BIG question today is....Has man contributed? 

True Fact:

Back around the mid 1800's there was a solar flare that practically shut down the telegraph communication across the US. Scientists also say this is a very real possibility today and just think of all the systems that could be affected in this computer age?! As Mikestang stated above I don't think solar flares contribute to temperature changes but they can reek havoc to electrical systems. 

Frank C,

There is little correlation between the average solar sunspot maximum and minimum cycle and Earth's weather. Otherwise, we would see a 11 year climate cycle on Earth, and we don't. The Maunder Minimum is another story. There appears to be much stronger correlation to decadal climate and the "Little Ice Age" from about 1645 to 1715. However, the match up is not perfect.

Bottom line is that the sunspot minimum which we are entering should have no appreciable effect on climate.

One side note, every time you take a transcontinental flight to Asia or Europe at night you always fly over arctic and subarctic regions. Look out the north window and you will see the Aurora Borealis nearly every time, even during solar minimum.. I last watched it for 3.5 hours flying to Europe in October form Phoenix. No one else looks out the plane windows, I do. 

Enjoy!

billpeters

• Like 1

Long time lurker but I what I lack in meteorite knowledge I know about weather. I usually look at the Climate Prediction center's forecast. There are so many things in play locally from the El Nino/La Nina cycle to the Pacific Decadal Oscillation that come into play. I'll leave it to the computers models to try and figure it all out... looks like Arizona will be hotter and drier than normal three months out.

Here is the three month forecast for heat

off01_temp.gif

• Like 1