Nugget Shooter Forums
ArcticDave

GB2 finds a 1/2 lb nugget...

Of copper :25r30wi:

Lo and behold, my propensity for finding strange things that aren't gold, continues!

Drove Patches into a new area loaded with OLD mining activity. Found some small lodes on the hillsides that were scratched off and the wash was dug out.

Figuring they must have been finding some color to move that much dirt. We decided to spend a couple of hours digging crap in hopes of finding a leftover nugget or two.

Did find some interesting stuff, but no gold. The copper slug and an old Cutex lipstick tube were the prizes of the day.

I didn't have any pool acid to clean the copper, so I hit it with my soda blaster.

It appears to be slop from pouring hot copper from the smelter into a mold. One side is flat like it landed on a steel table.

20180201_162508.jpg

20180204_083930.jpg

20180204_084047.jpg

20180204_083804.jpg

20180204_091517.jpg

Edited by ArcticDave
added pic
  • Like 12

INTERESTING FINDS AND THRILLING FOR A MINUTE OR SO....sorry about the caps.

fred

Nice finds Dave.  Hey, check that lipstick tube there might be some gold dust inside.  An old timer might have taken the lipstick out and used it fore a poke?  

Old Tom  :brows:

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, fredmason said:

INTERESTING FINDS AND THRILLING FOR A MINUTE OR SO....sorry about the caps.

fred

You hit the nail on the head! My heart skipped a beat or three when I saw glittering metal down in the hole where my pick scraped it.

16 minutes ago, Old Tom said:

Nice finds Dave.  Hey, check that lipstick tube there might be some gold dust inside.  An old timer might have taken the lipstick out and used it fore a poke?  

Old Tom  :brows:

I may try harder to open it now!

I was concerned why a miner needed lipstick... that brings to mind all kinds of questions I don't want answers for. :25r30wi:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

With copper over $3.00 a pound, you might have paid for your gas for the day.😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Really nice finds Dave!!  I think you have found more copper nuggets the most.

Mike

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Morlock said:

With copper over $3.00 a pound, you might have paid for your gas for the day.😉

I'm halfway there at least. Better than most trips :arrowheadsmiley:

7 hours ago, mcgator said:

Really nice finds Dave!!  I think you have found more copper nuggets the most.

Mike

I do seem to find strange things fairly often.  :miner:

My Dad's birthday is next month, so I think I'm going to send it back to Alaska for his birthday present. He will get a charge out of his new Arizona paperweight. :yesss:

• Like 2

Beautiful find :thumbsupanim

• Thanks 1

I left the slab in some muriatic acid overnight and it was covered in black slime this morning. I ran it through my ultrasonic cleaner and the piece came out great. Photos do not do it justice. There is a  mesmerizing play of copper fire across the surface.

20180213_092838.jpg

20180213_092949.jpg

• Like 3

Very nice find Dave and the photo's look great to me. AzNuggetBob

• Like 1

correction

Edited by AzNuggetBob

On 2/13/2018 at 10:04 AM, ArcticDave said:

I left the slab in some muriatic acid overnight and it was covered in black slime this morning. I ran it through my ultrasonic cleaner and the piece came out great. Photos do not do it justice. There is a  mesmerizing play of copper fire across the surface.

20180213_092838.jpg

20180213_092949.jpg

I am pondering that crystallization pattern, gives me the impression that it formed very fast, possibly under water at one time?
 AzNuggetBob

Edited by AzNuggetBob

Very interesting find.  You first shot of the second set of pictures it almost seems alive. Great photos.

• Like 1

Dave I agree about the copper mill pour/spill theory you have on this rock and for the same reasons. but first off the crystallized surface has me puzzled a bit. Its not as easy to crystallize copper as it is steel. also I think your soda sand blast method may be a great alternative to acid etch on some meteorites as well. after doing an acid etch you have to neutralize the acid and seal it so it doesn't continue to erode (rust/corrode)the surface window of the meteorite later. and its a real pitb, but not so with your soda/sand blast method. :thumbsupanim
Are you using baking soda?

AzNuggetBob

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AzNuggetBob said:

Dave I agree about the copper mill pour/spill theory you have on this rock and for the same reasons. but first off the crystallized surface has me puzzled a bit. Its not as easy to crystallize copper as it is steel. also I think your soda sand blast method may be a great alternative to acid etch on some meteorites as well. after doing an acid etch you have to neutralize the acid and seal it so it doesn't continue to erode (rust/corrode)the surface window of the meteorite later. and its a real pitb, but not so with your soda/sand blast method. :thumbsupanim
Are you using baking soda?

AzNuggetBob

Yes I did. Works great at removing softer stuff without damage. I just use a cheap handheld sandblaster with a crimped pickup tube...that reduces the volume of soda picked up. It won't take off very hard deposits, but it worked great for cleaning the VW engine case and heads on my airplane project. It cleans off all the old crap without harming the magnesium and aluminum.

The piece looked great when it came out if the acid! A few days later now and its darkened considerably. I wish I could find a way to keep it fresh looking. Maybe vacuum packing?:89:

I have been wondering about the origin too Bob. There was ZERO sign of any smelter activity in the area. There was a small slab of concrete about 2' square...maybe they were running small sample batches for testing? I found the copper right below the small slab. I can find very little information on how the old timers recovered copper in small batches. The slag looks odd too. All the slag I've seen in the past had a much higher silica content. Makes me wonder what they used as a fluxing agent? 

I did a little research into the site and the only record found was a single filing date in 1953. Copper and gold were the listed commodities. 

Dave I didnt realize you acid etched it first. I was thinking you just sand blasted it with baking soda. I use mixed baking soda on meteorites mixed with water to neutralize the acid and heat it to remove the water. now you got me thinking, why not just face it, polish and sand blast with soda? then seal.  Ive tried several things from oil to clear coat on them to seal. Ive tried sand blasting on meteorites before but the media I tried was too abrasive.

Another idea, I have and use an airbrush etcher for other things. very concentrated spray and doesn't cost much to put together a set-up. but Ive never tried baking soda blasting on a meteorite windows with no acid etch at all.?.
AzNuggetBob

Edited by AzNuggetBob

1 hour ago, AzNuggetBob said:

Dave I didnt realize you acid etched it first. I was thinking you just sand basted it with baking soda. I use mixed baking soda on meteorites mixed with water to neutralize the acid and heat it to remove the water. now you got me thinking, why not just face it, polish and sand blast with soda? then seal.  Ive tried several things from oil to clear coat on them to seal. Ive tried sand blasting on meteorites before but the media I tried was too abrasive.

Another idea, I have and use an airbrush etcher for other things. very concentrated spray and doesn't cost much to put together a set-up. but Ive never tried baking soda blasting on a meteorite windows with no acid etch at all.?.
AzNuggetBob

I'm not sure it's abrasive enough to take the crust off or not. It is pretty gentle. Stings a bit if you get your fingers in the way, but otherwise pretty harmless. Wear a mask though...

I had blasted it first and it did take off all the green verdigris and some of the black. It got much cleaner with the muriatic acid.

I used a ultrasonic cleaner with a solution of baking soda and water to neutralize the acid. That worked real well.

I have it back in the acid today. I tried some clear coat to keep the color bright with lackluster results. Maybe I'll try a light oil next.

Dave not trying to jack your thread but something else I just thought about was paste wax. good ol car wax. I use it on my custom knife blades and it works great. some of them have been on display for years with no rust and no sticky oil. The blades are Damascus and I acid etch them first with muratic acid to raise the grain of between the two types of joined steel (mild and high carbon) and neutralize with baking soda and distilled water, wipe off and dry them as soon as possible and mild heat (blow dryer) and wax them. just like meteorites. I don't let the paste wax dry to a white on them. I apply the wax and brush it off as it drys with a soft tooth brush. works great no rust. I use it on the nickel guard too. should work on your copper. I haven't waxed this blade in three years and the dust blows right off.
sorry the photo is a little blurry and a lot of glare.
 AzNuggetBob

001.JPG

• Like 1

Very nice knife. I had thought about purchasing one years ago but too expensive for me at the time.

I used to use Renaissance Wax for preservation of meteorites to keep them rust free. It's not a car wax. It was developed and formulated for use on antiques by the British Museum. It's pretty expensive  but does an excellent job.

12 hours ago, wet/dry washer said:

Specific gravity test gold?

There could be some Bob, but I doubt it would be enough to bother with. I would hope they were smart enough to separate the gold from the crushed ore before they tried smelting it. If they didn't...wouldn't gold, being heavier, settle at the bottom of the crucible? Or would it alloy with the copper?

4 hours ago, AzNuggetBob said:

Dave not trying to jack your thread but something else I just thought about was paste wax. good ol car wax. I use it on my custom knife blades and it works great. some of them have been on display for years with no rust and no sticky oil. The blades are Damascus and I acid etch them first with muratic acid to raise the grain of between the two types of joined steel (mild and high carbon) and neutralize with baking soda and distilled water, wipe off and dry them as soon as possible and mild heat (blow dryer) and wax them. just like meteorites. I don't let the paste wax dry to a white on them. I apply the wax and brush it off as it drys with a soft tooth brush. works great no rust. I use it on the nickel guard too. should work on your copper. I haven't waxed this blade in three years and the dust blows right off.
sorry the photo is a little blurry and a lot of glare.
 AzNuggetBob

001.JPG

Thats a great idea! I have a tub of johnsons wax. I'll give it a try :)

Gold, copper both melt around 2,000. Know of a deposit of copper ore that assay gold, and silver. It's worth more as a gemstone than separating the metals.

Shellac and Johnson wax to preserve, left it for you.

9 hours ago, wet/dry washer said:

Gold, copper both melt around 2,000. Know of a deposit of copper ore that assay gold, and silver. It's worth more as a gemstone than separating the metals.

Shellac and Johnson wax to preserve, left it for you.

Which would be better...the Johnsons or the shellac?  The shellac might be easier to remove if it needed to be.

Coat with shallac then Johnson wax if not handled much forget the wax.

May be back to the desert in March.

• Like 1

All natural Copper has a Gold Content..

• Like 2