Nugget Shooter Forums
Rod

Junkyard Dog Wash - Literally

Been meaning to post this for a few weeks...We've passed through this area a couple of times in the last few years. It’s kind of funny how much equipment we’ve found left in the deserts and mountains over the years. Seeing good equipment left to waste just always makes me wonder why people never go back for things? :89: In just these pics there is over $1,000 in equipment: a drywasher and two vacuums. Not to mention the buckets, pans, shovels, knee pads, etc. Enough equipment for two people easily. Why did these guys never go back? Struck it rich, lazy, lost their way, knuckleheads?

Regardless, no one has touched their stuff for a few years and at this point it's all rusty, dry rotted junk. No matter the why, it's this kind of thing gives prospectors and outdoors folk in general a bad reputation for trashing the public lands. If you leave crap laying around to rot - you’re part of the problem :nono: Don’t give the greenies cause. We named it the Junkyard Dog wash.

h9.jpg

h7.jpg

h6.jpg

h5.jpg

h3.jpg

h2.jpg

Edited by Rod
  • Like 3
  • Irritated 3

Worse case scenario, maybe the person died and never made it back there. ?  !

Did you ever think that those guys were living off the land and are now in jail, happens a lot.  Used to be income tax evaders would set up camp in the boonies and if you would come around they would peg a shot off in your direction.  Saw one hauled off of the Swastika mine up by Crown King once.  

Tom and I picked up some things left for quite a while yesterday.  Table, chairs, etc.  Fits well in the dumpster rather than in the field.  Don't take much to tidy up a bit.  :m2c:

Old Tom

3 minutes ago, Old Tom said:

Did you ever think that those guys were living off the land and are now in jail, happens a lot.  Used to be income tax evaders would set up camp in the boonies and if you would come around they would peg a shot off in your direction.  Saw one hauled off of the Swastika mine up by Crown King once.  

Tom and I picked up some things left for quite a while yesterday.  Table, chairs, etc.  Fits well in the dumpster rather than in the field.  Don't take much to tidy up a bit.  :m2c:

Old Tom

12 minutes ago, frank c said:

Worse case scenario, maybe the person died and never made it back there. ?  !

Yep Frank and OT, we came up with a ton of theories by the campfire. It's all just speculation at best. Getting this stuff out of here would require a little more effort than just tossing it in the back of a nearby truck, it's a short hike, easy stuff. The condition of the plastic is sun baked and degraded, a lot of it just crumbles with movement - trash bags required and we didn't think of that on return trips through the area. Usually if someone was living in the area that is obvious, and no sign of that here, just equipment in a somewhat remote wash that requires a short hike. 

• Like 1

I might be willing to clean that stuff up for that drywasher......

I guess it would depend on the distance of the 'short hike'.

Learning of another location where I could poke around with my detector would probably be worth the effort.  :brows:

:4chsmu1:

• Like 2

I would say they had a run in with the Elementals  image.jpeg  :4chsmu1: Mike C...:200:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, LukeJ said:

I might be willing to clean that stuff up for that drywasher......

I guess it would depend on the distance of the 'short hike'.

Learning of another location where I could poke around with my detector would probably be worth the effort.  :brows:

:4chsmu1:

I'll give you a hand Luke,....  between the two of us, we'll have that wash cleaned up in no time,.... AND my detector is turned on and ready to go.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, LowPoint said:

I'll give you a hand Luke,....  between the two of us, we'll have that wash cleaned up in no time,.... AND my detector is turned on and ready to go.

Me too! 

I bet the guy got hurt or bit by a snake out there and could never or didn't want to go back. Something like this happened at a half framed house by land my father owned outside of Ashfork. All the  premium tools you could ever want to build a home sitting out in the elements for a year or more as far as he could tell. 

1 hour ago, Old Tom said:

Used to be income tax evaders would set up camp in the boonies 

Or escape convicts. My buddy's uncle up in Colorado is an avid dirt bike rider,  sometime back in the 90's he was riding alone way up in the mountains outside of Denver, all of a sudden two guys jumped out of the trees and tried to lasso him off his bike with ropes. Lucky for him he got away.  He told us to never ride,  hike or 4 wheel without a firearm in the  mountains.  He always rode with a pistol on his hip after that. He swore up and down they were escape convicts living up there. Cant  imagine what they would have done to him. :nutty:

• Like 2

Sounds like a few of you were around the campfire with us speculating and drinking :oregonian_winesmiley: :rolleyes: its kind of funny where people's minds go. My guess is far less sinister. People can just be lazy. Seriously tho, there is zero sign of anyone living there or being there long term. There is equipment there for two people, was not outfitted for one guy. And they handstacked the wash here and there over the course of a few hundred feet. They had the right equipment and knew the right technique. Nothing special on either account, most prospectors worth their salt have good equipment and technique. My partners and I have left equipment when working an area for extended time but we always went back for it. I know where a complete dredge and tool box are too if anyone wants them :4chsmu1: maybe we can open a "pre owned certified" equipment shop :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Rod is there a road next to it? looks like a yard sale from a pickup roll over? AzNuggetBob

Maybe they hit the jackpot and didn't feel it was necessary to haul everything back out.

Edited by Morlock

I bet if they had a quality drywasher that worked like a Keene 140 or 151 they would of gotten it. Handstackers rock!!

13 hours ago, jjbond said:

EGADS!!!! You've found Adam and Boulderdash's secret equipment stash :D

Not our stuff.  I hate those gas powered vacuums. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

58 minutes ago, boulder dash said:

Not our stuff.  I hate those gas powered vacuums. 

"REALLY" !??!,.....    I bought a bran-New one a couple of years back for around $300.00 from a dealer;  took it out and it completely paid for itself in Gold in one day!!!  Then I sold some of the Gold to the dealer for cash.  Actually, I'd say by now it has already paid for itself in Gold about 3-times over, although I don't use it all the time.   But it still runs great, is ready to run anytime,.... And it will suck cracks and crevices dry; ...roots and all.:yesss:

• Like 1

Something UN GOOD happened I would Say.  No One would leave a Gas Vac and other decent equipment like that without cause.   As dire as things look that Vac could be Rebuild no issues.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AzNuggetBob said:

Rod is there a road next to it? looks like a yard sale from a pickup roll over? AzNuggetBob

Nope, no road nearby the equipment. Zero possibility of getting a vehicle anywhere near there for a roll over. This stuff was hiked in. 

1 hour ago, homefire said:

Something UN GOOD happened I would Say.  No One would leave a Gas Vac and other decent equipment like that without cause.   As dire as things look that Vac could be Rebuild no issues.

You'd be surprised what people leave out in the sticks. We've found more than one drywasher and dredge over the years. Sometimes people work an area and stash their equipment. It makes sense to do that when you are working an area over a period of weeks and have to hike stuff in a few miles. We've left stuff for weeks working multi-mile hike in spots, but always took it home when the job was done. Why people never come back to get the stuff is the fun part to discuss with beers around a fire :) Always a grin as people begin focusing on the  more elaborate dark scenarios.

"I woke up with a shot glass in my boot, the desert sun was beating down hard and it was not even 7am. What happened last night? All I can remember is Lola dancing in the firelight and a few aces and one eyed jacks. One thing was fer certain, Lola was no where to be seen, neither was my poke! Figured I'd best fry up some quail eggs and make some javelina bacon before tracking her down through the creosote. Suddenly, across the gully I heard folks a yellin! Despite the pounding in my head I grabbed ol Betsy (my 45-70 buffaler gun) and ran to see what the calamity were all about! Looks like my mining neighbor, Red Dirt Dave was in serious trouble. Ol' Duke and Shifty Eye Waltz had showed up and was claim jumpin!. By the time I had crested the ridge, Red Dirt shot ol' Duke in the leg. Duke stumbled and knocked his partner Shifty Eye into the fire. Ol' Shifty jumped up out of the fire, took a step, fell, and then got bit by a king cobra! By this time Dave done reloaded his black powder rifle, took a shot of whiskey and fired a ball off at Shifty. He missed but the ball hit Lola in the rear! She had been sleeping on a rock. Lola jumped up, grabbed my poke and ran off toward town! Ol Shifty grabbed that mean ol' cobra by the tail and whipped it at Red Dirt. The cobra sunk his teeth into Red Dirt's neck.It all happened so fast and there twerent nothin' that I could do for any of them. Duke bled out, Ol' Shifty and Red Dirt done died faster than a lizard runnin' on a hot rock from the cobra venom. I headed off through the brush in search of Lola and my poke. Within a few days, a pack of mountain lions made off with their bodies. All that was left is their equipment rotting in the sun. I got my poke back and Lola too, seems she had a burr under her saddle towards me after my comment about Sweet Lips Sally and a table dance at The Eager Beaver Saloon. Try as we may over the next twenty years Lola and I could never find way our back to that golden gully or our camp" :rolleyes: You'll have to excuse the flawed naturalism of the scenario :rolleyes:

The plastic parts of the vacs and engine housings are so degraded and crumbly I doubt they would be of use on a rebuild. Might be able to salvage the engines/carbs with rebuild kits. The drywasher frame is aluminum, the grizzly steel. Both are still usable with minor effort. 

Aside from this stuff (and a few much older claim markers) you'd never know anyone was working in the area. The road into this area is somewhat remote and requires a 4x4. The equipment is about 1/3rd of a mile from the road, hiked into the wash. Really kind of a neat area overall. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Being some what of a Small Engine NUTT I would have grabbed it up.

You can buy a new Carb for those things for like $6.00.   NUTTEN !

One of the guys got snake bit or hurt badly .

See any freash buried digs were to hide a body ?

I really bet someone brand new bought that equipment from a since closed prospecting store, ran out there randomly set up, left it there to come back, and couldn't find the cactus he parked next to.

I was walking around my claim this month and found a camper parked on what I thought was my claim.  Turned out that it was on my neighbors claim.  I know that they can camp wherever they want, but the only reason to be this far out is prospecting.  It looks like the trailer has been there a while.  Smelt of mold from the outside, both tires were flat, and the canvas on the sides were torn, but I had been to this spot two months before and it wasn't there.  When I walk up a hill, I see another pull behind camper about a half mile away.  I've found a couple of more out there that have been abandoned for years, probably decades, those have mostly had the plywood rotted out and the aluminum left.

Since this has been put there in the last couple months, I expect the owners to pick it up when the weather turns hot, and I wouldn't be surprised if they look on this forum.  If it's your trailer, just bring a couple of trailer tires with you.  A tire plug probably won't work on these tires.

P1070401.JPG

Amazing how much good/bad/ugly left for other folks to clean or glean from?? Found a few myself over the years just like someone got up and walked off and left everything,even a pan on the fire with rotted food etc etc-John

On 1/26/2018 at 8:26 PM, jjbond said:

EGADS!!!! You've found Adam and Boulderdash's secret equipment stash :D

Not mine.....We do not use equipment like that. Maybe this person fell down a mine shaft, and died on impact !  :yikes:

Edited by adam

I was following this thread and like ya'll was amazed at the equipment left out there. Kept thinking of different circumstances that would cause someone to leave equipment behind......but  for that long of period? I was hoping it wasn't possibly a case for Rusty West on YouTube about strange National and State Park disappearances...talk about some freaky vanishings :idunno: 

3 hours ago, Randall said:

I was following this thread and like ya'll was amazed at the equipment left out there. Kept thinking of different circumstances that would cause someone to leave equipment behind......but  for that long of period? I was hoping it wasn't possibly a case for Rusty West on YouTube about strange National and State Park disappearances...talk about some freaky vanishings :idunno: 

That's what happens when your messin with Sasquatch... 

• Haha 1