Nugget Shooter Forums
jjbond

Interesting video for you thinking about using a GM1000 on hot ground.

Interesting video for you thinking about a using Gold Monster 1000 on hot ground.

Edited by jjbond
  • Haha 1
  • Irritated 2

From what I've been taught and what I've learned with first-hand experience, the first thing I noticed about this video is that they didn't ground balance properly to start with. In very hot ground, with any type of interference in the area, that will cause erratic signals. They might not be impressed with the monster, but if they had used it properly they should have dug and would have found that target early on when it was bouncing back and forth between iron & gold in all metal mode & auto settings. Just :m2c:

• Like 6

Maybe they ground balanced it off camera or before starting the video. :o)

• Haha 2

Unless they edited that part out, it appeared they simply turned it on & went for it. Also, I found that manual settings don't work well for me in hot ground at all. I got a lot of erroneous noise and signals on very highly mineralized soil when using manual mode and it drove me nuts until I realized that it works much better and quieter in the Auto and Auto+ mode. By letting the processor do it's thing, it's a lot easier to find and pinpoint targets even in iron-rich areas. The guys who made that video said they had only used their monster a few times. I understand where they are coming from because I experienced the same sort of problems myself until I tried switching modes... Then I started finding tiny quail shot 3" deep in in an area with a LOT of hot rocks and iron-stained quartz, so I know it will detect gold if it's being used properly.

• Like 10

Oregal, I think you hit the nail on the head.  Funny in one sequence I think the guy tuned out the target with auto GB and said he lost it. 🤔

• Like 2

This video has been around for a long time now and at this forum twice and they make several mistakes in how they are using proper ground balancing procedure for this detector. There is a micro processor on board and being fully automatic MUST be balanced properly. I have been using one for months now and know them very well and this video proves once again that getting your detector from someone that will train you is very important and I could have straightened that issue out with less than 10 minutes showing them proper setup. The makers of the video have also now admitted it was simply user error due to inexperience. I too was baffled at first with the 1000, then I took the time to learn it.

The GM 1000 is a very different technology than other VLF detectors and I think many here that are kicking nugget butt with them will also agree that at first it was confusing dealing with the micro processor having to learn the ground again any time it is lifted more than say 7 inches above the ground and it takes a good several seconds (10 or more in hot spots) pumping the coil while moving it around a bit to calm it back down as it re learns the ground. Once I learned this detector I was quickly amazed at how well it will find gold tiny to chunky.

Yes I still use my 7000 in deep ground, but when I need a VLF the GM 1000 is my go to for hunting shallow areas and bedrock now hands down. As far as the video goes funny it is still up and I can prove it wrong to anyone that wants to see it by showing you the detector run wrong and then correctly.....

• Like 14

16 hours ago, kwah said:

Funny in one sequence I think the guy tuned out the target with auto GB and said he lost it.

Yes, that's what it looked like to me, too. I always carry a test nugget with me, just to periodically verify that I haven't accidentally taught my monster to tune gold out when I'm on very hot ground. In those conditions the auto settings are awesome as long as you gb properly. Running in manual settings on hot ground (enough to quiet down the noise so you can hear targets) usually requires lowering sensitivity settings to the point where you lose way too much depth AND sensitivity. That was my problem in the beginning but now I know better. :4chsmu1:

I have to strongly agree with Bill and Lisa as far as running the Monster. This machine NEEDS to be properly ground balanced no matter using the 10 manual sensitivity or the two automatic sensitivity settings. "Sampling" the ground by ground balancing a good sample of the ground is very important. In actuality if properly ground balanced most ground can be detected with very little Threshold warble and in many cases no warble at all! IT IS A DIFFERENT VLF machine than any of us have experienced before. There is a learning curve and a short session with Bill or myself can and will shorten that curve. So here is the advertisement: If you want to increase your chance of finding gold with your monster do yourself a favor and invest in a lesson with Bill or myself! There are just a few quirks we have both discovered about the machine and knowing them makes all the difference in the world finding those micro nuggets you are missing ... I am assuming the big ones are hard to miss no matter your methods! :old:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mike Furness said:

a few quirks we have both discovered

Interesting...Would you care to elaborate on what those might be?  Thanks

That's a terrible video and quite irritating,  should be removed.  You CANNOT swing the GM that fast.  They have no idea how to correctly operate the machine. Doesn't show settings they are in,  maybe this was all said already but I was to mad to read through this post.  More b.s. as usual. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SanDomingoJim said:

I will let Mike answer, but will add that ANYTIME this detector is lifted to high off the ground or swung to fast it will cause it to run erratically until once again balanced. It takes the micro processor several seconds to re learn the ground hot or not after being lifted or taken out of balance by miss use making it very unstable and noisy.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, SanDomingoJim said:

Jim ... As an instructor I have to have some secrets! Besides if I told you outside a lesson I would have to kill you! :arrowheadsmiley::4chsmu1::old:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Mike Furness said:

I would have to kill you!

Mike, I get that kind of response at home.  Guess I don't want to die bad enough to push the issue.   :4chsmu1:

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Mike Furness said:

Jim ... As an instructor I have to have some secrets! Besides if I told you outside a lesson I would have to kill you! :arrowheadsmiley::4chsmu1::old:

As a former software developer, I agree 100%, as an instructor, intellectual property is your product and while occasion free tips are nice, if someone wants to keep their kids fed and a roof over their house, they have to charge for the valuable info they have.

• Thanks 1

That video cracks me up every time, but also could be damaging for there sales if people/ newcomers think these guys know how to use this machine as they obviously have NO Idea how to use that particular detector! It’s a joke!.
Please take NO notice of that particular Video.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Jimmy M said:

Mikey, as a personal favor to me, please don't kill Bill. :}

Not to worry Jimmy ... Bill and I are on the same page ... I work with him and he is the big cheese of the outfit ... why would I cut the cheese that feeds me!? :thumbsupanim:old:

• Haha 3